1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lockers and posi for 2wd

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgdeer1, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    ive also read that my tacoma since its TRD comes with a locker is that true?? i still have 1 tire spinning!!!

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
  3. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    come on people i need help! Im a rookie modder lol. I dont understand.. my tacoma prerunner TRD has a locker or no?? Should i get a locker to help me get through stuff i cant get through now?? will it be worth it? Is this locker gonna work if i go with this http://aussielocker.com/item.php/TM949357/374f/20/120006/.html

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

I am in the same situation as you. I have already purchased the Powertrax Lock Right for my truck, I am currently waiting on buying some 4.10 gears for my 5 lug. I've looked into it more and more, this is what I've come down to.

My options:

• buy pre-built diff from ECGS for $625 (includes shipping)
      • I send them my Powertrax
      • they install it with the 4.10 gears
      • I send them my old diff (part of the agreement)
      • install/labor will be cheap (save some cash)
    • Cost: $625 and labor charges for the install ($150-$200<--?)
    OR

• order the 4.10s, master install kit
      • have a local shop do the install
      • labor charges will be more
    • Cost: 4.10 ring/pinion ($100 used), master install kit (~$150 from ebay), Powertrax (already purchased ~$350), and the labor charges ($200-$300<--?)
    I still need to call around for quotes for install. One shop told me $130 with everything install, the guy said he has not installed a lunch box locker, but he is willing to give it a try. I would like to take my truck to a shop who has some one who has experience installing a lunch box locker.

OP, I would suggest calling ECGS, they have great prices and different options, just a matter of what route you would like to go.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Is your truck 4cyl or 6cyl? If it's a true TRD 6cyl, it will have a e-locker (selectable, engage/disengage via electricity)

Go take a look at your rear axle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    If you see something like this (without the guards) you have an e-locker.

To engage/disengage, there is a button on the left side of the dash that says RR DIFF LOCK (it's next to the dash dimmer knob). Press it in to lock it, let it out to unlock it.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
  7. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Oh, and that Aussie is for the front. Your rear has an 8in ring gear, not a 7.5

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    Can you find a 8In ring for me? ive been searching for a locker that will work for my truck but cant! anyone can help please let me know. like i said 100 times lol sorry. 03 prerunner TRD package, 6 lug 4cly thanks! if you find a locker that i need and has good quality please post it here thanks!

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    A locker makes it so both wheels on the axle spin at the same rate*.

If you get a lunchbox locker (Aussie, Lockright, etc) they are only locked when you have power going to the wheels. If you are coasting around a turn, the outside wheel will spin faster that the inside. If you were accelerating thru same turn, both would be spinning at the same rate. The inside wheel will slip when you're turning.

The cheapest way to go is a lincoln locker.

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    ok well i want something thats Safe, gonna get me through mud, good traction. NOT to! exspensive, and easy to install that works for my truck. Ive heard powertrax is what i should get. can anyone find a link to the exact locker i need? or anyother brands

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Powertrax is fine. It is a true locker. Off road it significantly increases traction. It's only drawbacks are potential poor manners on slick roads, the inability to disengage it, and maybe slightly faster wear on the tires.

I don't know much about 1st gens, but if you have a 6 lug TRD Prerunner, you may already have a selectable locker. Do you have a button for it somewhere on your dash? Have you read the owner's manual? If you do have it, your tire will continue to spin until you turn the damn thing on.

Are you seriously saying "come on people i need help!" I damn near wrote a book for you in this thread.

You may already have a locker. I don't know. Like I said, look at the dash for a button that ays locker on it. Reading the owner's manual is probably an even better place to start. It will tell you exactly where to look on the dash for said button.

Will a locker help stay unstuck? Yes.

Is it worth it? Depends how often you get stuck and how much money you have for mods.

Is there drawbacks to a locker? They can be expensive and yes, some of them have drawbacks.

Is an ARB aussie locker good? No, they're great. They are one of the most respected selectable lockers. You're looking at over $1000 to have it and the compressor installed though.

Your welcome.

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    lol i told you like 100 times i do not have a button for the lock unlock! and i said "come on ppl i need help" because ive been trying to find a site that has the locker I need to get! and i obbviously cant find it so im asking people to help! you are a great help dont get me wrong, u have explained alot of info to me thank you. But i need to find the locker that will work for me, u pretty much sold me on the locker idea, i think its great, now help me look for a locker! please haha sorry =D

13. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Full time lockers aren't "unsafe" once you learn how to drive with them.

If you want something cheap and locked 100% of the time, lincoln lock it.
    If you want something expensive and you choose when its locked, get an ARB.
    If you want something in the middle and locked only when power is going to it, get a lunchbox locker (Aussie, Lockright, Powertrax, etc.)

Your truck has an 8" Rear, 30 spline. Use this knowledge, plus how much you want to spend, and go look at all the options yourself.

14. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    tmat

tmat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Treavor
    Cypress, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab, PreRunner
    BHLM, de-badged, custom Manoukian flowmaster exhaust system, Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks set at 1.75", "smoked" foglights, Satoshi grille mod, 265/75r16 BFG T/A KO tires, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, solid rear window, Weathertech floor liners and painted grill surround
    do your own god damn research man. It isn't our obligation to help you out. Yes yes, you are a "rookie" modder. So are a lot of the people on here. Search first, do your research, THEN ask for help. jee whiz :mad:

15. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    ohh come on i have been on this thread now for a couple hours trying to get help and yeah sure i got help! But come on u think im just sitting here asking yall for answers! hell no ive been searching online left and right upside down and side ways... Im also doing my part if you were sitting next to me lol.. im just asking for a little assistance on find the locker, ive tried and till this post still am.

16. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
  17. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Actually you only said it once and you said it while I was typing up another essay for you. I never saw it.

Go to fourwheelparts.com. Type in your exact vehicle description. It will then only pull up parts that fit your vehicle, including lockers and limited slips. There are other sites that will allow you to do the same.

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    ok thank you...

19. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
  20. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius

Products Discussed in

To Top