1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To dual or not to dual. That's the question!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by texred73, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    texred73

texred73 [OP] Trailrunner07dsm

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC DSM TRD Offroad
    Only the maglight mod,mounted on floor drivers side, billet antenna and have lined all storage under rear seats with rubber to keep the rattling to a minimum.
    I have an 07 prerunner dc trd off road. I want to do dual exhaust but was curious if it made much of a difference In hp:confused::confused::confused: if combined with intake upgrade. Help a brother out![​IMG]

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    good question!! i would like to know too...
    :popcorn:

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I think if anything you lose hp. There was a post here not to long ago about someone running dual then putting on a single and being suprised with the "power gains" from switching to a single exit exhaust

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I have Flowmaster 50 duals and didn't feel much of a difference either way. If anything, the motor seems a bit more responsive. No complaints here.

Edit - but then I added the dual chrome tips and WOW!!!!:p

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    A true dual system will hurt your performance. Backpressure reduction is not as important in a nearly stock/naturally aspirated engine as exhaust scavenging is.

If you want dual outlets- Look for a nice set of headers, a good ypipe, a high flow muffler ( Dynomax Super Turbo are pretty solid) and get a dual outlet style with piping where ever you want the outlets.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    I went dual originally, and now im going to change back to single out and dump over the axle... Duals seem to be a little less noisey too.

7. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    NeoMoose

NeoMoose Possibly Batman

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC TRD O.R.
    Kenwood eXcelon X993, Kenwood KFC-1693PS (Front), Kenwood KFC-G1620 (Rear), Luverne Black Nerf Bars, OEM Brush Guard, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-In, Some kickass wheel locks, Removed front mud flaps, All windows tinted, Anti-theft tailgate mod
    I'd go for a performance single just because I really like the stock look when it comes to exhaust on trucks. Crazy truck exhausts start to look tacky real fast.

8. Mar 16, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I got the MBRP duals and love the way it sounds and looks. Its not a true dual so I dunno if that matters as far as the performance. I didn't notice a difference in the way the truck drives after I put it on but it definitely sounds better!

9. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I would think you would lose hp with a true dual setup.

10. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    longhornsfan23

longhornsfan23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    02 Black Taco 2.7L
    STRAIGHT PIPE! ,5% all around w/ 10inch eyebrow, BFG all terrains
    stock exhaust w/ muffler cut outs is the way to go if u wanna make a lot of noise lol

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    True duals will be too much for an N/A truck.

If you are doing the single in, dual out muffler, you will be fine. The dual piping is so far down in the exhaust stream, that it will have little difference in performance. If the piping from the merger to the muffler is 2.5" then you should see some gains.

12. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    texred73

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Only the maglight mod,mounted on floor drivers side, billet antenna and have lined all storage under rear seats with rubber to keep the rattling to a minimum.
    Not looking to make noise, just longer black marks on take offs!! HA:cool:

13. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    texred73

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I know bud, every time I wash and wax mine it seems to go soo much faster. :confused: Wierd huh?

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    texred73

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I'm only in the idea stage right now but i've considered everything as an option except the mighty $upercharger! Maybe a chip or reprogramming the CPU for HP. I'm only willing to do the exhaust switch and intake upgrade if there's a noticeable improvement. I don't race at all but I would like to pass a vette and leave him with a WTF look on his face!

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    you'll need a lot more then intake and exhaust to do that.

Start saving your doll hairs for a supercharger. :D

16. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have #17432 FM 50 dual catback setup. I didn't buy it for horsepower.
    I bought it for the sound and I've always like duals.
    It's bling ... but I like it.

If I wanna experience true horsepower...I'll drive my corvette. :D

17. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I think older muscle cars were doin duals because of limited choices in tube diameters and such stuff that i really wasnt around for, the look stayed. You can get any needed diameter and muffler nowdays from Borla JBA flowmaster etc , dual exhaust is just a style anymore, I'd say your best with a single exhaust. Hell, even the 11 liter and 14 liter trucks at work have a single exhaust.

There isnt much to gain in any exhaust, they make a loud sound that leaves you with the impression of power imo. If you get a good exh combined with a good CAI youll see the gains, but wont feel the $1200 +/- was worth it. FWIW i'd like to do a CAI and exh on my 4 cyl, from what iv'e seen the doug thorley header is by far better the better option for power.

18. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    On the new 4cyl, your better off getting the LC Engineering header. MUCH better designed, and will give you the best bang for you buck when it comes to simple bolt-ons.

Headers > catback in terms of performance (as long as the headers are designed right). And the LCE ones, are definitely designed well.

Products Discussed in

To Top