1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swore in for the Navy today!!!

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sheepdog, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    SEALs/SWCC brown water. Def not gay water, I mean blue water

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    FMF then SWCC is what I want to do but we will see what happens after FMF. If I REALLY like it, i'll just stick with that. But If I decide to move on, I'll go to SWCC.

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:51 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Great news and wish you best!! :woot:

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Hooyah brother, Good on you for wanting to go FMF. They are some of the best guys I've worked with. Im agree with the other guys in that you should definately look into specwar, swcc, seal, or even be a dive med tech. They all very rewarding careers. My .02 for what its worth, pay yourself first, play the game and always develop and enhance your skillset (I.E. college, foreign language, civilian certifications)
    Fair winds. Keep us posted.
    Josh

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Congratulations on your enlistment and school guarantee! It will be exciting, boring, frustrating, and fun......all in one day!
    Another opportunity that you may want to consider after your first enlistment (if you should stay), is to apply for Indpendent Duty Corpsman training and volunteer for submarines. IDCs are the closest thing to Doctors on the boats, and you are the sole point of contact for medical on the entire submarine while underway.
    You may not want to commit that far down the line, but I wish you luck in whatever career path you take!
    Guys like you make me feel good about what I did.

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    bad ass...I know I should of done that...Good luck and Thanks for serving.

God bless

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Congrats by the way!

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Congrats from one Corpsman to a future one...!!
    If you like high-speed low drag shit, go SWCC or Recon, you won't regret it. Even if you don't but you like the camaraderie the Marines offer, you like Recon even more. There are about 90 Recon Corpsman right now and it's the prouder, fewer the Marines offer (there are 9000 FMF Corpsman).
    Remember this while in bootcamp, you can stand on your head for 7 weeks, so it'll be easy putting up with crap. But if bootcamp is hard for you then you might want to reconsider FMSS (its FMTB now, but us oldies still use the old name).

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So how were your parents about you coming outta the closet and all??

Jus fucking with you- Congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life. Good luck with everything!!

10. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    lol

shut it knee deep...;)

There is a joke between us (the Navy and Coast Guard) about where we go. Well, the Navy Sonar operator hears a series of beeps when scanning the water, usually a lot of them since we go deeper. The Coast Guard hears "knee-deep, knee-deep, knee-deep" (they usually go in the harbors and bays and its usually very shallow). When they get to areas the Navy operates, they hear, "TOO DEEP, TOO DEEP, TOO DEEP".;)

11. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    Jevansjr15

Jevansjr15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB Cement

Make sure to stay away from those corpwhores up there in Great Lakes...You'll know what I mean when you get up there. LOL

Good luck though. I did my 4 years and got out but you may like it more than me.;)

12. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Tell that to the Coast Guard JG who gets to take command of a Navy Frigate/Destroyer on a regular basis...=)
    Oh yeah...And the 387 that is hanging out with the Persian Gulf battle group.
    And the Coasties that drove the Navy's landing craft thru WWII

::wink:: If you need someone who can really drive a boat- Call a Coastie!!

13. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    Jevansjr15

Jevansjr15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB Cement

Coast Guard?? I thought they were Puddle Pirates :rolleyes:

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Congratz!! I'm glad to see you got what you wanted! PT right now and study up on your Naval knowledge!

15. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    Good Luck and Be Safe
    [​IMG]

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    x100! :)

17. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Congrates!!! Thanks for your service! :)

18. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Cool, good luck!

19. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Congrats man! That's my b-day BTW :D

20. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    User123

User123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver PreRunner
    Congrats brother!

Here's my perspective. I did my entire enlistment with the Marines. I was only maybe 3 or 4 out of a class of about 50 during Corps School that actually wanted to go greenside. Its sad to say but once you get to the fleet, most of the greenside Corpsman you'll see are ones that did not want to go with the Marines and are only just there "doing their time" and that leads to alot of bad attitudes and bad reputations for the rest of us.

In my experience, there are 2 types of greenside Corpsman

The lazy asses that try to get out of everything claiming "thats not my job"

And then there are the motivated ones. The ones that want to be there with them and it shows in their attitude and in the way they train. Since you seem like the latter, I dont think you'll have problems. Just go in there and try to out Marine the Marines and they will respect you for it. Dont EVER pull that "I'm a corpsman, I dont do that crap" BS. I HATED that $hit and when I was senior line, I made sure my junior Corpsman NEVER pulled that crap.

As far as being non appreciated or "picked on" by Marines. Its more prevalent with the POGs or support commands because the Corpsman at those commands dont do too much operationally other than set up the BAS and CASEVAC. Not too much integrated training with the Marines like there is in a line company.

Do everything you can to try and get with a grunt unit. And once you're there, do everything you can to get out to a line company. The last thing you want is to get to a grunt unit and sit at the BAS.

The camaraderie that everyone speaks of between a Marine and a Corpsman is usually within grunt units in my experience because you are part of the platoon. The lines between Marine and Corpsman get really blurred at the platoon level as long as you have a cool Platoon Sgt. I was basically a rifleman until someone got hurt. I cleared rooms with my guys in Iraq, knew more about the radio than our platoon R.O. and even taught M.O.U.T to the Iraqi National Guard. I was also a crossdresser for those of you who know what that is.

It's all about what you put in to it. You expect them to learn all the medical classes you teach them so its only fair you learn everything you can during all the classes given on Marine Corps related material.

There really is NO experience like it. You will never be closer to a bunch of guys as you will with your platoon. You get real protective of your guys and they you. I've been out since 08 and I still get calls from guys regarding medical issues lol.

Just strive to be the BEST Corpsman you can be and you should be alright. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Oh, and if you deploy on a MEU(you'll be on a ship) DO NOT stand in the Navy line for chow. Stay with your Marines. The lines may be longer but dont separate yourself from your guys.

As far as SWCC goes, If you like serving with the Marines, why not Recon?

If you like to read, try Force Recon Diary 1969 by Major Bruce Norton. He was a Recon Corpsman and eventually went on to become a Major in the Marine Corps.

Products Discussed in

To Top