1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Extended Warrenty & New 2010 Tacoma 4x4

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ricoman1, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Nov 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    ricoman1

ricoman1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GEORGE
    CHEHALIS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Hi all,
    My first Toyota Truck and post to te group..so,ahve several questions....
    Most important is: HAS anyone had any experience with the EXTENDED TOYOTA WARRENTY offered by the dealers...the NO USE..NO COST one..offered at the high pressure ending pf your purchase...??? Was offered at a discount fro 3700+ to 2400.00 because I was a repeat customer....Any experiences with it???
    Next...since as most Know...dealers cant be trusted..but thats another blog..hahaah....I just bought a 2010 Tacoma 4x4 OFF Road Package/ 6 CD / Towing Package for $300 over invoice.... 29,167.....did the dealer get me or did I get a great deal as most said.. 6.2 finance and a very good deal,as I see it on the trade in of my 2005 Ford Ranger...
    Help..did I get screwed..or should I be jumping for joy>>!! PS..the dealer is one of my "accounts" so as they said..they were giving me the employee discount on warentty and MFSR Invoice price...
    Sorry to be so long winded...but should I be happy...hahahaha???
    Ricoman
    Personal email for direct replies ricoman@tds.net

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    I Just bought a tacoma pre runner double cab with off road package today. I also bought extended warranty for 7years/100k miles. cost was $2550. It has a $25 deductible and its called "Portfolio Elite Protection Plan" and coverage type was "Plan B. Exclusionary Coverage"

Is that the same coverage that you got? can you please check and let me know. I am here in central valley, CA.

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    ricoman1

ricoman1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GEORGE
    CHEHALIS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Hi,
    Sorry to say,but if you paid $2500 for it you really got the shaft,as I did..But I was lucky enough to go back the next day and cancel it.They charged me the same amount,and after about 30 minute search on web,found info and dealers selling same exact warranty for $795 ... Its the same one offered thru Toyota Dealers!! I also learned that you had 60 days to cancel it,so I would suggest you do it and then buy thru another dealer...you do NOT have to buy from the dealer you bought the truck.
    I dont have the info in front of me,but if you email me direct,I'll send you the link to the dealers.Also you might want to check out www.toyotanation.com lots of great info and how I found out I was screwed...you can search that site under extended warranty and can get info also.
    Hope that helps you,
    George

4. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    JUJtacoma2010

JUJtacoma2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 Dbl Cab. OFF Road Package
    I appreciate this so much. I went back to the dealer and ask them to cancel that warranty. and they did. Now they are worried about the feedback I will give me and I told them that I will be honest with it. :)

Please send me the information about where you got your warranty from. sorry I dont know how to email you direct.

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Hi and welcome to the forums...

There are a couple things you need to know about the warranty. First you don't have to buy it right now, and second you can shop around for it.

What I mean by not buying it now, means you have 3 years or 36K miles to get the warranty, because you truck already has the original bumper to bumper warranty for that long. I would wait a year or two if you put regular miles on your truck. If however, you put a lot of miles on the truck fast just be sure to get the warranty before the 36k.

Now you can shop around for the warranty, as any Toyota dealer in the nation can get you the Toyota platinum warranty. With that being said, I would suggest that you look around to other dealers and start price matching when you think you're ready to buy. Get quotes and start the bidding war for your money. If you get one price lower than the rest, call the others back let them compete for your business. If you get one in the ball park of $800-1000 for the platinum warranty (there are different levels of service so make sure you know what they are what they cover) that would be a good deal. Anything lower that $800 for the platinum is a steal IMO.

Again welcome to the forums and enjoy the new truck :)

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    ricoman1

ricoman1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GEORGE
    CHEHALIS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Hi JUJtacoma2010,
    Below are 3 of the best and cheapest dealers I found...Between these 3,you shoul ge a killer deal,just call them and ask them to email you some info.At this point,I have decided against it,since at best I would only put around 50K in about 7 years.Might go for it in a couple years,but hve had truck since Nov.09 and still only have 1500 miles on it...since I do have a work truck and a personal car also...
    Here is the info:
    Toyota of Greenfield
    1 Main Street
    Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)

Phone - (413) 772-0989 (My direct line).
    Fax - (413) 774-2247

Hello George,
    This is Jerry Johnson with Midwest Toyota
    Thank you for your request on the Toyota Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty on your 2010 Tamoma 4x4
    The price on the 7 year 100,000 miles is $889.00
    Please give me a call at 800-530-5789 or my cell 620-664-8844
    I will need your Vin Number ,miles and date of Purchase
    Thank you
    Jerry Johnson

