1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire selection for Colorado

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NetMonkey, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    sooo.... before i was offered the job in colorado, i had decided to run with the KM2's. being in so cal, that tire seemed like a perfect choice because i wouldnt be seeing any snow or ice. but now that i am moving to colorado, i dont know if that tire would be appropriate.

so, what tires do you guys in CO run with? would the KM2's still be ok out there?
    i saw some reviews that said the goodyear duratracs are great in the snow and ice, but how are they for an all-around tire?
    i also checked tire rack:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&ln=en
    and the reviews on the duratracs seem mixed.

anyone have any experience with an aggressive off-road tire that can handle snow and ice ok?

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    bumpity-bump

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    so... i did a ton of researching and i read lots of reviews on MT tires.
    for an MT tire in the varying conditions that colorado will offer, the mickey thompson MTZ consistantly had good reviews (and they look really good :) ). so i think i will go with that tire :)

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    elgin

elgin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Southwest Colorado
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR 4x4
    There isnt very common to find muddin places in colorado do i just run a semi aggressive AT and have been happy in all conditions, snow and rain. ive had goodyear wrangler silent armors and hankook dyna pros happy with both. I do really like the look of the MT's but sometimes not the most practicle tire here just my 2 cents.

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    centraltaco

centraltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Dub cab 4x4
    I lived in Castle Rock Colorado for 10 years and here is a run down on tires. This 10 years spanned 2 of my 3 Toyota trucks. A 93 x-cab 4x4 and a 04 DC SR5 4x4.

BFG AT KO's: Good in snow and hard pack roads and trails if you are going to do any wheeling in the foothills. Once you get into anything with water they loose all apeal to me. In this, either rain or wet trails while wheeling I would just asume to use street tires.

BFG MT's: Really good for wheeling but would slip more then others in the snow. You can get a little loose in light snow and icey road conditions.

The tire I had 5 sets of, and I don't nor ever did work for the company, are the Big 'O' Big Foot XT's. They give a quiet ride, compared to the BFG MT's, on the road and they are awesome in all conditions off road. They are also excellent in the snow and ice. have Big O sipe them. The will last longer and you will get slightly better traction in the snow. They also have a lifetime replacement. I got a big slash in one of mine one day up in the hills. I brought it in and since they couldnt fix it I got a beand new one, no charge. It was awesome.

Hope this help you out.

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    I love my MTZ's. A little loud on the roads but handles well on and off road. I think I am going to try to help out the mpg and quite the noise a little by going with a less agressive tire next time around. If you are going to do some offroading go MTZ. If you are only worried about the snow and ice on the roads go with the next step down like MT ATZ's or Nitto Trail grapplers, or the BFG AT'S.
    BTW: The MT MTZ's rated #1 in the latest Petersen's 4Wheel & Offroad Magazine for best 33" Mud-Terrain Tire.

7. Jun 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    cooper makes an incredible tire for the snow. I think it is the discoverer, runs like +$200 a piece but awesome for traction.

8. Jun 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    After the wheeling trip and seeing a bunch of tires, I say the Duratracks or what I have the Maxxis big horn MT's but with mine you will get a lot of road noise. Personally Micky Thompsons have never impressed me with a 4 wheeling tire I would stay away from them.

9. Jun 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    I have the BF Goodrich A/T KOs. They handle really well in deep snow, but I agree, they aren't good for anything that's wet. I can't say much for off roading though. But if I were you, I'd just sick with what I got til they are warn out, then change them to somethign else if you don't like them. Snow only sticks around for a few weeks at a time here, so you don't be continously dealing with it.

my $.02

10. Jun 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Deep snow, they are amazing. Ice, they slide alot. Mud, good but dont have experience with other tires in mud to compare. Dirt, they spin alot. Went wheeling a month back for the colorado mod/trail ride days and was disapointed by its performance. It grabs the rocks just fine but was horrible in the dirt. The tires are a little over half warn down which should be plenty of tread to perform. I am probably going with the Goodyear Duratrack next as they seemed to perform the best on the trail from other drivers.

For those visiting or moving to colorado, the snow in dever lasts a day and then the streets are dry the next day. Don't buy a tire based upon how well it will do in the snow unless you plan to visit the mountains alot during the winter.

11. Jun 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    eltaco

eltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    I realize this is an ancient thread, but still lots of useful information here.

I'm running BFGoodrich A/Ts once again, and it'd be tough to talk me into something else. I ran a set of ProComp M/Ts before these, and LOVED the look of them. Driving them on snow and ice was absolutely horrific, and I wouldn't suggest any mud-terrains to anyone that might encounter snow.

Thankfully, I grew up in ND where we deal with snow for half the year. I've learned to drive with snow and ice very well, so I didn't have anything that caused an accident... but if you haven't driven in a lot of snow, I'd recommend even stronger that you stay away from M/Ts in the mountains.

Products Discussed in

To Top