1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HIDS Flickering after fog light switch is on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blazze2005, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    I just finished installing my HID kit that I purchased from www.xtremehids.com

After I was finished with the install I turned on my headlights and then the factory fog light switch.

The passenger side worked perfectly but the driver side didn't turn on. So I turned the fog light switch off and on a few times and the driver side finally came on. Now both hid fogs were working perfectly.

But now I notice that when I turn them on for the first time after truck sits I get a few flickers from both sides briefly then all is fine.

I have triple checked everything. Grounds are bare metal,all connections are tight. 25 Amp fuse installed inline the aftermarket relay harness.

Could it be the way I mounted the passenger side Ballast? I used the supplied metal brackets and bolted into inner side wall of the fender.

Other side is 3M Dual Lock ez pass Velcro

Could I be grounding the ballast from metal outer shell? Could this cause my flicker?

Thanks for any help...

002.jpg

2. Mar 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    not sure but your engine bay looks clean as shit :D

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    Canadian Max

Canadian Max Yamaha

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    In the Garage
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4
    2010 TRD Sport 4 door Speedway Blue 4" Nerf Bars Vent visors Weathertechs Mats Hella 500 HID Mod Bull Bar Devil Horns Eclipse AVN 726E Energy Speakers
    Did you extend the kits wiring from the Bulbs to the ballast ?

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    By any chance did you use a relay? Sorry I just reread it. recheck your relay wiring or your relay.

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Is it just the initial flicker before they warm up?

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Yes they only have the flicker issue when I turn the fog switch on. They go from dim to bright rather quickly then I get a few flickers from each side.

Seems like the driver side will flicker twice then the passenger side will flicker once then all is fine.

Yes I used a set of ballast extensions from www.retro-solutions.com

I'm gonna test power coming out of the ballast today with a volt meter. I'll test the power coming out with the extensions hooked up and then with them removed.

I read on the internet that I should have at least 7 volts coming out of the ballast when they are on?

Also I would like to add that I'm using a mini fuse holder inline on the harness power wire with a 25 amp fuse.

Should I be using a regular size fuse holder, I didn't think it would matter:confused:

I'll also try and test how many volts are coming out of the harness when it's turned on. Should that reading be around 14 volts?

Thanks for any info...

extensions.jpg

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'm using the mini fuse holder in the first pic

Should I be using the regular size fuse holder in the second pic?

minifuseholder.jpg
    fuseholder.jpg

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    All that matters with the fuse is the current, if 25amp is enough, then 25amp is enough... I'm not sure what the power rating is... so yea.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Ok I think I have the flickering issue fixed now:D

But I have to wait till dark just to make sure. But from what I can see i'm good to go now...

I removed those ballast extensions that I bought from: www.retro-solutions.com and moved the ballast closer to the HID bulbs on each side.

Here are some pics of where I mounted the ballast and also the relay location.

You can also see how I tapped into the factory fog harness for power on the drivers side.

Passenger side is capped off

I will be contacting retro solutions to tell them about the ballast extensions dropping voltage when installed

It clearly states on the website cautions when you using ballast extensions: (NONE) http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-259/60cm-AMP-EXTENSIONS/Detail
    I can't wait till dark to go for a spin:burnrubber:

003.jpg
    004.jpg
    005.jpg
    006.jpg
    007.jpg

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    hope you got it figured out!

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Canadian Max

Canadian Max Yamaha

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    In the Garage
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4
    2010 TRD Sport 4 door Speedway Blue 4" Nerf Bars Vent visors Weathertechs Mats Hella 500 HID Mod Bull Bar Devil Horns Eclipse AVN 726E Energy Speakers
    Yes, I had trouble with my HID setup when I extended the wires, I went back to the stock length and the flickering and troubling left light up ended.;)

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Also I forgot to add that the bulbs I purchased for www.xtremehids.com were supposed to be 4300K

But now way they are 4300K They must be 5000K

When I talked to the guy at xtremehids,he said the 4300K bulbs had a slight yellow tint.

He said the 5000K bulbs had a slight blue/pink tint to them

I feel these have just a hint of light blue to them, but that's ok I like them anyway:)

Also I want to add that I could never live without the 3M Dual Lock Clear Velcro

That's some good stuff:headbang:

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Ok I tried it out again at dark and I still have some flickering issues

I have a feeling it's a ballast problem...

Seems like the ballast just take a little time to kick in I guess

I did notice that if I turn the fog lights off and back on again really quick no flicker

But if i turn the fog switch off and wait about 30 seconds then turn it back on I get the flickering. Some times the flickering can last about 25 seconds then all is well

Left and Right grounds on harness bare metal to chassis

Harness is putting out 14.2 Volts

All connections are tight

Anybody have any ideas?

Could it just be the nature of the ballast that I purchased?

Should I try grounding the driver side of the harness to negative battery terminal?

Thanks again for any help

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    So you're using a harness that's drawing power from the battery too?

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yup a harness with a relay...

I seen a post where it said to raise your factory fog light fuse from a 15amp to a 20amp for flickering issues

But I don't understand how that would solve flickering

I even just went out and bought 2 new little grounding rings for the chassis grounds on the harness so that the bolt would pass through the hole tightly on the ring for the ground.

Wiggled bulb connections while hid fogs were on and no loose connections there

I'm just about ready to give up here:frusty:

What am I missing?

It's gotta be the quality of these ballast that's all I can think of

16. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    well looks like the start-up flicker issue is normal with these HIDS

The guy from xtremehids said the first 6-8 seconds the gas in the bulb is trying to settle so you see a flicker

I guess i'll just have to get use to it...

Here's a pic of my HID fogs from xtremehids.com and Silverstars as my headlights

004.jpg

17. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    My HIDs dont flicker.

18. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    blazze2005

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    WATacoRider,

What brand of HIDS are you running?

Products Discussed in

To Top