1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got the leaf Spring TSB. Here are some pics !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by khfactor, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    DSMissed

DSMissed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    3" lift with adjustable shocks and AAL, TPS disabled, anytime locker mod, MOOG greasable ball joints and adjustment pins, URD M3 s/c, Pioneer nav headunit, xplod 1000w amp, 10" infinity sub, tinted windows, lightly tinted tails, color matched front grill with blacked out emblem. Do battle scars count as mods?? =D
    Update on my situtation... I've talked the the head person at the dealership here. He is very nice, but in the nicest way possible basically told me they can't do anything for me. Not only am I out of warranty, but I bought the truck from a private person and I have never had a thing serviced at their dealership. Basically they are telling me that if I had bought the truck from a Toyota dealership or at least been having it serviced at a Toyota dealership for a long time, that they may have been able to get through a loophole and help me that way.

This is a total bummer =( I put less than 500 pounds of sand in the back a few days ago and it squatted down like I threw in a ton of bricks. There is no way I'm going to be able to tow a loaded trailer without doing some damage unless I pay out of my own pocket to upgrade rear suspension to put it to where it SHOULD have been from the factory.

AAAAHHHHH I thought I finally got my dream truck I've been wanting since they came out in 05, but seems I'm gonna end up having to sell to buy a truck that can handle what I need it to do.

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    Kerri, that sucks. You could just do your own AAL for a couple hundred. Maybe the ToyTec AAL for TSB spring packs will give you a greater spring rate in the rear with just a little lift?

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Get a copy of the TSB. See what it says. If I suspect is has something in there about suspension problems in certain areas..."I would call that a safety problem!" Find a 1-800 number to the Consumer Product Safety Commission then call and complain. Toyota can either honor the TSB or face a recall. It's up to them...I think I know which one would be cheaper...how bout you?:frusty: No is not the answer!!!

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    DSMissed

DSMissed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    Lead South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD OR
    3" lift with adjustable shocks and AAL, TPS disabled, anytime locker mod, MOOG greasable ball joints and adjustment pins, URD M3 s/c, Pioneer nav headunit, xplod 1000w amp, 10" infinity sub, tinted windows, lightly tinted tails, color matched front grill with blacked out emblem. Do battle scars count as mods?? =D
    I will definitely try, I'm not ready to give up on my Taco just yet. But I'm just one person, I don't know how seriously they will take me. Would the fact that the rear end sags enough for it to seem as though my brights are on all the time be a safety issue?

I think I'm going to go out to my work today and put a 500 lb weight in it, take picture.. put another 500 lb weight in and take another picture. I just hope I don't break a leaf, then I'd probably really be screwed!!

I did see toytec's AAL for the TSB springs, and the price isn't that terrible, so it is an option.. but I don't know if I can install that myself, and I just don't think I should have to put money into my truck to get it to perform how Toyota told me it would perform from the factory. I feel like the truck was falsified.

If they would have been honest and said the true payload capacity is around 400lb (which is basically what it is) I would have stopped looking at Tacoma's and started looking at Tundras or F150's.

My dad knows I love horses and just bought one for my son and I, so - being the sweetheart he is - he bought me a nice bumper pull horse trailer. I feel bad, but there is no way I can pull it with my truck.

Sorry.. geez, what a rant.

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    DSMissed...look at the TSB and spring issue this way. Do the springs meet the standard? CPSC (Ray LaHood will get the standard from the factory) will catalog and file your complaint...You don't know if your the only one who has complained...your complaint may be the staw that will break the camels back...and let me go on and say...I AM NOT ANTI-TOYOTA. I want a new Tacoma so bad I can taste it. But if the truck is not built to standard and the leaf springs are the reason why then it is not correct. By trade I am an Army Aviator and when I go out to preflight an aircraft there are only two ways you can answer those parts that you believe are good enough to make the flight with you. (1) Is this correct and to the standard, (2) If it's not good enough for me its not good enough for the pax or the rest of my crew I am going to carry. Your not being a whiner about it...you have a legitimate beef. Find out what the standard is from the dealer, if he doesn't know call Toyota. Trust me in some engineering manual somewhere there is a standard that is expected from the leaf spring. Those vehicles that didn't meet the standard have a TSB explaining the standard and what the fix is. Again think profit margin! Who is going to get the contract to supply Toyota with the leaf springs....somebody's uncle or the cheapest bid. And that bid will probably come from China. In all likelihood it will be for so many years or so many parts. Where does the supplier get his product from? You got it...the cheapest bid. So don't be apologetic to anyone. If your springs are right then suck it up and buy some aftermarket stuff you like better. If they aren't right---then it's wrong. When the vehicle came out of assembly I'll bet you the springs weren't even on the check list now several years later the low bidder equipment is not performing to standard. This is why buy america is sometimes better. Management who understands " build to a standard" may be higher but they will see fewer lawsuits, produce a better product and may even cost more. Your not apologizing to anyone...your making an observation and asking a consumer beware question. Who knows Toyota may not even know your problem exist and would probably want to thank you for letting them know....:rolleyes: (For those army aviators reading this "Yes I am a standards/safety officer still on active duty!)

6. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    jbparrish

jbparrish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rockford
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite mica Dbl cab 4x4 off road
  7. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    ah2010tacoma

ah2010tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Lititz, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Ventvisors, tint, tonneau cover, 2" spacer lift, wheelers 3pack add a leaf.
    I got the spring TSB done yesterday on my truck rides nicer now. Told the dealer that it was bottoming out with a load they said they would order the parts and take care of it. I was surprised they gave me no problems and were very friendly, I also got the transmission TSB done it shifts so much better now. :)

8. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    jbparrish

jbparrish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rockford
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite mica Dbl cab 4x4 off road
    It looks like the dealer is going to order the parts for me and I will get it done next week hopefully. At first when I took the truck there and complained all they did to check it out was take it for a ride then denied me. I called customer service at toyota and complained then called the service manager at the dealership. Told them about the crappy service and how they didn't even check it out correctly and he apologized and told me he would put the parts on order right away.. Or so he says, I haven't gotten it done yet.

9. Mar 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Oshnjoe

Oshnjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Outside Philly
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4 DC LB
    seat covers, floor mats, ARE cap, Yakuma racks, 4 leaf TSB, running boards

here is a photo of what my 2010 SR5 4X4 DC LB came with and the weird little yellow sticker on the door post about reduced capacity

question:
    are 3 leafs non TSB with the TSB fix equating to 4 leafs?

DSC01204.jpg
    DSC01215.jpg

10. Mar 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    Your 2010 Taco 4x4 is also qualified for 4 Leave upgrade. Since your Taco was not one of the TRD package, once you get the Dealer to upgrade to 4 leaves, you should get Bilstein shocks all around as well. Do not forget to ask for wheel re-alignment which you should get as part of the TSB...

Good Luck.

I would not worry about the weird little stickerm if I were you...

11. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    Not true, 09+ do not get new shocks, if you do you got lucky. But it is just a good excuse to get 5100's IMO :D

12. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    NC Coast

NC Coast Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Eastern North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Access Cab
    I have a new 2010 Tacoma, 4 cylinder, 5 spd, Prerunner - Access Cab. It is so new I have not hauled any weight in the truck bed yet. Is this model subject to the bottoming out and included in the TSB for the spring/shock replacement?
    Thanks!

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Oshnjoe

Oshnjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Outside Philly
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4 DC LB
    seat covers, floor mats, ARE cap, Yakuma racks, 4 leaf TSB, running boards

thanks for the info

about that alignment...
    though my VDS is in the front of the TSP, there are NO specs relating to my specific VDS (MU4FN) in the alignment section of the TSB.

Called Toyota, again
    They could not explain why there were no alignment specifications in the TSB

They gave me a case # and said the local dealer rep be contact point and that he was required to provide me a response within 3 bus. days
    we'll see

I will say that the dealer has agreed to install leafs with little BS required
    (maybe they remember that I just turned in my 1999 TRD with the rusted frame rails and bought this 2010)

not so good the next door neighbor. he has a 2008 with about 30k mi.
    a different dealer told him that they would take it out for a test drive and then decide whether or not the truck qualified for the TSB

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Just a side note... I had the rear TSB done when I was almost at 40K miles. It was past my bumper-to-bumper warranty but since I had purchased the taco new the stealership did it as "GoodWill". I've got almost 95K miles on it now. Just yesterday, I added a new add-a-leaf in the rear because of too much sag. The shocks are not the factory either. I upgraded to Bilstein 5100's on all corners. All-in-all, it's my opinion that the leaf packs they use are not as strong as after market ones.

15. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    thai fyter

thai fyter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to drum up an old thread, but do our trucks qualify for the rear spring TSB if it is lifted? If this is a dumb question I apologize, I've searched a little and can't quite find an exact answer. Thanks.

+++++++ Scratch that, just looked and mine has already been done +++++++++++

16. May 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    Karo

Karo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karo
    La Crescenta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Grill
    Simple yes/no question here.. Does replacing the TSB also get rid of the squeaky noise that I'm experiencing on my truck?

17. May 25, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    does the tsb include the 2 wheel drives? I know it is probably posted somewhere already but would appreciate the answer..Thanks.

18. May 26, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    yaphi

yaphi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Worcester, MA
    I'm not sure but my truck has developed the same problem. I am getting this god awful squeek whenever the truck moves basically. When I sit in it, while I'm driving, etc. I am taking it in soon to have it looked at.

19. May 27, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    cgriffin

cgriffin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Warrior, AL
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Dbl Cab w/Long Bed, TRD CAI
    TRD Intake, Bed Cover, Electronic Tailgate Lock,
    What prep work is there? I called them and all I was told is to take it to the dealership for inspection.

20. Aug 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    tony92629

tony92629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    I called the 888-331-4331 Toyota Customer Service and they said that I would have to contact the Dealership directly. 2010 DC Pre-Runner. I go to the Dealership today so they can take a look.

Products Discussed in

To Top