1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance gains from transmission cooler?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmg256, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 [OP] Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
  2. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    Probably all in your head..lol...but definatly did not hurt anything...but could have done something...I am not a fan of the "lifetime fluid" I will probably change mine out after about 30k.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    subscribed.. I was just thinking about adding a tranny cooler

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    dgalleon

dgalleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
    TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 series, 6" Fabtech Lift, Dirt Logic rear shocks
    subscribed

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I just added a stock ATF Cooler and did a drain & fill @ 48k. The 3qts of used ATF was still pretty decent - smelled ok (not burnt) & wasn't discolored (normal red). Seems like it now shifts smoother during both high & low acceleration (probably just my imagination).

I don't tow anything currently. I added the Cooler hoping it might extend the life of the "lifetime" ATF and thereby the AT itself. Plus, I figure it's cheap insurance - transmissions tend to be rather expensive to repair/replace. I wondering now if should add a supplementary filter as well...

Incidently, I did the same for the Oil. I found a stock Oil Cooler at a salvage yard and installed it hoping to extend Engine life. Don't care about the Oil itself (using synthetic) since I replace it quite often anyway (3k-5k) to insure detergent agents remain effective and "suspended" junk stays suspended.

Regardless, they both give me more peace of mind when I'm hauling heavy loads (soil, firewood, construction materials, etc.).

6. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    this link has some good info...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78433&highlight=cooler

I have no way of telling temps or anything else though, just what i perceive as an improvement in smoothness and shift feel...

I have read other links associated with a problem from the transmission being slightly under filled from the factory giving unsatisfactory performance. Perhaps mine was under filled from the factory and I unknowingly fixed the issue and this is how the trans should have behaved from day one?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...s-your-transmission-shift-late-sometimes.html

Thoughts?

7. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The cooler wouldn't help performance at all... changing old fluid would. The cooler will help to keep the temps down and prevent damage under high loads (towing, driving hard, ect)... but it won't really 'enhance performance.'

Also, automatic transmissions are EXTREMELY sensitive to being at the correct fill level. After all, the only thing that's transferring power to the wheels is the torque converter, which operates only on fluid. Overfilling can damage it and have a hard time disengaging, under filling it'll slip.

8. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    X2

I was thinking of a Magnefine inline filter...

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

9. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    I figured if anything it was more to do with "fresh(er)" fluid at the correct level than the cooler itself, other than my tranny is happier now that it's not so hot?

10. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I can vouch for that! Did my initial fill with engine running and AT in "N". Just kept pumping till overflow hole started to drip. MISTAKE! Test run revealed subtle slipping during low-level acceleration - high was ok. Did the check again at correct temp (see Fortech's DIY) and was about 5 "pumps" low. 2nd test run smooth as silk. So not only do I agree with Kyoute's statement, I would caution you that it MUST be checked at precisely the correct temp range as well.

BTW, anyone ever hear of an AT Dipstick retrofit kit for the "sealed" A750F?

11. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, if it's overheating yea, it'd shift better being cooler as the fluid won't be expanded so much... but unless you're towing or doing something to cause it to get really hot (towing, urd stage III supercharger maybe? :D) it really shouldn't phase it all that much. It never hurts to have extra protection though... it's only a good thing!

12. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea it doesn't take much... I just swapped out a 700r4 on my 280z.. I still don't think I have the level quiet right (along with not having the wiring even hooked up for the lock-up converter lol). The shop that rebuilt this transmission told me they put fluid in the torque converter... well apparently they didn't (I never pulled it off to check it)... my heart about sank after getting the car back to the ground, poping it in reverse, and.... nothing but a spinning engine! lol...

13. Feb 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Ah yes, the Nissan Zs - what fond memories... In '93 I bought a brand new 300ZX Twin-Turbo (in "arrest me red" of course). $35k 17 years ago! Had to pay $400 in "luxury tax". But this car could do things in trafiic that were not possible with an ordinary car - my pride and joy for about 3 months - till one day I was making a hard right turn and the DS-door flew wide open! Faulty "bolt" on the door frame. OK, freak accidents happen now & then. Next, I tooling down the interstate at 70mph (one summer day) and almost instantaneously my front windshield is covered with frost - had to put my head out the DS-window! And the list goes on... :(

Guess what I traded it for... :)

And they think Toyota has the exclusive on life threating issues... HA!

14. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Wow man that's pretty insane. My room mate has a '90 300xz turbo... thing is a beast and never really had a problem that wasn't induced by him or his bro working on it lol. I still liked my '92 stealth TT better though haha.

This 280z is barely a nissan anymore. Small block Chevy 327 in it now... hehe.

15. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Didn't know I started a "Z" thread! What forum is this?!

16. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lol sorry 'bout the hijack... before you know it this will become a I want toyota to buy back my truck thread :D

17. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Aren't they all!?! hahahahahahaha:confused::D

18. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I'm sure yours is nice ride, I just couldn't bring myself to consider a Nissan again (i.e. - Frontier) when I made the move from sports cars to trucks. If I could get back all the money I spent on hot cars:

78 TransAm, Red ($6k in 78)
    79 Corvette, Red ($10k in 79)
    80 Corvette, Black ($15k in 80)
    82 Corvette, Red ($20k in 82)
    93 300ZX TT, Red ($35k in 93)

I'd still be driving a Tacoma today - maybe just a little newer one ;)

EDIT: But certainly one with a Tranny Cooler! There - back on subject. Sorry for the hijack :smile:

19. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    lol :p :threadjacked:

20. Feb 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lol $ is relative... hell my G35 matches your 300zx and more lol... still they're different worlds and fun. The G35's door handle actually fell off in my dad's hand... lol. Their body quality was never their strong point... but damn they sure do know how to build a drivetrain.

And my 280z is a ratty little whore that needs a lot of attention lol... but it's fun to tinker on and cheap.

[​IMG]

Also to make this post relevant to the thread :D Make sure when you install your transmission coolers they are not behind the radiator. In front of it is ok, or in another spot all together away from it is fine... behind it will just help cook the transmission faster lol (previous owner on my Z didn't understand thermodynamics I guess).

Products Discussed in

To Top