1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Turn On from Factory HU & Mounting PDX-5 Under Drivers Seat

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeSchmuck, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Feb 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    I am getting ready for my big install (waiting for the speakers to arrive) and I have some last minute concerns.

1. Does the factory HU (not JBL) have a remote turn on connection?
    Sure, I could hook up the remote on wire to an ignition switched source but I'd rather use the HU if a connection exists.

2. I would like to mount this small amplifier under the drivers seat?
    I'm sure I would use something to keep the amp off the carpet a little but would I drill through the carpet and floor of the truck or could I place a piece of plywood under the carpet and screw into that? I would really appreciate some feedback from those who actually did mount an amp under the drivers seat and any lessones they learned, things I shouldn't do.

And another question: When installing the speakers, what about someting to keep them dry from the inside of the door. I almost never see people stating they do something to protect the speakers. Is it something that should be done for these trucks?

-Joe

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    tacomarock

tacomarock Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had my system installed here in SA by *********. I can tell you this much -maybe it will help. I purchased a kit from them that has plastic round spacers and some bolts that have big washers with some sealer. So if you look under the truck. the big "washers". not really sure they are washers almost look like silver dollars with small hole. but you can see black sealer. I don't think a board will work because the spacers "lift" the amp up off the carpet and over the vent air duct whatever that little thing is.

On the speakers, can't help much other than look at online instructions

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Thanks. My speakers are scheduled to in two days from ********* so I hope they have some instructions besides the online info because I didn't see anything there talking about maintaining the water tight integrity of the rear of the speakers. If I don't get anything to cover that issue then I will add protection.

As for the stand-offs, yea, saw those there too but didn't spring for the items because I couldn't find instruction on how they went in. I just located the pictures from an installation and now I see what you mean by large washers. I actually have some like that. Looks like the holes were drilled first but watch out for the fuel lines. I think I'll cover those up with a piece of steel before I go crazy with a drill.

-Joe

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i have an amp under the seat. i didn't bolt it down or put it on anything. it just sits on the carpet. it's been there about 1.5 years without any issues.

5. Feb 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    You must not let teenagers ride in the back because I know it would be kicked by accident, In fact I'm even thinking of a metal kick guard to put in place. I'll post pics of the full install. Now if I can locate a remote turn on. I'll have to dig through the electrical diagrams to see if anything pops up.

-Joe

6. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1

access cab so nobody really rides back there. :lol:

just thinking out loud, but there are two power wires for all stereo's. one for the memory, and one to turn the radio on when you turn the key on. i don't know why you couldn't tie into that wire. i don't recall the color.

7. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Anyone have a link to a factory wire color layout for this? 05+

8. Feb 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
  9. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yea, and if you do fit someone in the back of an access cab thier little feet probably don't dangle that low :D

As for the power lines mentioned, yes, one is on all the time for the radio memory, of course I would not use that one, and the second one is switched on by the ignition key. That is a possibility however if I have the HU turned off the amplifier would still be switched on. I'm not sure what kind of noise the amp would generate in that situation, if any. That is why I'm looking for a power on signal from the radio.

Here is my current plan, I will be removing the factory radio, opening it up, adding my own remote on power wire. This should be very easy to do and I'll fuse it for possibly 1/8 amp using an inline fuse holder. The amp rating of the fuse is subject to change but I'd like to use the smallest value needed to turn on the amp. I will post detailed photos of this radio mod in a seperate thread once done.

Just recieved my electrical wires and the Stinger Hyper Twist 4 GA are very flexable. I think I may actually enjoy this installation.

-Joe

10. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    For my PDX4.100 (I think the PDX5 is similar), I built "legs" to hold the unit more level and off the floor. Also allowed for the rear floor vents to remain in place and allow air flow. Bought a 7/8" diameter wooden dowel and cut 3 pieces about 3/4" long. Placed them in 3 of the openings under the amp where the unit can stack and screwed them in place as one would normally secure the amp (driver's front corner didn't need one due to the vent). Then cut some velcro and placed them on the bottom of the legs which keeps the unit from sliding around. Also placed a swatch of velcro under the one corner that didn't need legs. Doesn't move a bit and one can rest easy knowing its held up off the floor.

[​IMG]

Pic was taken during a fit test. I later painted the legs black for a more finished look.

The PDX4.100 is a tight fit under the driver's seat. Had a little trouble with a sensor mounted on the right side (closest to the passenger) rail. Had to really wedge the amp tight against the "bulge" in the floor (visable on the left side of the pic) and place it at a slight angle to avoid the sensor when adjusting the seat position. I spent extra to get the smaller Alpine unit over another option I was looking at. Glad I did, don't see how anything bigger would fit under there. Good luck.

11. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, anything larger than a PDX or a JL HD and it wont fit. My HD is a squeeze under there and it's TINY! I still have to move stuff around under there and get it situated.

12. Feb 28, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that information. You have made my day! I will give this a try. My only consern is kids kicking the amp so I may need to bolt somthing down to stop kicking feet from hitting the amp. I could possibly mount a bar between the seat rails or something.

-Joe

13. Feb 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    You're welcome. No need for the extra protection. The velcro works almost too well. It's even a pain to move around once it comes in contact with the carpet. Besides, the amp sits far enough forward that you can't even see it unless you set the driver's seat all the way forward too. I don't think my kids will even know it's ever there. :D

14. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Well I mounted the Amp and All I need to add is the velcro but it's nice. I placed some elecrical tape over the plastic electrical connector on the right side of the seat in an effort to protect the front of the Amp from getting scratched up. Never know when you will want to sell it later.

I also found the "Remote-On". Pin 8 of the connector that provides the main power and front speaker outputs. Wish I were patient and located a pin to add to the connector block but I soldered a wire to it instead. And yes, this is a true remote on, not just power for an electric antenna. It comes on with the CD or AUX input selected. That was too easy to find but I guess it's okay.

Now if I only have the ambition to locate the proper points in the HU to provide a flat line level output (no extra bass with low volume levels). I'm not even sure the circuitry supports a flat output. If it does, I can get rid of my High level to Low Level adapter and have a flat response to bat.

15. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    what color(not the cable that you solder) was the cable of the pin ?

16. Aug 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    can you do a tutorial please?

17. Aug 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    The color of the pin was aluminum. There is no wire in the wiring harness, the connector that plugs in to the HU, pin 8, is not populated. You can make it any color you like but you would need to obtain a female pin to slide into that location. As indicated above, I took the less than ideal approach, I soldered a wire directly to the HU pin 8 and fed it to my remote on. I don't have any photos so I'm not prpared to do a tutorial. I still haven't had the time to locate the flat audio outputs and honestly, I will probably do that when I start getting irritated at the sound. So far it's good enough for me but I will admit, I don't like the booming bass at low levels and then it tapering off at higher levels.

18. Aug 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Hope you can post some pics of the install, was looking at that amp but wasn't sure on size and hoped to get it under the passenger seat.

19. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    The PDX-5 fits under the drivers seat fine, I would think it would fit under the passenger side as well. Several people have pics on the amp install, you just need to look for them.

20. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    As far as the amp's remote on wire, why not use the power antenna lead off of the HU? Every HU that I've seen has this lead.

Products Discussed in

To Top