1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ordering an ARE "Z" series topper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco4x4NC, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Went to the ARE truck topper site and have decided to spend $$$ on a new factory color matched ARE "Z" topper.
    Also watched the ARE factory video, "sipped some of the koolaid" hahaha...on how they produce their products. Pretty cool video to say the least. It appears they really take pride in their product. Will add the fold down slider window for ease of cleaning and just maybe the Yakima roof rack...jury is still out on the roof rack system. I will go by the dealer tomorrow to negotiate price/order my ARE "Z" topper.

Will post pics after the "Z" arrives and is installed, they say in 2- 2.5 weeks.
    Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Its been awhile since I have purchased a topper and would like to get it right given the cost.

Punted on going by LEER dealer, went right to ARE ordered the "Z" topper with fold down slider for ease of cleaning both windows. Nixed the roof rack, just could not justify the cost for the minimal use. Take delievry around 15 March. :D The purchase/dealership experience was superb. I will post pics and a brief review after the "Z" is installed.

[​IMG]

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    That sounds a bit pricey to me.

I have a Leer 100XQ, which is their top line topper, and with the fold down window, mine was only $1,560 installed in 10/08. Can't imagine prices have gone up that much given the state of the economy.....

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.

I actually researched a LEER topper and had two former LEER dealers tell me that they dropped LEER due to quaility control issues. Not saying LEER is a bad topper, just what I learned during my research. Actually was lookoing at he LEER product from the start.

Had an ARE before and never had an issue. For what its worth.

4. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    ARE is a great line, and I looked at them too, just sounds a bit over priced compared to the other "major brands" on the market.

Did you get pricing from more than 1 dealer?

5. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got my Z last year with a Yakima rack system, vented windoors on each side, fold down front slider, dual interior lights, and a carpeted head liner for exactly what you just said. They will wheel and deal for sure. I talked them down on mine. I also didn't get in a hurry and made them sweat it a little until they came down to where I was happy.

check out mine in my photo gallery.

also, make sure you go through this thread before you order>>>> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/13598-show-me-your-shell.html

6. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    My Z series[​IMG]

7. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    My CX A.R.E is in waiting for me to pick up. Total price was 1432, I got the fold out side windows. Asked about the roof rack, wanted 600 dollars, for that I'll use my trailer.

Mike

8. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:

Nice looking rig!

9. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Just to clarify, I checked my records and I actually have the 'V' series. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have a SB also. I'm not sure on the difference in price between the two anymore.

10. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Mike, your account wouldn't accept a pm. So quick question, what brand is your cargo hauler?Thanks.

David, sorry to derail your thread.:eek:

11. Mar 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    wallytaco

wallytaco Active Member

Member:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Access V6 OR
    Had a Z series on my 06 gmc 1500 and was really happy with it. I agree, they're a bit pricey, but build quality is top notch. I sent the gas lid to them for color match, which they claim gives a more accurate match. Ironically, my friend who ordered the CX just has his color matched by paint code and it turned out better than mine. Either way, a worthwhile purchase.

12. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Iamsir2u

Iamsir2u KJ4WZI

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Waxhaw, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DCLB Sport 4x4
    Leer 100r cap, Stealth mount 30" lightbar, TSB 4-leaf pack.
    recently I priced leer and ARE. OTD Leer was $2423 for the cap, rack, sliding fold down rear window. ARE was $2319 for the same set up. These prices were from Monroe, NC not far from the OP

13. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    Taco4x4; check the A.R.E. web site. They usually have a printable coupon good for a free upgrade, such as free fold down slider, etc. You have to print it and present it when you order your cap.

14. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:

Thanks Buzz, the price in my post is with the printed coupon :eek: might have to try some negotiating with the ARE dealer. We'll see what happens and I will post on results tomorrow. Thanks for the tip anyway. I think they have gone up a bit. I also called another ARE dealer here in NC and they were $20.00 less out the door. That would not even cover the gas $$.

15. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    well how'd ya come out?

16. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    After checking the price at two different ARE dealers, I ended up with $1931.00 OTD. A little high but I had budgeted 2k for the topper. So there you have it. I was really impressed with the design of the "Z" series rear door. Appears to have a very strong and durable hidden hinge and locking system. Take delivery around the 15th of Mar. The dealer, Gastonia Auto Glass has excellent customer serivce. I highly reccomend this store.

**Also ordered a set of 5100's yesterday from Sonny at Downsouth motorsports yesterday. Between the additional 190lbs the topper will add the Billy's all the way around this should all work out nicely. I will set the fronts at 1.75 and roll. Probably run the stock tires and rims until the stockers wear out. Have to see how it looks after the Billy's are installed.

17. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    ^Sounds like you came out ok. Post some pics when you get it all on. Decide to skip the Yak racks?

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:

Pics fourth coming in a few weeks. They are not giving aways the "Z" toppers thats for sure.:)

19. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    I choked while coughing up the coin for mine too, but now that it's been there a while, I'm very happy with the investment. We are even going to use the rack this summer, (that I never expected to use).:D

20. Mar 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    I bought an ARE Z series last yr and like it a lot- looks great IMO. I only got the fold down sliding front window option and I paid ~$1650 including tax and install. IIRC the dealer said the price was $150 over his cost- but I have no way of verifying that. Other dealers in my area wanted ~$2100 for the same shell, so shop around. Leer's similar model was about the same $, about $2k.

Products Discussed in

To Top