1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Congressional Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Military' started by trtripoli, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cajun Country
    Vehicle:
    05 Access 4x4
    I haven't read the entire thread but I'm sure y'all have figured out that its the congressional gold medal not the MoH. Regardless it is a high honor and you should be proud of your grandmother for leading the way for female pilots.

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Wow. You got one hell of a grandmother!!!!

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    Ya I dont think she is getting the MOH that kinda of thing isnt just handed out, also the last and ONLY women to recieve this award was in 1865 her name was Dr. Mary E. Walker, so in other words the MOH under most circumstances is given for combat valor and combat action. So ya just thought I would throw that out there.

4. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    rsincavage85

rsincavage85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    Congrats to your Grandmother, I have visited the MOH web page for a college paper I wrote for WWII history and found some amazing things out. It takes a tremendous mount of courage. Not to toot my own whistle, but I have been in Iraq. I admit it was an easy deployment, actually. We recieved indirect fire from a 107mm chinese rocket and was awarded the combat action badge. this is something i refuse to wear because I feel the way it was earned cheapens the awrd for those who actually got engadge by enemy. I actually feel embarased about telling the story.

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Might as well give a MOH to his Grandmother. They gave one to MacArthur for a lot less then what she did. He got one for just being MacArthur.

MacARTHUR, DOUGLAS

Rank and organization: General, U.S. Army, commanding U.S. Army Forces in the Far East. Place and date: Bataan Peninsula, Philippine Islands. Entered service at: Ashland, Wis. Birth: Little Rock, Ark. G.O. No.: 16, 1 April 1942.

Citation:

For conspicuous leadership in preparing the Philippine Islands to resist conquest, for gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against invading Japanese forces, and for the heroic conduct of defensive and offensive operations on the Bataan Peninsula. He mobilized, trained, and led an army which has received world acclaim for its gallant defense against a tremendous superiority of enemy forces in men and arms. His utter disregard of personal danger under heavy fire and aerial bombardment, his calm judgment in each crisis, inspired his troops, galvanized the spirit of resistance of the Filipino people, and confirmed the faith of the American people in their Armed Forces.

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    You forgot to mention how he sneaked out of the phillipines late at night and escaped to the south while his men made the Bataan death march.....

(Nine months and I'm retired too...)

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Awesome! We got a MOH ceremony today here

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    And he opposed the awarding of the medal to General Jonathan Wainwright who he left behind to finish the fight and who was to spend more then three years of deprivation, abuse and torture at the hands of the Japanese as a POW.

General MacArthur in regards to the proposed MOH for General Wrainwright:

"The citation proposed does not represent the truth....As a relative matter award of the Medal of Honor to General Wainwright would be a grave injustice to a number of general officers of practically equally responsible positions who not only distinguished themselves by fully as great personal gallantry thereby earning the DSC but exhibited powers of leadership and inspiration to a degree greatly superior to that of General Wainwright thereby contributing much more to the stability of the command and to the successful conduct of the campaign. It would be a grave mistake which later on might well lead to embarrassing repercussions to make this award."

Yet he had no problem accepting his.

9. Mar 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli [OP] lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling

You were actually right. My grandmother was a WASP (women airforce service pilot), she was not actually in the military. The Congressoinal Medal of Honor is the only millitary service I believe. She received the Congressional Gold Medal, which is the civilian equivlant/the highest award that a civilian can recieve. Still exciting nonetheless, heres a story on her.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news-article.aspx?storyid=153041

10. Mar 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Wow! Congrats to her!

11. Mar 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    cakmakli

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Sorry trtripoli. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. That is really a cool grandma you got there. Has she told you any first hand stories from her flying days that you could post here?

12. Mar 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli [OP] lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    unfortunately no. My grandfather was a pilot for the miliatary, and both him or my grandmother just say no comment when you ask them about any experiences they have had. They'll only talk about what their duties were, but not anything too specific.

And I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a tacomaworld tradition to hijack

13. Mar 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    scott504

scott504 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4, LB, Timberland Mica
  14. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    TexasToyo

TexasToyo The Gunny

Member:
    First Name: