1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bright/Vivid Colors in SLR Photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by dysfunctnlretard, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Ive previously owned an entry level Canon Rebel XT DSLR and Im in the process of researching DSLRs again because my old one no longer works. I loved my Canon and all it could do but I never seemed to be happy with the color it produced, specially after seeing some of the photography on here. SO my question is, Does The Nikon Line of Cameras provide more colorful/vivid pictures than the canon line (be as objective as humanly possible)? I usually find myself having to increase color saturation on top of my cpol filter to get those nice vivid shots.

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro

In general, between the brands, they reproduce similar color, contrast and saturation. Most of the really good stuff you see is edited in post production. There are menus in DSLR's that enable you to increase sharpness, color sat and contrast. Keep in mind that your glass can really effect your color saturation as well. Making sure you have the right white balance helps too.

There are some that say one brand is better simply because they have it. I'll tell you that Nikon has better flash support and auto focus while Cannon has better video and low light shooting. Most everything else is purely subjective.

3. Mar 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have been a Canon user for 30 years, and IMO Nikons have slightly higher color saturation and contrast reproduction in the factory default settings.

With Canon (and probably Nikon too), you can go into the custom menues and adjust the sharpness, contrast, color saturation, etc. to your own liking.

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    Squid

Squid Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona Red PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Debadged, Factory Roof Rack, Black Nerf Bars, Black MB Chaos Wheels, 265-75-16 BFG All Terrain T/A KOs, Rear Leaf TSB, Body Colored Grill with center sprayed black
    I'm not too sure about DSLRs, but on a film SLR a Polarizing Filter will help, when used outside. This is mostly noticed as deeper blue sky, in photos, but it actually improves contrast of the entire photo. They aren't expensive, so you might want to pick one up and lay around with it, to see if it improves your photos.

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Actually, if your camera is an autofocus model, polarizing filters can be very pricey.

For auto focus cameras, you should use a circular polarizing filter so the fiklter doesn't confuse, or disable the autofocus system. for an average lens they run about $50.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    +1 on post processing...although when I got a 50\1.8 I noticed my pictures had some pretty vivid colors without any adjustments already

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Most of mine are done in PS. I some times set the camera color setting to vivid.

8. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
  9. Apr 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Having the right color balance is extremely important! And the sharpness of your glass will also help out! Some of the Kit lenses are really great but there is no denying that the high end glass will get you what you are looking for! At least that was the case in my situation!:eek:

Get a digital Grey card and learn to use it!

This is the one I use...

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Premium-White-Balance-Photography/dp/B000HDFH6W

And here is a good article on how to use the cards...

http://www.digitalartsphotography.com/instructions.htm

Hope this helps! :p

10. Apr 15, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Wow. Pretty cool. Ive always heard of grey cards but never knew what they were/how to use them.

I ended up going with a Canon like before. I immediately dumped the kit lens too and moved into primes. I have a 30mm/1.4 and 85mm/1.8 right now which are really producing some nice shots. The IQ of the glass definitely seems to have improved the images. One thing: i dont have/dont know how to use photoshop. I need to pick up on this invaluable tool

Products Discussed in

To Top