1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wicked Flow Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tacoma-uzi, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    tacoma-uzi

tacoma-uzi [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cypress,TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    none yet :( but hopefully soon
    I know people have asked about this before but none of them had the answer I am looking for. I live in Houston, Tx and looked just about everywhere for this but havent found it. I looked it up on the internet and the only places I found that sell it are in California. I didnt even find any online. Does anyone know where I can find one in Houston or at least on the internet?

For those who have never heard of this on a tacoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDDH4g2tVds

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    sounds sick...but i cant help you with any information

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Dude, I did my homework forever trying to track this down... I could not find one to save my life. I ended up landing on an Aero Turbine setup and am very pleased with the results. If you find one, great, but odds are very much against you because I couldn't find one anyway!

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    yep aero 2525 for the win ^^

5. Apr 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    centraltaco

centraltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Dub cab 4x4
    I had an Aero Turbine on my '04 DC TRD OF V6 and it sounded awesome. I am going to get one on my '10 DC TRD OF as soon as I can. Loved the way it sounded.

6. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
  7. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Subd. What is that video on, can't see it on my work comp.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw. Hot damn that is sexy

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    God damn!!!....that makes my FM Super44 sound like a bitch :anonymous:

"runs away crying"

9. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Here was my attempt to acquire that kind of sound... I am very happy with my sound, but I am glad HIKR found those Wicked Flows. I hung up a few mufflers and then bought an aero turbine off of the internet never having heard it. Best one out there IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qa1bii0Go

10. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    ramiroshelby

ramiroshelby Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramiro
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Would anyone know if he used the 2.5" or the 3" od for his set up.

11. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player

IIRC he said he used the "3" muffler"...which I took as 3" in and outputs. I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Our piping is 2.25" and most guys either do that or 2.5". Would 3" change the tone?? Is there even a converter for 2.25" to 3"?

12. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    just bought one of these right now

13. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    The guy definitely said 3" in and out. One of the commenters said he had the same exhaust...here's a video from his vault:

http://www.youtube.com/user/makerchris#p/a/u/2/JqUPoZ9VYUs

Sounds awesome to me. Here's what it sounds like from inside the cab:

http://www.youtube.com/user/makerchris#p/a/u/1/LZ7qm69DxVA

I sent him a msg asking if he just replaced the muffler, left the cats, if he's done anything else to the motor, etc. I'm thinking he just did a muffler, put a tip on, and has a K&N CAI (look at his other vid). I wish more have bought this muffler, but from what I've heard I love it. I'm also very impressed w/ their apparent build quality. The Wicked Flow tech said he's not familiar w/ using his mufflers for our 4.0L, but he recommended this model:

18SC224

For those that want to waste a few min's of their life, here is my email to the co. and their response:

Me:
    "We Tacoma owners have a hard time making our V6 have a nice throaty and deep sound w/o having a drone, and w/o having it sound raspy and/or ricey. There's one video floating out there of a Tacoma with only a Wicked Flow muffler on it (no headers, resonators apparently still there, and only a CAI noted), and it sounds awesome. Do you have any recommendations as to which of your mufflers would sound best for the 4.0L v6? The guy in the video said it's a 3" inlet muffler, but our stock piping is 2.25" and no one I know goes over 2.5" for inlet/outlet sizes. I know this is all subjective, but I wanted to contact you in case you guys are familiar with our particular engine and which of your mufflers work best with it. Thanks!"

Lorin Millsap's response:
    "I cannot say I am familiar with the engine in your trucks, but I am familiar with the situation you are talking about. The drone of most of these mufflers comes from the simple fact that they are not designed to be effective at absorbing sound. When I say they and these, I am reffering to the major brand names, Borla, Corsa, TRD, Magnaflow, Flowmaster. These mufflers have little sound absorbing materials, or they have other design features to make the muffler louder, and this creates the drone.

The WickedFlows are different. They may seem like they are built the same way as the others (straight through perforated tube), but the similarities end there. They use much higher quality steel, where the metal itself cancels out some of the noise, and the packing material is designed to hold up under even the most stressful conditions. We do not use rockwool as a packing because its fine fibers break down over time. Basically, when our muffler was designed, we asked what was the harshest conditions these could encounter and will it hold up to that.

My personal vehicle is a 1994 Ford Aerostar 4.0L. Here you have a meaty sounding V6, in a van that has a larger interior that would tend to resonate. I know from experience that these vans have a terrible drone with Flowmaster 50 series and Magnaflow. I run our 18" WickedFlow with 2.25" pipe and it has no drone at all. It can still produce all the sound I need when I want it to, but at cruise the system goes quiet.

So while I cannot say with complete certainty how it will sound on your vehicle, my experience has been that these are among the quietest smoothest sounding mufflers.

The one I would recommend is the 18SC224. That sticks with your stock size, is capable of producing a descent amount of sound, but is not overly loud and should compliment the vehicle overall."

14. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Which exact one did you get? You'll have to post a sound clip after your install.

15. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    got the 17" one that center in offset out 2.5 inch tube

16. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    07taco

07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 taco trd dclb
    I have one of these mufflers on my truck and i have to say i am very pleased. Its not too loud and you can only tell its there when you step on it :D. Ive had it for about 1 1/2 years. I will try to get a video of mine. I just had them cut out old muffler put the wicked flow and dumped after axle.

17. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    I did the 13" can. Lorin was awesome to deal with

18. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    Please do post a video...I think I'll end up getting the same one that Johnw got (17.5" with 2.5" in/outs). If you can post which muffler you went with that would be great.

19. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    From what I read the 13" is louder...any audio clips!?

20. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Don't have it yet, but I'll get em up as soon as it's on the truck

Products Discussed in

To Top