1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear ended someone and need some help...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AlexForbesR6, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    there is no fraud here. do you know anything about insurance claims?

anyways, to the OP, you can either have a shop fix it, or you can take the check and spend it anyway you want. alot of shops will let you replace with non stock parts, as long as you pay the difference.

however, if there is a lien holder, your insurance company may request that the check is made out to a shop.

personally, i like to pocket the cash. :D i've recouped 18% of my purchase price this way. no fraud involved.

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    sort of. the point of insurance is to make you whole. how you choose to spend that money is complety up to you.

there is nothing illegal or non moral of taking an insurance check and buying an upgraded bumper or paying down debt.

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 [OP] My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    thanks for all the help...i talked to the ins claims person today and basically i think i will try find a shop that will work with me in getting an aftermarket bumper and foot the difference and get the rest fixed...i wont be able to fix it all since i have a high deductible and it was my fault by the books

4. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I am sorry to hear that happened, looks like you are going to be able to get your truck fixed the way you want. Glad you were not on your bike & are ok. Yes it happens in a sec. :(

5. Apr 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i talkedto an ins adjuster today about a wreck that happened inn january and they are just gonna give me a check, they essentially said i can spend it on strippers and booze for all they care (not in that manner though) long as they pay me the amount to get back to OEM

6. Apr 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Driving home the point of being careful when you get aftermarket weapons - oops I meant bumper.

Bumper - 1, Mini Van - 0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be sure to remember it's 'loaded!'

7. Apr 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    If you own the truck with no lien holder most insurance company will write the check to you and you can do what ever you want with it.

8. Apr 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    21' Tundra Platinum & 08' TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's w/front's set at 1.75", TRD exhaust, Colormatched grill, Illuminated 4wd selector switch, BAMF Bolt on Sliders w/kickout.
    I was rearended many years ago, It only cracked the bumper cover and dented my license plate. The ladies insurance came out and estimated the damage and cut the check to me for the amount of their estimate using their body shop software. Told me if that didn't cover it all to give them a call and they would send me more. I never had the car fixed, used the almost 1k to pay off the car...drove it another four years and sold it without ever fixing the car. So it is possible, but in your case the damage sounds much more severe. I would get the truck fixed right.

I had something very similar happen a few years ago. Lady started moving forward turning right, she goes, I look left to see if it clear, while the car is ever so slowly rolling forward, car stops moving all of the sudden, I slowly turn to look and the lady had stopped halfway around the corner and I had rolled in to the back of her. When she pulled forward to take off my car lurched a little bit as the bumpers seperated. I hit her so lightly I don't think she even knew...I was fully prepared to pull over behind her as I thought she would complete the turn and stop. She never did, she just kept on her merry way, completely oblivious to what had just happened. I was okay with that! lol

9. Apr 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Yea they are terrible .... I hear that they keep rear ending people in Houston :mad:

hehe :D

10. Apr 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    First of all the check you got will probably not be enough to fix your truck. They do that to cut cost from people that spend the money instead of getting it fixed. Many times they base the estimate on VISUAL damage.

I had only 2500 miles on my 2010 and was hit on the back left side. I had the bid from a reputable repair shot and the mandatory bid from the other guy's insurance. They were very quick to send me a check for $965 in hopes I would cash it and bind my contract. In the end the actual cost was $1,917. I finally got the insurance company to pay for the repair from the place I wanted and not their's.

Also it's a total ripoff but insurance companies are doing their best to use non-OEM parts in the repair. I had to fight to get a real Toyota bumper and not a Chinese POS. I threatened arbitration. If you have over 30,000 miles you would probably lose and get non-OEM parts.

Call your dealer and ask who they would use if someone creamed a vehicle on their lot. Get a bid from them. Also find a place that fixes Ferraries and Porches on a regular basis. They are good and will give you a bid to fix it right. In my case the dealer recommended and the high end car place were the same repair shop. They did a fantastic fix job with real OEM parts.

Good luck.

11. Apr 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Have to be careful with that too... Something similar happened to a buddy of my Dad's who rear-ended a guy. The guy got out, looked at very the minor bumper damage, and said "don't worry about it, it's not worth fixing", and took off (it was a rusted up old car). He couldn't believe it a few days later when he found out he was being charged with a hit 'n run. I'm always certain to get the other guys info now, regardless of who's at fault or how much damage there is, just so they can't come back and claim that I didn't stop.

12. Apr 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp

this is exactly what im looking for...

13. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    Thanks...its wieird too cause i almost got ran off the road earlier that day when i was on my bike...i had been in my lane for a couple of miles and the lady next to me who had been going to same speed as me the whole timd\e decides she wants to be in my lane...RIGHT WHERE I AM!!!:eek::mad: so i had to slam on my brakes to avoid her running right into me as she switched lanes...i should have taken that for a sign to stay at home that day..

14. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd

WOW...that minivan got BUSTED UP!!! and all that looks wrong with the 4runner is one of the fog lights is crooked...tats nuts...was it you in the 4runner?

15. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    regcab4x4

regcab4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4
    eff insurance companies... i had my car slammed from behind and instead of totaling it out they half ass straightened the frame and slapped on USED parts on it as per their policy. the car was never the same, later when I (not the body shop appointed by the ins co) realized that I had been hit so hard from behind that it actually moved the engine forward, breaking my radiator off the mounts they refused to fix it... said they couldn't prove it was from the collision. so all those expensive insurance payments we make as responsible drivers get you very little in return. They make plenty of money off us all.
    get the money and do what you want with it

16. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    No but I was involved in an accident with mine and the other guy... well - went off the side of a mountain!!! :eek: Me - had to touch up my bumper! :)

17. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Lol @ Paul. I remember that.

18. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    in missouri, i know for a fact you can get the stereo and wheels you want. 1factory wheel=$440 for my car, just told adjuster to give me the money for aftermarket and he did. had aftermarket head unit stolen, replacemant value of stock head unit is what i got in a check. would not cover sub beings it wasn't "part of the vehicle". so i don't see if you tell the adjuster up front why he wouldn't give you the money up front as long as you proved it was fixed. or pay up front and turn in your reciept.

19. Apr 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    this is correct. I've done this at least twice when my wife had had minor damage from other people hitting her. Once I took the $ and fixed it myself, the other time just waited and had it done at a later date when the car was in the shop for hail damage. Both times pocketed about half the $.

20. Apr 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Was the other person's insurance company the same? With Allstate, if you hit another driver with Allstate insurance, the deductable is waived.

Products Discussed in

To Top