1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mac Book Pro, who owns one????

Discussion in 'Technology' started by eordonez, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Aug 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    eordonez

eordonez [OP] Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Hi there, Im shopping for a new computer, i currently have a workstation i built myself, but it has more than 2 years now, Im thinking of buying a laptop since i don't have an office (i work from home) and i pretty much don't like bringing clients over, so i decided to go for a laptop and thinking about the mac book pro 15", what are your experiences with these computers?? or mac whatsoever? Thanks for your inputs....:eek:

2. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    bakerism

bakerism Active Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 dropped
    BSP matching grill, Carriage Works Billet Grill, BHLM, X-Runner Rims, Debadged, Air System, DJM 3/4
    What type of work do you plan to do with the laptop?

3. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Hi there, welcome to TW, and thanks for your reply

Well im an architect, so i will use as much as Archicad, even autocad (windows xp through bootcamp) Adobe CS3 suite (photoshop, ilustrator, acrobat) and general use, word processing, sheets, etc..... im not planing on using it for 3d renderings (3dstudio max) since my current PC can still handle that, and i only do that here at home....

4. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    bakerism

bakerism Active Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 dropped
    BSP matching grill, Carriage Works Billet Grill, BHLM, X-Runner Rims, Debadged, Air System, DJM 3/4
    I currently have 15" mac book pro 2.33GHz with 3 GBs of ram that I use for graphics and video editing. Its been good to me so far compared to my last pc but I haven't yet tried to run bootcamp. I plan to soon when I update to the newer osx but Iv heard so many issues with the newer osx Im not sure I want to try just yet.

5. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    I dont have experience with the Mac Book pro, but i have two apple computers.
    (1 iBook G3 laptop, and 1 iMac G3 Desktop)
    They are good computers! My next computer will definitely be an Apple!:cool:
    The newer Apple computers are a little pricey though...

6. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Cool man, i have a friend using a 17" mbp, he says its top of the art, i've been told is the best for the type of work that i do....i have always used windows, im currently running windows xp x64 on this computer, but its getting harder to get support for the drivers and hardware, and the new laptops with vista, yes they carry 4gb of ram at a lower price then mac, but whats the point if the OS takes half of that just to idle.....

7. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Yeah no shit about that! i saw one MBP on a store (kinda like jcpenney, dillards, etc) its running a lil bit more higher that on apple.com, but i have a credit card from them and i can get it for 13 monthly payments and no interest.....so its kinda growing on me, but i have to decide very soon since the promotion ends friday because of back to school promotion :rolleyes:

8. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    My first Apple was for my daughter over 15 years ago that is all she used in school we still have the G4 desk top today and have never had a problem with it. I have a new Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo my wife is on an older 15" 1.5 GHz powerPC PowerBook G4 and my daughter is on a newer 13" MacBook other than some minor software issues not the OS system they have all been trouble free. In my opinion other than they are a little pricy they are worth there money for our use.

[​IMG]

9. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    hektor911

hektor911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD PreRunner SR5 OffRoad
    I do carry a 15" mac book pro! is let me tell you it works wonders, it is about 2 yrs old... you don't have to mess with viruses or spam ware or those annoying pop-ups. just be prepare (if you are currently working on a pc) to have all software in apple version.

Now, if you are serious about getting one i would recommend to wait a couple of months. I've been hearing rumors on the forums and threads that apple is getting ready to unveil a new version of the mac pro, different design, and more power. Not sure about the exact time. But, that's what I'm doing right now trying to wait.

10. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info Phantom BTW you've been away for a while.....

I tried ubuntu a few months ago, its kinda cool but... the thing is i really need the software i mentioned above or at least the same performance/options...Archicad has BIM (building information module) if you edit a wall it will update in all the project plans, views, sheets, etc....

11. Aug 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    damn it! LOL :eek: can you refer me to one of those forums??

12. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    My roommate has a Mac Book Pro. I like it because it looks cool. Funny he's a Architect/Civil Engr. major. He's seems to like it a lot. They are really expensive though. Besides I like windows because it runs practically everything, although you can find stuff for Mac, you just have to look harder and I'm too lazy. If it was easier find programs for Mac I might consider getting one.

13. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    hektor911

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
  14. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:16 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^ Im just thinking that one never catches up with technology.....the minute you buy, the minute something new comes up....

15. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    hektor911

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    good point.... that is true!! if you need one now i would suggest to go ahead and get it, if you have some time to spare then i guess it would a good to wait! The pro is a good computer, for graphics if you do renderings it would be nice addition to your business!

16. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Last year I was shopping for laptops since I was going to school. It was pretty much down to three. Thinkpad T61p, HP 8150p, and the Macbook Pro. The HP didn't come out until after I left for school, so it was down to the T61p vs the Mac.

I'm going to school for engineering (mechanical) and, at that time, I was still playing video games. As you know, the programs used for engineering and pretty much every game that I played was only on windows. Yeah, I could have done Bootcamp like you planned on doing, but what was the point if I was going to be on the windows partition pretty much the entire time?

Windows based laptops will generally cost you less than a mac with a similar config. I chose the T61p. Oh, the nice thing about the T61p is that it has a Quadro videocard, which is a workstation, not gaming, video card unline the Mac.

While the idea of being able to run OSX and Windows may seem pretty awesome, if all you do is run the windows partition, paying the extra amount for a shiny silver case and a glowing apple is pointless.

17. Aug 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    ^yea you have very good points there, thanks for your input....
    however I'm planing on doing a transition to use only mac, all the software i use can be used in mac os... the only one it cant is autodesk products (autocad and 3dsmax) I'm currently stopping the use of acad, because archicad is more efficient, but i still like 3dsmax a lot on top of Maya which can be run on both os....

i will definetely consider all your posts, its a shame i dont have many options as far as laptops here in mexico, all i can find is what is at the stores in stock, no customizing through the web.....

18. Aug 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM
    hektor911

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    if you have a relative here in the USA. or a close friend.. you can have them ship the item to your place.... it will be much cheaper than buying it in mexico.. i do that with some relatives in MTY

19. Aug 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    yea i can save about 500 bucks... im thinking on buying here because of taxes... but i still dont know... also the 13 month no interest promotion is good coz i dont have all the cash right now

20. Aug 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    hektor911

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    go for it then.... you won't regret it!

Products Discussed in

To Top