1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow tires off!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HankB, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    HankB

HankB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    After celebrating about 2" of snow in the first day of spring (near Chicago) it looks like the snow could be behind us.:D So I took the snows off and swapped back to regular tires. Before I put them on, I gave them a good scrubbing and waxing. They are not holding up well. :mad: There is a lot of bubbling under the paint starting at the back edge of the spokes (regular TRD OR alloys.) I guess if I ever manage to wear out the tires, I'll get them blasted and painted. In the mean time, I slathered as much wax as I could on the backs of the wheels to try to slow down the corrosion.

I can now confirm that Discount Tire will reprogram the TPM system for no extra charge when I swap tires. They didn't blink, didn't even fill out paper work; just grabbed their hand held device and got to it. :thumbsup: There was one wrinkle. The tech had difficulty dropping the spare tire to let air out of it (which is part of the procedure for a 2006.) After looking at that myself, I strongly urge you to have a trial run doing this under good conditions. I also recommend carrying a flash light because you will probably need to use it, night or day. The free LED flash lights you get at Harbor Freight are ideal for that. (Coupons can be found at http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1276399 - my collection is growing. :D)

Time to celebrate spring. Here's a shot of a forsythia clipping from our yard that's already blooming:
    [​IMG]

They're not blooming yet in the yard, but you can bring clippings of stuff like this inside and the warmth in the house will make them bloom.

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Ah, yes the spring change over... swapped out the snowies 5 days ago, earilest ever. After 3 ft of snow in late Feb, March has been warmest on record. If it snows again, will have to learn to drive SLOWLY on the all seasons:rolleyes:. The winter rubber does not like 50-60 temps. Want to save my Blizzaks for another season... will be winter #7 for em. Over 18K and still 8/32 left. Been a great investment.

Gave em a wash and to the shed. Surprised after 6 winters the black steelies are holding up great. Just a little sanding and touch up around the rim. My 17' alloys are bubbled too despite sitting out the winter.

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    lol I thought most people ran tires for all seasons.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    :woot: for Spring! Cool that Discount Tire took care of the swap & reprogramming for ya!

Yes I am almost ready to swap but today its snowing and sleeting plus I still head up to the mtn. On the nice days, I've been driving the Honda. OT but, How much snowmobiling did you get in this season? Mine was a bust, only 5 days a little over 700 miles, sleds are already summerized.

lol, yeah up here in winter all you hear is the tick tick tick in the parking lots & I'm glad I have them since DOT started their brine road treatment experiment this year. That made pure ice. :eek:

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    HankB

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Hi Tim,
    Most people probably do. But consider that a tire which is purpose built for a specific use is going to be better for that use than something that tries to cover all of the bases. Snow/ice traction is important enough to me to spend the $$$ for special purpose tires. For others, it is probably mud tires or highway tires.

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Only rode about once a month, four 100+ mile rides was all... gotta balance w/ trips to the ski hill, esp w/ a 1 and 3 y/o on one income, not as easy to get out last couple years! And main reason trying to make the magic tires last... just running in the 'core' of winter.

7. Apr 3, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Just saw your reply...yes it is a juggling act. Cool you got some mountain time, I only went skiing once this season...not like me at all :(

Studded Tire Set is officially off today!! :woot:
    75 degrees yesterday, 80 today it was overdue.
    The ride is sooo much more nicer :)

8. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    wow, here in oregon sine about sunday its been snowing in the foothills around the valley. That elevation is about 1000 ft. The mts here have gotten just 1-3ft of snow yesterday. This whole week well of 50in. They extended our studded tire limit till 12am the night of the 10th.

9. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    wow...you know our winter never happened this year in Northern VT. We got a good snowfall early, 36" the day after New Years than it rained and every storm stayed south. DC had like 60" in two weeks, south to Florida it snowed.. we got zip nada nothing. Southern VT did get some late season snow but by then it was too late. Warm temps & no cold nights made sugaring a short season... the treees started budding ending that too. :(

Guess you will live up to your screen name, its a cool name.
    On my snowmobile forums, I am tundrafreak :D

10. Apr 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I just taken off my studded winter tires and put the summer tires back on. Wow what a difference! The truck is finally smooth and quite again.

11. Apr 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    Just had my blizaks taken off. I can't say enough good things about them. They were 5 years old and were just about to the wear indicators. They were starting to get weather cracks so I sold them for $20. Just for piece of mind I'll by new next season and hope I get another 100k out of them

12. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Sforza

Sforza The Forcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SRD V6
    ARE Camper
    Its spring here in Houston too.

I am running the air conditioner today.

The azalea has been blooming for about two weeks now and it is just a little past its prime.

[​IMG]

13. Apr 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Not quite time to take the snows off here in Wyoming just yet. Got 12" of snow in the past 3 days and it's still a bit chilly. Probably keep them on at least another two weeks.

14. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    dsds

dsds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Up here in Calgary and southern Alberta the roads are all dry but history says we'll still see a big dump or two before the end of the month. I'm keeping mine on until then.
    I bought Yokohama Geolandar I/T winter tires and they were great.
    I put them on these MB Razor rims, all from Discount Tire:

taco_bbf74844341e61d5dc98313a286dbd77f128a0d2.jpg

15. Apr 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    HankB

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    I can't absoultely rule out snow in the Chicago area at this point. I recall a Cub Scout hike a few years ago when we got about 5" in early May. But it didn't stick more than a day or so. This weekend we were heading to UIUC for this former Cub Scout's wedding and I didn't want snows on for the upper 70° temps we'd be seeing. (I guess that hike must have been about 20 years ago... ;) )

Products Discussed in

To Top