1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hummer is dead; Sale failed; GM will close it.

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Crom, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    General Motors said Wednesday that it was shutting down Hummer, the brand of big sport-utility vehicles that became synonymous with the term “gas guzzler,” after a deal to sell it to a Chinese manufacturer fell apart, The New York Times’s Nick Bunkley reports from Detroit.
    G.M. said only that its planned sale of Hummer to the Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Company “cannot be completed,” without giving a reason, but the $150 million deal had been stalled as the companies awaited approval from the Chinese government. G.M. had been trying to sell Hummer for a year, and struck a preliminary deal with Tengzhong last June.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/g-m-to-close-hummer-after-sale-collapses/

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    oh no, what are we going to do :jerkoff:

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Not surprising. Never seemed like the Chinese government wanted this to go through, and with how the Saturn and Saab deals played out with GM it's not all that surprising. Guess people will have to find something else to throw 26" rims on since there will be no more H2. Although I always thought the H3T's were badass, although with the V8 they're nearly $40k and I'd never spend that kind of coin on a midsize truck.

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I just shed a tear. Oh wait, no I didn't. Although, I do feel bad for anyone that loses a job because of this.

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Even with the cheaper H3 they sold well under 10,000 vehicles last year. Honestly I don’t even think it’s the economy. I personally would not buy one just because I would look like a jackass driving one.

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I never really like the civilian brand of Hummer and I always laughed at the people who put big shiny rims on them.

It has been said that Hummers death was long over due.

Death to the Hummer!

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No surprise. Pretty much everything but the H1 was a rebadged Suburban or Tahoe. When Hummer only offered the H1, it was a status symbol thing - they were hardish to get and relatively expensive. When GM offered mainstream models, it became "I'm so fucking insecure about something that I can't even compensate with a god damn diesel truck."

Not surprised it's gone.

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Guess the Saturn and Hummer division of GM Aren't too big to fail after all! It's a shame, the Saturn division was starting to come around and actually produce something appealing.

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    The only real Hummer is the original military vehicle. The H2 is a soccer mom mobile and don't get me started on the H3.

10. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    BBY2KS2K

BBY2KS2K Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DC
    16x7.5 TRD Bronze "beadlock" wheels without the beadlocks w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Revo II tires (non-winter) 16x8 KMC Enduro w/ 265 70 16 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1 tires (winter) McGard Spline Drive lugs and locks, Satoshi Grill, BLHM, blacked out badges, Aries side steps, Smittybilt light bar with PIAA 540 plasma ion fogs, Aero-Turbine muffler
    I'd rather see Hummer dissapear than be sucked up by the Chinese. Just seems like blasphemy for something of an American icon (for better or worse) to be sucked up by the Chinese.

11. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey, hey, goodbye.:wave:

Products Discussed in

To Top