1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Tacoma Frame Rot FRAUD/high idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomarustingaway, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    No. There is a way to present one's self. This is a Toyota forum and we are all pretty loyal to Toyota. I have noticed a serious increase in anti Toyota posts and threads which leads me to think that there are trolls hitting us up.

Now in this members case, I trace routed his IP and found it's in Buffalo, he's got less than 50 posts, and he's posting pics of a rig. Now I don't like to jump to conclusions but... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then...

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Tic Taco

Tic Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was responding to a
    post that is no longer up.

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    Tic Taco

Member:
    I think this may be due to the fact that there
    are a lot of new unhappy Toyota owners - does
    that make them "trolls"?

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....

well, if you undercoat over rust OR any oil substance (Rust Stop OIL treatment) you just threw your money away. you need oxygen to form rust. the POR15 encapsulated the metal from oxygen preventing continuing rust issues and it DOESNT peel off of rust, only wont stick to paint. ive used it for over 15 years on multiple Isuzus.

P1010005_56a68f3a379480df9f85d07c63d1a62b46cdeb77.jpg
    P1010014_156ce8a927a7372aad297231b8172bdfa5d9c589.jpg
    rot_4fee10316f516a4d7489d7f220899349570355bc.jpg
    frame_f5745961380e7eea5fa71a85b11306bf0a341870.jpg

now THAT is rot.

Washing the truck every week as you stated? looks like you neglected the undercarraige. Was there an issue with rotted frames, yes, but with the care that you state, your frame shouldnt be that bad and to be honest, its just surface rust with alittle flaking of the undercoating. Also remember undercoating seals in rust and if peeled in any area where water and more salt could get in an get stuck, makes it worst. undercoating is great on NEW parts, not already rusted and oiled metal as it wont stick like its ment. i can understand your upset but you really dont have that bad of a frame. if you stop and listen and take some advice, try other treatments that will STOP the rust, not cover it up. KBS and POR15, try it and see, but it has to be oil free or it wont stick and cause more problems. Even with all the crap going on with Toyota today, i still bought my 2010 taco AC.....and love it. Toyota sales are UP 50% this month!!!! due to incentives, shows money talks...and if it perferated, youd have the buyback or a new frame by now as well....hindsight is always 20/20

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    toy02ota

toy02ota Local TW dissenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Brownsville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Chevy Silverado
    What does frame rot have to do w high idle? :confused:

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    yah, i deleted my own post cuz its not worth arguing over...

as noted above, the OP has no previous history of contributing to the forum about tacomas... based on the post history, it seemed like the sole purpose of joining the forum was to bash Toyota...

had it been a member who had been building up the truck previously and got hit with this situation, i would not have batted an eyelash...

in response to Tic Taco about my post, this is not necessarily a forum of praising Toyota... there are faults and shortcomings with our trucks as there are with every vehicle out there...

if we felt that these trucks were perfect, we wouldn't modify them as much as we do...

as Kilted Chiken noted above, "There is a way to present one's self." I think because of that, many here who don't have rust issues are getting offended by the OP's statements and demeanor...

it truly is unfortunate that the OP is getting the run around from Toyota, but that is certainly no justification to come on here and start referring to folks as "Forum idiots" or that "this forum SUCKS. Nothing but a bunch of robots praising a rotten lemon."

as it would seem here, the OP is the only one who got a rotten lemon, so us "robots" are not praising lemons per se...

now, back to the topic at hand, i did previously state that maybe the OP should invest their time in harnessing the power of the media to take his case to the local public... i doubt anyone here on TW is going to jump on his bandwagon and help him fight the power, so maybe having the local media lean on Toyota will yield him better results...

7. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    The remark was for tacomarustingaway.

Tic Tac is going in for the frame swap on Monday and should be pleased with the job. Remark wasn't for Tic Tac.

8. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    There are ways of posting ones frustration. It's all in the context.

"I have an issue I would like to address, my 2001 Tacoma seems to have an abnormal amount of rust on it compared to my friend other vehicles"

"I think I might have an issue, could you look at the attached pictures and tell me if this looks normal to you?"

Dude!!!! I was just trying to pass someone on the freeway and all the sudden my Tacoma would not slow down! I know there are recalls with Toyota and the unintended acceleration but... (this is where pertinent details are provided).

It's all in how you present yourself.

9. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    toy02ota

toy02ota Local TW dissenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Brownsville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Chevy Silverado
    That explains his bad attitude!

The OP needs to go ahead and buy a Frontier and get out of our hair. Then he can bitch on their forums.

10. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    word... it's all about tact...

11. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Thanks Mike!

12. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    Tic Taco

Member:

Fair enough & well stated guys.

I too am not real happy with Toyota - we'll
    see how my frame project goes. I will say this,
    the OP should have never started name calling,
    that is just wrong & simply won't get anyone any
    where on ANY form.

13. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    exactly... because he was upset and vented it out like that, everyone got defensive back and it keeps folks from wanting to share tips, secrets, and other info...

good luck with your project... hope it works out...

such a shame that the frame issue exists for those in the snow/salt areas... the mechanical reliability of these trucks is so good... it sucks to lose out on it due to the rusting frame...

14. Mar 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Who ever left me neutral rep, how bout next time have some balls and leave your name.

15. Mar 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    The good thing when a frame fails on the 2001-2004 Tacomas is the frame replacement, giving the owner basically an "almost" new truck.

16. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    tacomarustingaway

tacomarustingaway [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelly Blue Book price is fine by me. PM me. Nobody around here wants it.

17. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    john01374

john01374 Member

Member:
    Tacomarustingaway - I understand your frustration with the whole frame problem. I just got my truck back on weds after taking it in for the second inspection. Apparently there is some new set of tests that Toyota wants done on certain VIN's and mine was one of them.

I do 90% of my own maintanice so I spend a lot of time under my truck. After reading your posts and looking at the pics I can tell you that your frame is in great shape when compared to mine. Mine had a large amount of scale rust almost everywhere but there where no rust holes or weak spots. I tested this myself before I took the truck to the dealer.

I dropped my truck off Monday night and they called me Tues morning to tell me the frame was OK but they would be doing the under coating. I decided to stop by the shop Tues night and I was shocked to see there was two guys under my truck removing all of the scale and surface rust. They even had the bed lifed off to get the top of the rails. I asked about the whole process and they told me they where grinding off all the visible rust then the entire underside of the truck was getting coated and rust converter then painted with some kind of metal sealer (guessing its something like POR15 or Rust Seal). After that the entire underside would be undercoated.

When I got my truck back the first thing I noticed is it was A LOT quieter. All that under coating did a great job of killing the road noise. As soon as I go home I put it up in the air. The entire truck looked brand new. Actually better than new.

I guess the key is finding a dealer that will work with you and being polite to them when you do. What I would do is call all of the dealers in the area and ask them to describe the frame replace/repair process and pick the one that has the best process

18. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    John, could you post some pics. Id love to see how good of a job the dealership did. sounds like you have a GREAT dealership. might want to give their name out so others might be as fortunate as you were....

19. Mar 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    Took my Tacoma to the dealership last Monday, and picked it up the next day. They sprayed it and I am satisfied with the additional 15 year warranty. I also do 90% of maintenance myself and kept her clean with fresh water power washes after snow seasons. I did NOT want it to be condemned, as I love this truck.

20. Mar 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Took my 2000 in last Wednesday and failed. My year falls into Toyota's "Buy Back", so they gave me a brand new 2010 Dodge Ram to use until my check comes. They told me 2 - 4 weeks for the check. Hell, this loaner Ram is nice, so they can take their time.....:D Gives me time to look for a new Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top