1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

high-flo cat throwing check engine code

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JadXtreme, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    JadXtreme

JadXtreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Bladen County, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 green 4wd ext cab taco. v6 auto
    black headlights/park lights, black bumper, clear turn signals, black euro taillights, Sony cd player, 30 9.50s Federal all terrain tires on stock wheels
    I run across a pretty good deal on a high flow cat-convertor for my 98 Tacoma. Direct bolt on Magnaflow. The same time I put the new cat on, I changed out both of the O2 sensors since one of em was wore out and throwing a code.

Now the check engine light comes on, stays on a day or so, and cuts back off. Its been doing that since I put the new cat and sensors on. I finally had a chance to have it scanned and they told me it was a P0420 code. Said it might be the cat convertor.

The truck doesn't run bad though and I can't really tell a difference in the old cat and the new one. Would it be a good idea to slap the old one back in just to keep the light from coming on or do you think the code might be be something more?

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    In my mind I am questioning whether or not putting on the old catalytic converter would help your situation. You ever think that one of your new sensors might be bad or even installed a little funny? Just a thought...

3. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    This is common when putting in a high flow cat. I would try a o2 sim from urd.

4. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    ^^^^

Agreed.

5. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    skillet_83

skillet_83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD-S 4x4 Cement
    get one of these guys...moves the O2 sensor a little further away from the stream. From what I read the code is basically saying your cat isn't doing it's job well enough. Makes sense since you have a high flow as opposed to a "greener" (also more restrictive) cat. A new OEM cat would probably set you back a lot more and take away horse power so I'd definately try the extension thing. HFCs are usually carb legal... but you live in the south so no worries there.

Oh... btw you probably don't feel a loss in power on the butt dyno... but a with a HFC you should feel a slight increase depending on the restrictions of the stocker. On most vehicles the cat is the biggest bottle neck in the exhaust system... followed closely by the headers on a naturally aspirated vehicle.

[​IMG]

6. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    JadXtreme

JadXtreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Bladen County, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 green 4wd ext cab taco. v6 auto
    black headlights/park lights, black bumper, clear turn signals, black euro taillights, Sony cd player, 30 9.50s Federal all terrain tires on stock wheels
    Will it hurt anything the way that it is? I don't have to worry about passing any kind of emissions inspections or anything. My O2 sensors don't screw in like that, it has 2 bolts that hold them in.

What does the O2 sim do?

7. Mar 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah...we got the double post/stud o2 sensors. best bet...as mentioned a few posts back...is the o2 sensor sim from urdusa.com...............and they are very easy to install. im gonna get one soon so i can gut my cats on my 3.4.

8. Mar 31, 2010 at 2:55 AM
    skillet_83

skillet_83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD-S 4x4 Cement
    o2 sim just sends a false signal to your ecu that way you won't get a CEL... it's very common with long tubes and test pipes. Costs around 130 dollars. You could try an exhaust shop to see if they could fab up something to work with your 02 sensor that will move it further away from the stream... the URD is 100% garunteed though.

Worst case senario is your truck my retard timing a little to compensate... don't know how the tacoma ecu works though. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything though.

Products Discussed in

To Top