1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SManZ's Build Thread!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    SManZ’s Build Thread!

Updated 10/14/10 – New badging!

Just added these;
    [​IMG]
    Just an eBay TRD emblem and a Supercharged emblem from a Cobalt SS.

[​IMG]
    Removed Toyota from the left side and replaced with TRD emblem. Removed SR5 V6 from the right and replaced it with the Land Rover Supercharged emblem.

[​IMG]
    'Nother view

[​IMG]
    This thing was stupid expensive but its what I wanted...

>>>>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Taco and the ’06 Yamaha FZ1, both just washed and waxed!

[​IMG]

Performance Mods:
    -TRD Supercharger
    -TRD Cold Air Intake
    -MBRP Dual Split Rear Exhaust

Suspension Mods:
    -Toytec Ultimate Lift
    -Bilstein 5100s
    -Front Coilovers w/ 600lb Eibach springs
    -Light Racing Upper Control Arms
    -Rear AAL (TSB)
    -Axle Shims
    -Carrier Bearing Drop
    -Diff Drop
    -Swaybar Relocate Kit

Exterior & Misc Mods:
    -All-Pro Front Bumper w/ Light Hoop
    -PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights
    -Satoshi Grille
    -Cheapie Wal-Mart Bed Lights
    -Toyota Tube Steps
    -TRD Front/Rear Emblems, Land Rover Supercharged emblem
    -GoRhino Rear Hitch Step/Bumper (piece of shit)
    -Oil Cup Drain Hose

Wheels/Tires/Brakes Mods:
    TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16” Anthracite Rims
    -Firestone Destination A/T, LT265/75R16
    -Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
    -EBC Sport Slotted/Dimpled Rotors
    -Hawk HPS front brake pads

Interior Mods:
    -PLX DM-100 OBD II Scanner
    -TRD Boost Gauge w/ Red LEDs
    -Autometer Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges
    -Flexpod Steering Column Gauge Mount
    -Custom A-Pillar Gauge MountFONT]
    -Pro Sport Oil Filter Adapter for Pressure/Temp Sensors
    -RCBS Illuminated 4x4 Switch

>>>>>
    TRD S/C & CAI

The TRD S/C install took me 18hrs solo, including 3 meals, a short nap, and a trip to the autoparts store.
    Here is a How-To that I wrote for the install;
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/101770-how-1gr-fe-supercharger-installation.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

>>>>>
    MBRP Dual Split Rear Exhaust

The MBRP pipes are supposed to be bolt on but they do require cutting of one length of pipe. Other than that the install isn’t too bad. Put oil on the exhaust hanger studs to make removal and installation of the rubber grommets easier. The pipes sound great! At idle it has a nice burble that can easily be mistaken for a V8.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

>>>>>
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit

[​IMG]
    The Ultimate kit has the pre-assembled coil overs so it’s all bolt-in. No spring compressor required. You can also see the Goodridge stainless steel front brake lines in this shot.

[​IMG]
    Light Racing upper control arms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rear is an AAL. I have the TSB springs so I have a 5-leaf pack now.

[​IMG]
    The kit comes with longer u-bolts and new Bilstein 5100 shocks.

[​IMG]
    The axle shims rotate the axle so that the angle of the driveshaft to the diff is closer to stock.

[​IMG]
    The carrier bearing drop is easy to install, just 2 bolts. It lowers the driveshaft a bit to straighten it out, closer to stock.

[​IMG]
    The diff drop is also easy to install. I didn’t need to trim my skidplate, which ended up coming off anyway for the All-Pro bumper.

>>>>>
    All-Pro Front Bumper

[​IMG]
    Lots of clearance now! It also really shows off the suspension components.

[​IMG]
    Everything is bolt-together. Its best to get all the bolts started before tightening down any of them.

[​IMG]
    I cut too much off the inner fender so it comes loose and flops around. I’m using tie wire to hold it in place for now but I’ll think of something a little less backwoods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PIAA 510 SMR fog lights. I spliced these into the stock wiring.

[​IMG]
    Battle scars from the install. Many thanks to joneill03 who helped with the install!

