1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Introduction - tacoma newbie and some questions :)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NetMonkey, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Aug 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    hey all,

wow..i just found this site and i am glad that i did.... what a wealth of information!

anyway, i am looking into getting a tacoma double cab 4x4 (downsizing from my current truck), but i think the truck would look better with a more agressive tire/size and a lift (just a little extra).

until i found this site, all i could find were 3" spacer/coil lifts, but after reading all the stickies and all the threads about the various lifts i think i found the setup that meets my needs/costs/driving conditions... but that lead me to a couple of questions.

so, i am thinking about the 5100 adjustables in the front (set at 1.75") and the regular 5100's in the rear (cost is an issue.. its going to be hard enough to convice the wife to spend an extra $2k on tires, rims, and a lift after dropping upwards of $30k for the truck :) ). with the 5100's lifting the front, it seems that a ~32x10.5 (265 75 16) tire is a reasonable size to fit on the truck.
    thinking about these rims:
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/X...s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pl=3629&t_pn=PXA6001-6838
    and these tires:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M%2FT&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=675QR6DESTMT10&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

with that setup...
    would there be any tire rubbing during moderate suspension movement?
    would the tires rub at full steering lock?
    is it neccessary to lower the front differential at all?
    is it neccessary to relocate the front swaybar to eliminate contact with the coil?
    would there be any extra/adverse body lean or roll?
    would there be any noticable tracking issues at highway speeds?

2. Aug 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw!!! sounds like you have been doing your homework:thumbsup:!! just to let you know..........a 265/75/16 tire will fit the stock suspension fine with no rubbing, so you really be fine with that size for a lift.

3. Aug 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    cool... thanks for the response.

hmm.... if a 265 75 16 fits w/o any lift, then if i added a 1.75" lift, i could get even bigger tires on the truck... oh god... this is how it starts, huh? its never big enough, tall enough, wide enough :)

hehe... anyway... are these even an issue with the 1.75" lift?
    is it neccessary to lower the front differential at all?
    is it neccessary to relocate the front swaybar to eliminate contact with the coil?
    would there be any extra/adverse body lean or roll?
    would there be any noticable tracking issues at highway speeds?

thanks again :)

4. Aug 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    honestly, if you are going with just the bilstein 5100's on the front......no spacers, you wont have to do the diff drop or anything, but you will be basically leveling out your truck. with a 3 inch lift, if you have 4x4, a diff drop is just about necessary, but with the 3 inch, you can fit 285/75/16 tires with a little trimming. im pretty sure that going with just the billy 5100's up front will only let you fit the 265/75/16 tires, but i may be wrong.

5. Aug 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    With a 3" Coilover lift and 285/70/16 I had to take off my front mudflaps and trim out some of the plastic weather guard. They look really good on the 3" lift. But I still get a little rub when I crank my wheels all the way over. Not too bad at all though.

6. Aug 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    thanks guys, you have been helpful.

after reading your input and reading more of the forums, i think i will go with the 5100's and 265 75 16's.

now, to just wait out the lease on my current truck :( .....

Products Discussed in

To Top