1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are steering controls worth it? Kenwood or Alpine

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fish Tacos, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Aug 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM
    Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Conn
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
  2. Aug 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I had wheel controls on my highschool car- and never really used them that much. I had a remote control that I'd use more for my car after that- but I just use the radio dials and buttons now...

Have you had them before?? Did you like them?? That's really the key question to ask- if they make you happy....throw down the bones and get the extra equipment.

3. Aug 24, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have found that I REALLY like the steering controls. My $0.02

4. Aug 24, 2008 at 7:10 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I really miss my steering wheel controls right now. I never had them before and just used the radio buttons, but with the new taco I had new buttons. I installed a Pioneer H/U a week ago and I am ready to wire in the adapter.

5. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I like having it just because I hate buttons that do nothing. I have an Alpine.

• There is a slight delay, so instead of a quick push it's more of a definite push. Trying to make small volume changes is easier done directly with the deck
    • My HU has access to the station preset buried in a menu, so the up/down control on the steering wheel handles that - very nice for me. Sucks that it can't do that AND do track skip on my iPod, only does one or the other depending on wiring.
    I like it simply because of the added functionality from my second bullet point. Otherwise, it's easy enough to reach over.

Products Discussed in

To Top