1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATV in a LONG BED

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by AZtacoma07, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    AZtacoma07

AZtacoma07 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    K&N, Coverking seat covers, Magnaflow, pop n lock,AT tires, Suspension TSB,Undercover tonneau cover,
    I just picked up this 2007 Arctic Cat 500 ATV this morning and was scared to death loading it in the back of the 07 sport long bed. The stated width of the wheels is 47.5" and that is a lot wider than the wheel wells in the bed of the truck. Well, I crossed my fingers and loaded it up, and IT FIT! I could hear the plastic wheel wells creak as the rim scratched along side of it, but it squeezed between them. No damage though. It weighs almost 700 lbs, and I also put ammo cans in front to protect my rear window....
    So just FYI to all you out there wondering if an ATV this size will fit.

Arctic-CAT011_3dc73847dbf8686700174231a1ed54e3d154fcbb.jpg

Arctic-CAT009_71a5ecf245239da82dcaf2de0b99ddccfb5fc3b8.jpg

Arctic-CAT010_156a786528f3adf089b5271cc7cde89f9ec6296b.jpg

2. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    skulltacoma

skulltacoma Make more better!

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma trd modified
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    yeah just be careful that you don't do what i did loading an outlander 800 in the back of mine and it bend the box sides into each other... because there is no metal floor .... GAY i hate that about my truck but w.e. i have a trailer and its safer anyways...

DJB1 likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    skulltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    also if your like me be smart and safe run your front winch from the front of your quad to the back of your hitch ( take your tailgate off ) and this will help prevent the quad form hitting your cab or cab windows in the event of extreme hard braking... just might help it helped me when some guy in a ricer honda civic cut me off.... needless to say i had words with him... and you probably know about putting a wee tire in between the front of the cab and the quad... happy trailing buddy stay safe.

Cheers

Ben

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM

20796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Superior WI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Double Cab
    No issues at all loading my outlander 800 in my long bed. You ain't gonna get the tailgate closed though. Then again I couldn't get it closed when I had my 99 silverado either. Haven't tried my big bear in this truck just yet but I could close the tailgate on the silverado with it in the back might be able to with the taco as well.

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    skulltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    yeah maybe you should look at the threads about reinforcing your tailgate its worth it. and also be careful loading the quad as i know what it CAN do just be careful. i noticed it one day when the small gap between the tailgate and the box sides was not the same looking up and down it was smaller and bigger and the other end??? so i noticed it but its very small just take care thats all im saying. and i also ended up just taking the tailgate off while i had a quad in the back and used the winch off the quad to the hitch like i was saying earlier. its a bit safer just in case you do have to hit the brakes your quad doesn't end up making a new sunroof for you.

happy trails

Ben.

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Nice Quad & Truck- Thanks for posting this- Looks like you have a serious hunt rig setup there!

The more I look at that it's nice to know it can be done, but I think trailering it is the way to go. Especially in Az's tough rocky- rigid trails. In the end the truck will probably thank you !

Curious as to how many hours that has and the approx: price you paid? I'm in the market for the exact same set up...

AzBackcountry

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    AZtacoma07

AZtacoma07 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    K&N, Coverking seat covers, Magnaflow, pop n lock,AT tires, Suspension TSB,Undercover tonneau cover,
    AZBACKCOUNRTY- It is a 2007 with only 250 miles! I had been searching for months just looking for a good deal and I picked this one up with all the extra racks and stuff on it including a loading ramp for 4000 off of craigslist. Owned by a grandpa who used it to maintain his 5 acre property in new river...And I will be looking for a tralier for it too, I agree that all the bouncing around in the back there (700lbs) will not be too good in the long run. I'm gonna take it out this weekend for a predator hunt to break it in.

