1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are cold intake systems worth the money and do they help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by copdude33, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Yea, just do a search for deck plate mod. Someone here did a really good write up on it with step by step how to and even pics!

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Yea you're right. Still drop in air filter should do well enough. Trust me K&N is not worth the $$$ its all hype, and the pretty sound.LOL.

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    make your own. make an area that enclosed from 4 sides: bottom top left side from engine heat then that back side. pipe into the box, put a filter and leave the front and right side open. enclose the area to the side of the engine bay and all the way to the front with the left side.

4. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    i have a manual

5. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    The OEM air intake system brings in more "cold air" than most aftermarket CAI's.

6. Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    Can someone give me the part # that will fit 2010 Tacoma I need a AFE pro dry s air filter. I was toying with the idea of CAI but i just want the AFE. PART #? ANYONE?
    Thanks in advance!!

7. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I know this is a pretty common argument for those who support oem and oem only, but I dont agree. Manufacturers install pieces like the air filter with longevity and durability of the engine in mind. Something that will filter more particles to keep the intake tract cleaner. I am willing to bet that any mfg will sacrifice HP for durability and longevity. The aftermarket crowd, who is interested in this stuff, will do the opposite.

Now, I'm not saying that a CAI will do anything. In most cases, I agree that it wont. However, a better flowing air filter will do something and its easy to prove with some proper, easy tests.

8. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    actually, strictly from a financial perspective they're worth it, not having to ever replace your filter. math is math.

second, they do allow more airflow in comparison to a standard air filter once it (the paper air filter) starts getting dirty - which of course you could replace them more often, which only makes the K&N purchase and even better move.

9. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Why are we respectively argueing haha didn't chris4x4 and another member and ,I think it was gadget already disprove traditional aftermarket CAI (other than the ones gadget sells haha) the reason urds "works" is because the filter is out of the engine bay. And I parenthsied works because I have no experience with it but people do like it

10. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Sorry maybe you misunderstoood, the K&N cold air intake kit is not worth the price, i have nothing against the drop in air filter. I just hate having to oil it and being concerned that i put to much oil on it.

11. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Well then you should note that you are waiting longer before shifts, as in youre letting in rev higher before you shift, and that is why you think theres a hp gain. Dont believe me? try it. Pick a set of rpm's that you would like to shift at, preferably under 2k. Then drive your truck around with the knn kit and make sure you shift at the exact same rpms every time. Then take the kit of and do it again with the oem intake. note the difference in velosity gain, and overall speed on the shift.

12. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I'm not sure if I would say it was worth the money but I do like it and would recommend the TRD Cold Air Intake.
    [​IMG]

13. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    customz

customz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner access 2wd 4cyl 5sp
    great post. increased airflow is from reduced filtration = engine wear.

Products Discussed in

To Top