1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Pistols for Left Handers

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Phlip4x4Sport, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I love my Ruger revolvers. I'd argue that in just the last couple years, Ruger makes better revolvers than Smith. That's right, I said it. Now I will forever burn in hell for this blasphemous comment.

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I might agree they're as good as...
    SW has it all over Ruger for innovation, models, and I like forged steel over 4lb castings.
    I have a bunch of Ruger guns and they're only impressive in their simplicity.
    I did have a Super Bearcat in my hands at the shop an hour ago.
    Cool little deal.

3. Mar 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    I'm left handed too and like Glocks. The mag release is easily operated with your trigger finger and the extended slide release makes it easy to lock back the slide if you have to. The new gen4 Glocks have a redesigned mag release that is ambidextrous. They also have interchangeable back straps.

M&P pistols also have ambi controls.

On another note... If you get a revolver, go with a regular old right handed one. I saw one of the Charter Arms left hand revolvers at a shop and even with the little bit of experience I have with regular revolvers, it was really awkward to work.

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    x2 for HK. this is the p2000. picked it up a month of so ago, and I love it. Ambidextrious mag and slide release. available in 9 or 40 (mine's 40) and in a few different trigger versions. (mine is the V3, which is single action/ double action w/decocker) but to each their own. They have a couple different variations on DA only as well. Such an easy gun to be good with IMO.

[​IMG]

5. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    airsoft_warrior

airsoft_warrior Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Edgewater, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Limited
    TRD Performance Exhaust
    Xd all the way!!!

6. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Rob Leatham is left handed by birth but shoots right handed (he shoots an XD).

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Rob Leatham has endorsed XDs, but he can and does shoot everything with a trigger. Most of his championships were won with 1911 style pistols.

8. Mar 20, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am also all about the XD/XD-M's.

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    This is true.

10. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified

Yes, I have tried the glocks. They are comfortable... and I know I won't trust my life or anyone elses to a 12 cent piece of metal... but I just can't get over not having a safety on the weapon. Illogical.. but it's me.

I'll look at the M&Ps. Thanks.

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

That looks sweet. Not too pricey either for a Ferrari.

12. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

hmmm... Are you left handed? How do you trigger the slide release?

13. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

Yeah, I can shoot either handed and can change my eye dominance as well but... that XD slide release was clunky to shoot left handed.

14. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Rainman998

Rainman998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    "The QC" AZ
    Vehicle:
    SEXY 2010 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Waiting for my sugar mama to hook it up
    I have been shooting for the last 15 years solid or so and I have to say when you shoot and do any reload drills don't worry about the slide release. If the time comes and you have a stressful situation where you have to perform an empty gun reload you don't want a fine reflex action of hitting the slide release left or right handed. You can just pull back on the slide when its locked to the rear and the catch will disengage. That is the muscle memory you want to teach yourself. That is how we train in the Law Enforcement Community.

I am left handed and was taught to shoot initially as a kid by my redenck uncles and my dad. I still am left hand and eye dominant but taught myself to shoot rifles right handed in the Marine Corps because it makes sense to be as proficient as possible.

Then when I went into the Law Enforcement Community after the Corps I really got into handgun shooting and pretty much learned with Glock. If you can learn proper trigger control I would strongly recommend Glock but it can be difficult with it dual stage trigger. I learned and can shoot my State LE Qual both left and right handed rifle and handgun. (Which later helped me when doing building clearing with SWAT call-outs)

Just buy what you want as far as grip angle, recoil, and a round that you prefer. Train with empty gun reloads, reloading the weapon as smoothly as possible while keeping the muzzle on target. I only use the slide release to lock the slide to the rear. A small pull back on the slide will chamber your next round.

I shoot mostly Glock and prefer it it hasn't done me wrong and I obviously trust my life with it.

If you have kids and are in it more for recreation and home protection I would recommend XD's. For the grip safety and other safety features that would give more peace of mind with kids in the house.

Just a Jarhead Deputies .02

v150range.jpg
    swat3.jpg
    ForethoughtMCSO.jpg

15. Mar 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified

Thanks for the thoughts. Definitely worth more than .02 cents. All my training came through Boy Scouts and related NRA members with more of an emphasis on safety and accuracy than on tactical shooting. Manually cycling the slide on a reload makes sense.

Rep coming your way....

Is this method also not weapon dependant? Are there any automatic pistols that will not release the slide this way?

16. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    I am left handed as well and I would recommend a Sig Sauer! I have a Sig P229 9mm, a P226 BWT, a Sig P245, and a Sig P250 Sub 9mm. I don't have any issues with the slide using either hand and haven't had any issues with any of my Sigs!

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    Rainman998

Member:
    "The QC" AZ
    Vehicle:

Not all but most 1911's, all Glocks, XD's and most other Tactical/Practical auto loaders will. I am pretty obsessive compulsive with mine so I would play with the action before I bought. I haven't found many that wont cyle the way except for the P.O.S. Chollo crap handgun with duct tape all over the handle.

18. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    New and Unmodified
    Thanks for all the great info... Looks like it is time to go back to the range(s) and try out some more pistols.

19. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Shack

Shack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Chester, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100-Front (1.75"), Pop N' Lock Tailgate, Rear Leaf TSB MR. Marv custom box and amp rack, JL 13TW-5, Memphis Audio Amps and Door Speaker, JVC DVD DD HU, Wet Okole, Weathertech Mats, Bed Mat
    I wouldn't trust my life with a 12 million dollar piece of metal either. I'm not sure what piece youre referring to, but Glock is hands down one of the safest weapons on the planet. It is physically impossible for the weapon to fire on its own. It does however lack a "dummy button" as a standard option. Just do not pull the trigger and the firearms will not shoot.

While I do not question you're training or experience, have you ever tried to do this with one hand? I too have trained myself in this technique, but it is not the end all. There are multiple scenarios, especially in a home invasion where one hand/off hand shooting is an absolute truth. A citizen should always be prepared for that. It is also a high valued technique when one hand/arm is incapacitated during a firefight. I have seen this scenario first hand. That being said, proper manipulation of the firearm one handed using its proper controls is essential.

I trust my life every day now with Glocks, but they are not the most friendly weapons for lefties, and can be very dangerous for inexperienced owners, and owners with small children. Most S&W M&P models use virtually the same safety system, I do believe there are LE models the have safeties though. It goes back to what you said about a 12 cent piece of metal, does that same 12 cent piece lure you into a false sense of security, by making you believe the weapons can an will not fire when engaged? I have fixed numerous firearms that had malfunctioning safeties before.

Finally on that note, where is the safety on a revolver? I contend that the Glock firearms, and others who use a similar safety system are MORE safe, due to the fact that they will not misfire when dropped etc.

Not trying to discount anyone elses opinions, just trying to expand the conversation.

20. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Rainman998

Member:
    "The QC" AZ
    Vehicle:
    I most definitely train to use the slide release lever with both my right and left hands when shooting using my left or right as primary. I also train one handed out and use my trigger finger on my left to use the slide lock and birdie to drop the empty mag. Or my right thumb if shooting right one handed. But I mostly utilize my off hand to pull the slide to the back. Or if shooting one handed you can pull the slide back with your pant leg(depending on your sights, I prefer Trijicon Night Sights) like the "cool way" to light a zippo. Whatever gets the job done. One handed takes more practice but a shooter can be proficient with time.

The thing I hate the most are one handed mag exchanges while simulating an injury. They suck no matter what hand you use but its a necessary evil IMO.

I just prefer to train in every possible scenario possible because you never know what cards you are going to be dealt. But it all comes down to practice, confidence and muscle memory. Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.

Products Discussed in

To Top