8. Mar 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    skulltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Although i did see something that is really interesting I beleive that there is a company in the states that makes them i think thier name is diamondback or sumthing or other ( if you want ill find it again for you theres a guy selling one up here for $1800 CAD and open to offers probably. What it is is basically like the big boys you always see with the rack uptop the box has awesome tie downs and special cups on the front so you don't smash the windows on the back of your cab etc etc and the nicest part is it folds up from the back of the tailgate (half way) like a tonneau cover. Then from the front of the box to the middle also opens like a tonneau cover again (50/50) i mean if you really want it on your truck thats the way to go. However i still would rather have a trailer personally. I just had this discussion with a friend of mine and i mean up here you see those decks above the box on dodge 3/4 tons and 1 tons single not dually although you do see those too. but they run like two sleds or two quads and even though this deck for tacomas only puts one up i mean tacomas are somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tons... do you really wanna risk the extra tippyness however my buddy brought up a valid point that if you had the right setup with suspension and airbags it should be fine

Take a look at this link : its in calgary alberta canada

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...k-Tonneau-Cover-for-Tacoma-W0QQAdIdZ189951825

I mean i saw this and was like WHOA thats pretty sick, but i mean for even $1800 i can get a pretty nice trailer and to all sorts of things with it besides atv holder. Although like the ad says it would be nice to have that uptop and keep your gear clean.

Just thought this could help in your travels

Ben.

9. Apr 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    chicken lips

chicken lips Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose Garcia
    riverside
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    bone stock for now
    can i get a link to the tailgate reinforcing thred?

heres my long bed compared to my buddys short bed

2c0wog_a07749e8c95f67af822793dae7d4af3e1f4beab4.jpg

mgmdclb likes this.
  10. Apr 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Duck760

Duck760 The Duck

Member:
    if ur worried you can always buy those tail gate extenders... they are kinda cool i cant tell somedays i like em some days i dont

11. Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Taco Libre

Taco Libre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JohnnyHildo
    Saskatoon, SK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black 4x4 Access-Cab TRD OffRoad
    Rear TSB, 5100s @ 0, Toytec 3" lift, Total Chaos UCAs
    sweet photo! i'm aware this is an old photo but i'm looking into getting a can-am outlander 650XT and was trying to decide if it would fit

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    chicken lips

chicken lips Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose Garcia
    riverside
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    bone stock for now
    Never tried fitting one of those quads in my truck, but I have a couple Honda TRX's with desert suspension & tires(wider & taller) and they still fit heck sometimes I don't even tied them down because they fit nice and tight

13. Nov 15, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    cwerg

cwerg New Member

Member:
    After checking this thread I decided to try and fit my Can Am Outlander 500 XT in my 2015 TRD off road access cab long bed. It's width is 46" and fit perfectly between the wheel wells without any scraping or pressure on them. I drove about 850km through Canadian Rocky Mountain passes during winter from Alberta to BC and was happy with it. The front end was a little light and needed to be babied through snow and slippery sections but otherwise it was quite capable. Axles weighted in at 1150lbs front and 1350lbs rear. Quad is aprox 750 lbs but don't have any tare weights for my Tacoma to compare. image.jpg image.jpg

Cavedog likes this.
  14. Nov 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Amateurs lol

15. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    electric taco

electric taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    any body else out there with more pics of atv's in the back??? Lets bring this thread back to life!!!

16. Mar 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    RTX Taco

RTX Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chilliwack BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
  17. Mar 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    Crack open that wallet and buy trailer, c'mon folks

18. Mar 12, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    RTX Taco

RTX Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chilliwack BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
    I do have a trailer for it, very rare that it ends up in the truck box. I don't like running it up the ramps, and i gotta put blocks down to keep it away from the window. I also need to put about 40 psi. in the air bags to level it out.

19. Mar 23, 2018 at 12:19 AM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Here’s mine.... Yamaha Grizzly 450 !!:bikewheelie:18F83E1C-F718-4CEB-A55F-60DFDFCD494D.jpgC4B78EAF-064C-4E32-BE51-2E0D02AE8138.jpg

RTX Taco likes this.
  20. Mar 23, 2018 at 12:41 AM
    Dacapster

Dacapster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh
    Vehicle:
    14 trd
    Many coming
    I load an Kawa Vinson 500 , yes the tires push into the lowered tail gate But on long beds have had no issue, on the previous short bed I had a 5/8 plywood bed cut out support to keep it cool)

To Top