1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Miserable Hella 500 failure.... again

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by texastacobueno, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    texastacobueno

texastacobueno [OP] Effin A Cotton, Effin A

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    College Station, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    Pop N Lock - Westin sportsman guard - Hella 500 fogs - extra D-rings - Mag Lite mounts
    So I've done multiple engine overhauls, did my front suspension upgrade solo, and it was easy. Oil changes, trans. fluid changes, all this tooting of my own horn is just to say that I have a basic idea of my way around my truck. BUT I CANNOT wire up my 2 Hella 500's to save my life. I dunno if I have a bad switch (Toyota OEM) or the relay is bad. But today was my second try and it was just another failure. Any ideas?

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    ...Gotta know how you're trying to wire it.

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    texastacobueno

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    College Station, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    Pop N Lock - Westin sportsman guard - Hella 500 fogs - extra D-rings - Mag Lite mounts
    well its laid out exactly as the Hella wiring diagram shows, with the exception being that instead of splicing from my relay into my high beems instead I bought a mini-fuse tap and Im tapping into my auxillary fuse board through my switch.

This is how they say to run the setup....

[​IMG]

except my green wire goes from the switch to the auxillary fuse panel....
    Any ideas?

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    is it just not turning on or what?

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Sounds dumb, but recheck your splice connectors. I seem to have a dud 10% of the time at least. Also how are your grounds? If one is bad nothing will fire.

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    texastacobueno

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    College Station, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    yeah the switch has a light and thats not turning on and neither are the lights

I actually went out there today and cut out every single connector that was made on the harness and just stripped the wires back and spliced 'em directly together on every connection. and then at the switch I wrapped bare wire around each of the prongs to ensure secure connection. With the grounds I did the same thing, stripped em out, wrapped em around a screw then screwed it into the metal fender.

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    texastacobueno

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    College Station, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport

ehhh.... whats a VOM or DVM? I have a meter could I just use that? I had 2 seperate grounds. I dunno if the relay is working, i dunno what the click is. And yeah I'm sure the light is wired up right. I was really hopin to have this done today and then finish my CB tomorrow. Seems like it may take a bit longer...

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Ok well i helped someone else on mod day with the wiring also for hello 500's really shitty relay setup but you work with what you got.

Ok your green wire goes to your auxilaury 12v from the fuse. Dedicated or even to your battery since well its 12v anyways and you have an inline fuse already installed. This wire goes to your #2 on the switch.

I just noticed you don't have a picture of your relay. It's very helpful.

Just remember red is positive and means live wire. You can ground your blue wire to any metal bolt that makes contact to metal, no need to scrap the paint off. So with the lights, you need to ether connect all your red wires together, and your black wired together to be ground, or you can ground each light separately. (I find it's easier to do the red wire from the lights in pairs if you have 4 lights)

#3 on your switch is a ground wire you need to ground that.

I duno what your relay is but this might help.
    Yellow is 86
    Black from relay is 87 to lights,
    Blue is your ground 85, sorry universally black means ground but for you it's blue.
    Red on the relay is 30
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    texastacobueno

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    College Station, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    well i dont want em on with my high beams, I'd like to be able to control them seperatley. I'll see if i can figure this damn thing out. Thanks for all the input guys

10. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Follow my diagram, it's probably that you hooked up the relay wrong or hooked up the wrong color wires with the switch. On is the top part and behind that is 1.

11. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Check your connections and check your ground wires...
    I've had a lot of problems with the grounds getting knocked loose while I was installing the rest of the wires or it wasn't a good enough ground point like I had thought...

12. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    00taco

00taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    cali
    Vehicle:
    black 00 tacoma v6
    wheels, tires, sound system, hid headlights, 1st gen fog light mod, tinted tails hella 500s on custom light bar, dust light, led white guages/dash lights, color matched grille, exhuast, blacked bumper and accents....
    if it still doesnt work try like mine and use no relay mine have the hotwire from the battery (w/ in line fuse) that goes to switch then the lights are on one wire to the switch and the ground all works great

13. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have one of those hella switches that is not installed. It is labeled with the center terminal as "load". That's where you would connect the trigger wire from the switch to the relay coil (coil is terminals 85 and 86). The diagram you posted I believe is wrong, the positive wire from the headlight circuit (or any positive 12 volts source) is supposed to go on the top. Try reversing the yellow and green wires at the switch. Also use your meter (also called a VOM or DVM) to check for positive 12 volts across the green wire from your aux fuse block (headlight circuit on the diagram) and a good ground. Relay terminals are labeled-30 is positive power from battery (red), 87 is positive power out to your lights (black), terminals 85 and 86 are the relay's coil-one of them gets grounded (blue), the other recieves 12 volts positive from your switch (yellow). It's possible the plastic socket for the relay is wired wrong. Also check your fuse at the battery (red wire) and your trigger circuit (green). You can bypass the switch (disconnect yellow and green at switch and touch them together) to see if it's bad. You can also unplug the relay and connect red (from battery) and black (power to lights). If your lights are grounded properly, they should come on. I hope this is helping you, let us know what happens.

14. Mar 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I'd check things in the following order:
    1. Check to make sure your lights actually work. Take the wires plugged into the battery and running to the lights and connect them together. The lights should light up. These should then be plugged into 30 and 87 in the relay (officially, 30 should go to the battery, but in this case it doesn't really matter). If not, you have either a power issue or a ground issue. Also, dont forget to check your fuse.

2. Check to make sure your relay works. Ground 85, and connect power to 86 (straight from the battery is fine). You should hear a click. If you have 30 and 87 plugged in (going to lights and battery), the lights should turn on after you connect power to the relay.

3. Check to make sure you have power going to the switch in the cab. Hook up the volt meter or test light and verify you have power coming in. If you're running it directly from the battery, make sure to fuse it (dont need much of a fuse as it shouldn't take more than 1amp to power the switch led and activate the relay). If you're running from the acc fuse, make sure your ignition is in the acc or on position before testing.

There are basically two loops with a relay. The high side and the low side. The high side actually powers the lights and the low side charges a little magnet connecting the high side together.

The way it should be wired is:
    1st loop: Battery -> fuse -> Relay (30/87) -> Lights -> Ground
    2nd loop: Battery (or whatever you want to activate the lights) -> fuse -> Switch -> Relay (85/86) -> Ground

Your switch will also require a ground if its lighted.

Products Discussed in

To Top