1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Get Rear leaf TSB done before buying?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cobrakenny, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    cobrakenny

cobrakenny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab 4x4 LB
    Thanks for your input ecrepeau...I think.
    FYI havn't actually been into the dealers yet. I have very specific needs in this truck, just doing as much research as I can at this great resorce before heading in so I can be educated and be sure to get the truck I want and need for the best price.
    As far as the negotiations part... although I appreciate your advice... aint gonna be no bullying goin on... this isn't BY FAR my first new truck, car or motorcycle rodeo dude.

I'll let you all know how I make out.
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    ickthus

ickthus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVID
    MOBILE,AL
    Vehicle:
    OC
    2.75BL5100'S/UNDERCOVER
    not only did they put the tbs on before but put my 5100's on as well . i told them i would not sign papers untill it was approved. service manager and salesman called Toyota service rep, and he said NP, do it. The TBS on the 08 was not even out yet. Toyota said it was the same as the 05-07 and would be coming out for the 08 soon anyway so make the sale and do it. The dealership doesn't want your money, fine one that will. i went to two different stealerships before i found one that would help me do anything i wanted. this was Jan. 7 2008. Dealerships are just like everything, good and bad. find one that doesn't play games or you.

3. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
  4. Apr 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    13wareagle

13wareagle hawg head-if ya can eat it I kill it!

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    off-road TRD mt.edition
    vent shades,blk diamond plate tool box,trd slush mats
    Man you are awesome! Now dose anyone have something else that I need to get the stealership to do so I can have the truck, like was expected when I bought it, without worries for the safety of my family.I need everything that you guys know of to tell my dealer about and how to get them to fix them.Thanks

5. Apr 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    harvey

harvey New Member

Member:
    I just had the TSB done at 1100 miles. Told them I had hauled lumber amd the springs felt bottomed out. No issues with the dealership and the new 4 leaf springs ride a lot better and carry a load. 2010 Taco double cab long box.

6. Apr 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    How do dealerships lose money? I realize that they are paid a lower $ per hour rate than non warranty work, but I don't see how they lose money. I don't believe that they are turning away non warranty work in favor of TSB work.

Another question that I have is why Toyota doesn't ship all new Tacoma's with the improved leaf pack? I was on a dealer's lot recently and all of the new Tacoma's had the same old 3 leaf pack.

7. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    If this is true, why are dealers saying no to this work in general. I think they are reimbursed by Toyota at a lower rate then their regular service rate otherwise there would be no reason to give the customer a hard time on TBS issues.

8. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150

It's all related to costs. It's cheaper for Toyota to manufacture a ride compliant three leaf pack equipped truck than to run the four leaf pack into the production line and provide a stiffer suspension that a majority of the american truck buying public may not want.

If Toyota only has to pay to swap out 1% to 2% of the three leaf packs to four leaf packs due to customer complaints then financially it's the best move.

9. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It's a set pay rate for each job. So if the rear leaf spring swap takes three hours to do but Toyota only calculates two hours then I could see why a dealer may be less inclined to perform the work.

Warranty repairs performed on our lift trucks at work varies as well as far as what the manufacturer(Doosan/Daewoo) has determined how long a specific job will take. One of our trucks had a service TSB on the exhaust manifold and the service tech said he could swap it out in two hours. Daewoo paid for four hours for that job so the service tech was more than willing to do the work.

10. Apr 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    goingcamping

goingcamping Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Custom body work...boat trailer came of hitch, hit tailgate and Rammed stick thru lower valance while towing boat....hmmm, Maybe I should get a new boat?!?
    I cannot speak for other dealerships...I can hardly speak for that matter...but I think it's an individual preference of each dealer! Maybe they're so busy with other business (at prevailing shop rates) that they don't want to dilute the profit margins?!?

All I can say is a good dealership will not blow you off (blowing you would be cool?) and the 2 here have been more than accommodating with any/all warranty service work! Call the sales person that you bought the Taco from and explain your concerns...sometimes that will help as they love referrals and repeat business. You could always go to another dealer or find an independent shop that is certified for Toyota Warranty work (not sure how prevalent this is).

Good Luck and remember the old adage, "the squeaky wheel, gets the grease"! Call the BBB and complain, call local media (extreme and unlikely they'll care!) We have a radio guy in Denver called "The Trouble-Shooter" he's a consumer advocate and if someone here in CO has an issue with a business, he makes the call on a consumer's behalf and raises holy hell (bad publicity) for that business if they don't at least resolve the issue. Sometimes it is the consumer but he definitely listens to both sides, usually siding with the consumer, but not always...I digress!

Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top