1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and Lock Corrosion FIX

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco93, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    Taco93

Taco93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Weathertech Floor Liners
    Well, not really......more of a replacement lock cylinder from Pop and Lock.

I wrote them a nice little email stating that my Pop and Lock was about a year old and that it didn't even make it through one winter until it corroded to point where it became useless. They said

"That is not a good situation and I apologize for that. Certainly the lock should withstand the road conditions, and we will certainly replace your lock cylinder. Please reply with you name and address information, including phone number and the key number that you have for your lock and we will send out a replacement cylinder right away."

So, a week later I received a replacement lock cylinder. All I had to do was remove and dismantle the old one, clean all parts from corrosion and install the new one. Time to do this was about an hour.

Here is the old Pop and Lock removed and dismantled:

[​IMG]

Corrosion Residue:

[​IMG]

New and old cylinders side by side:

[​IMG]

New cylinder installed:

[​IMG]

New cylinder installed 2:

[​IMG]

I don't really know if this will work, but I decided to cover the whole mechanism with vaseline. I know it works for battery terminal corrosion, so what harm can it do. We'll see, if it doesn't work out, I'll send another email next year. :D

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Great post. Glad to hear they sent in new stuff. So far my lock is still great (knock on wood), lasted through this winter

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    In the navy we use this stuff called Grade 4, It will seal everything up. Kinda like dried up oil. Maybe try Silicion?

Products Discussed in

To Top