>>>>>
    Satoshi Grill Mod

The most hilarious thing about the whole grill mod is that my name is actually Satoshi. No, I’m not the one that came up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I used bondo to tack down twelve 3" long #10x32 bolts and wingnuts to secure the mesh in place. The wingnuts let me tighten the mesh perfectly against the gentle curves at the rear of the grill.

>>>>>
    Bed Lights & Decals

[​IMG]
    I used w8n4mud’s L-brackets. The bed lights are cheapie Wal-Mart fogs. I ran wiring along the driver’s side frame rail and up into the cab through the grommet under the driver’s seat. I put the switch where the factory VSC button is and moved the VSC button to the top row. Moving the VSC button is a lot harder than it sounds. There is a plastic divider between the top and bottom rows and getting the wiring for the switch to reach over that divider is a bitch.

>>>>>
    Oil Cup Drain Hose

[​IMG]
    I ran a section of 3/8” fuel line from the nipple on the bottom of the oil filter cup towards the bottom of the truck. At the end I put in a vacuum connector and a cap. This lets me unscrew the filter and then drain the cup through the tube and into my oil pan without making a mess.

>>>>>
    TRD FJ Rims and Tires
    [​IMG]
    Tires are Firestone Destination A/T 265/75R16s.

[​IMG]
    This shot shows the rims with spacers and the EBC Sport slotted/dimpled rotors.

[​IMG]
    Stock wheel offset, 5.5”

[​IMG]
    TRD FJ rims have a 4.5” offset. Notice how they stick a little further out. This was before I installed the wheel spacers.

[​IMG]
    There’s plenty of clearance from the spindle with the reduced offset. After the lift the stock tires were very close to the spindle.

>>>>>
    Brake Lines, Rotors, Spacers & Pads

[​IMG]
    The Goodridge stainless steel brake lines are the best brake mod I’ve made. It gets rid of that soft pedal feel.

[​IMG]
    The rear lines rub against the MBRP pipes. I installed some heat tape at first. Then I installed fiberglass pipe insulation around the exhaust pipes (not shown).

[​IMG]
    EBC Sport slotted/dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads, and Spidertrax 1.25” wheel spacers on the front. I didn’t install the rear ones.

>>>>>
    Interior Mods, Gauges

[​IMG]
    Finished gauge setup! Autometer oil pressure and temperature on the A-pillar pods, and PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner and TRD boost gauge on the flexpod steering column pods.

[​IMG]
    Autometer ES full-sweep electric oil pressure and temperature gauges.

[​IMG]
    PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner and TRD boost gauge. The DM-100 is set up to display engine load, engine speed, air intake temperature, and coolant temperature. Once I install the SM-AFR add-on, I’ll replace engine speed with AFR.

[​IMG]
    Night shot!

[​IMG]
    The Autometer ES gauges look orange in this photo but they are actually a deep red.

[​IMG]
    The PLX DM-100 text is orange. I replaced the white filament bulbs in the TRD boost gauge with red LEDs from VLEDs.com so that it would match the Autometer gauges. It came out perfectly!

[​IMG]
    The module for the DM-100 is in the glove box. I ran all wiring behind the radio and center console.

[​IMG]
    Power for the Autometer electric gauges comes from an Add-A-Circuit tapped into the 15A ignition circuit. The gauge lighting comes from the two green/green-white wires that are tapped into for the RCBS illuminated 4x4 gauge.

[​IMG]
    Pro-Sport oil filter adapter plate. This lets me screw in the sensors for the Autometer gauges. The larger one on top is the oil pressure. The lower sensor is oil temperature. The wiring for both goes through the large grommet in the firewall next to the brake booster.

[​IMG]
    Even with an oversized filter, it will still clear the engine cover. I don’t have the cover anymore since I’m boosted.

[​IMG]
    The wiring for the oil temp and pressure sensors goes through the large grommet in the firewall next to the brake booster. The clear tubing is for the boost gauge. It has since been connected to the pressure port in the supercharger housing so the boost gauge works.

>>>>>
    Stock Truck

I purchased a new 2010 4x4 Sport 6-spd w/ Tow Pkg in Magnetic Grey on December 24, 2009. This is my second Tacoma, the first was an '09. For the full story about that whole mess, click the link in my sig about the hurricane damaged '09 PreRunner. In short, fuck Koons Tysons Toyota in Vienna, VA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks For Looking & Thanks to all at TW for the How-To's and help that made it possible for me to do all of this myself! :D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Biscuits likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    You really been busy. The truck looks great and it appears you're over the whole mess with the former ride. It looks like all that effort of removing your mods in the crappy weather was worth it. Can't wait to see the wheels and tires!

3. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    Nice looking truck!

I keep and eye out for it when I'm in Centreville.

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Thanks Torque! I was really busy last weekend with the lift. I did the rear on Saturday and the front on Sunday. I got the alignment on Monday :) It was definitely worth taking everything off the old truck and I'm pretty much over the thing with the '09. I still tell people the short version of the story whenever the opportunity arises. If I've cost those asshats just one sale it'll have been worth it.

Thanks! I'm up in DC a lot working on bikes so you might see me around there. Lol btw I hope you didn't take offense to the "tards in DC" comment :p

5. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    21' Tundra Platinum & 08' TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's w/front's set at 1.75", TRD exhaust, Colormatched grill, Illuminated 4wd selector switch, BAMF Bolt on Sliders w/kickout.
    What size is the tubing you ran from your oil filter cup?

6. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    I think it was 3/8" I used bulk fuel line from PepBoys. I bought 3' and then trimmed it.

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4

Yes I am very offended...

After spending the better part of 20 years living in the Northern Virginia area (most of it in Centreville) I know exactly what you are referring to.

I am looking at adding a similar suspension set up on my truck in the future. To make up for that comment, I will bug you about your build when I am planning mine. :D

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good! Let me know if you decide to do it - I'd be happy to lend a hand with the install :)

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Your build's lookin real nice man! It'll look even better once you get the new rims and tires to help fill out the wheel wells a little more. That toytec lift looks great. The truck almost looks two different colors in the before and after pictures. Pretty cool the way the sun changes the way the paint looks.
    Makes me wish I had money :(

10. Mar 11, 2010 at 4:03 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks dude! I had the new tires mounted on the TRD FJ rims by NTB on Monday. I'll probably be putting them on this coming Monday. Hopefully the wheel locks I ordered from Amazon will be here by then. I bought 2 quarts of Redline MT-90 for the transmission from them too so I could get the free shipping :D

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    FJ Rims are mounted! :D I added some shots of the difference in offset between stock and TRD rims at the end of the post.

12. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Dude those FJ rims look amazing.
    I wish I had money :(
    But it looks like I gotta start saving up for a crib and whatnot. There's another bun in the oven. Due up sometime in November.
    My son just turned 7 on the 12th and now looks like I'll be startin all over again. Diapers and midnight feedings.

13. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
  14. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    those rims are absolutely perfect for that truck, and look amazing. a perfect match.

15. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys :) I was sketchy about grey rims on a grey truck at first but then someone here photochopped it for me and I was sold. Definitely happy with it!

Maybe its mind games but I swear I notice the height difference in the tires. The tire is just an inch taller so its just a half inch in ride height. Probably mind games.

16. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    maybe the difference in the stance of the truck with the offset makes it look taller.
    I had a Jeep Wrangler that I swapped the factory rims with 15x8's and kept the same 235/75/15s and I swore up and down the thing was taller with the same tires. I figured the stance was the culprit. But then I added the 31x10.5 tires and it didn't matter anymore :)

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    The offset does make it look a little bigger. The stock rims looked weird because they were pushed in around 2" from the edge of the fender. But I swear I notice it sitting higher while I'm driving :p

The front tires are about an inch from the edge of the fender. The rears are pretty much right on the edge. I think the difference has to do with the front suspension geometry. Just looking at it I think the front track decreases as the wheel travels down (lifting), while the solid axle rear will stay at a constant width.

18. Mar 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Hey man any idea when you're getting your all-pro bumper?
    That'll look pretty sweet on your truck.

19. Mar 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    I think All-Pro said that the remaining bumpers would ship out this week. I'm curious too since I'm about half-way down on the order list and haven't seen anything yet. Its been 2 weeks or so I think. Time to check the thread...

20. Mar 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I too have wanted to know what the FJ wheels looked like on a MG Tacoma. I have a double cab 2010 and have been looking at the FJ wheels. Where did you get them from? Looks GREAT!:cool::cool::cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top