Theresa V. Von Jess
    978-431-5869
    theresa.vonjess@actontoyota.com

7. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    hawkislanding

hawkislanding Active Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    *4.0 v6 TRD Super Charger *TRD Cat Back Exhaust *Black Leather non perforated seats *16" FJ Cruiser Silver TRD rims *265/75/16 BFG TA KO's *Weather Tech liners *Front window tint *AA Maglite mod in center counsel *DD Maglite mod on driver's side seat *Pop locks on bed storage boxes
    Now this is the kind of info I like! San Francisco dealer wants F'ing $2600. I'm going to look into this one and through in their face. Thanks gang!

8. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    ricoman1

ricoman1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GEORGE
    CHEHALIS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Glad the info helped.This group sure has helped me.All I can say is everyone I talked to in this group and in real world said: DONT BUY IT.Even at the lower price.99.9% of the Toyota trucks are built to last and you will not use the warrenty.
    Even at the lower under 1000 price,I decided against it.And at the 2600 price,sounds like your dealer and mine are real crooks..!!
    George

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    hawkislanding

hawkislanding Active Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    *4.0 v6 TRD Super Charger *TRD Cat Back Exhaust *Black Leather non perforated seats *16" FJ Cruiser Silver TRD rims *265/75/16 BFG TA KO's *Weather Tech liners *Front window tint *AA Maglite mod in center counsel *DD Maglite mod on driver's side seat *Pop locks on bed storage boxes
    George-
    Thanks for the input. I asked my dealer the following:

I have been shopping around for an extended warranty plan and this is the quote I received with Bob Moran's Action Toyota of Littelton. San Francisco Dealer quoted me $2600+.

Can you explain why there is such a huge discrepancy between prices?

Plan details
    Plan Type
    Platinum
    Coverage Terms
    7YR/100K
    Deductible
    $ 0.00
    MSRP
    $1,650.00
    Savings
    $561.00
    e-Price (You Pay)
    $1,089.00

Here is the email that I received directly from SF Toyota.

First of all, I believe this company is out of the State of California. They are not supposed to be selling into the State of California due to regulatory requirements, and it is my understanding that Toyota has, and is, taking action to stop them from selling into California. Our agreement application specifically states for “California only”!

Secondly, I quoted you for an 8-year or 125,000-mile plan, with the supercharger included…not the 7-year of 100,000-mile plan.

When your truck comes in, we’ll be more than happy to work with you.

Let the bidding war begin!

10. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    I will wait to decide but thanks for all the great info!!

11. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    sp0di

sp0di Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    10 DC OR
    I had a pretty weird one. I think I got a good deal.

They lowered my APR .75% if I took the warranty and it increased my monthly payment by only $3.00/month. For $3.00 more a month, I took it and did not even consult the Account and Finance department at home.

Mine though was a 8yr/100000mile one though. It is national, so any Toyota dealer and no co-pay. They offered a whole menu type think with all the different warrantys on it, even one for lost keys! I found that one funny and told the guy - ahh, no... to that one...

12. Apr 16, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    Tactical Me

Tactical Me Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Severn, Md
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access Cab
    Allpro Offroad Bumper, TSB Leaf Springs, Toytec Ultimate Kit, Total Chaos UCA, Weathertech Digi-tech
    George,

They got you on price man. The easiest way to beat a good deal out of a salesman is online. You don't have to go in and spend hours anymore. Pit all the local dealers against themselves and go with the lowest bidder. I don't feel right telling you what I paid. Better luck next time!

13. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    SCOTT'S TACO LOCO

SCOTT'S TACO LOCO Orange It.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Antonio, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Toy-yo-duh TACO TRD
  14. Apr 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Depends on how you felt about the deal. Bought my 2010 Dbl Cab Sport 4x in November. MSRP was in the 34 K range. Paid 30,300.00 for mine and also got the warranty for something like 2200.00. Also, interest rate was 3.6%.
    I didn't have a trade though so I was able to bargain just a bit more. I initially used my Costco membership to get a firm price. Then I worked 2 dealerships in my immediate area. One said they weren't part of the costco plan but could beat the price. I went back to the original dealer and he in turn beat the Costco price he had already offered. I bought from them.

If your happy then don't sweat the small stuff. Ken

15. May 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    kraemoser

kraemoser Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerry
    Eastern Washington ~ North Central Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    i just purchased a 2010 tacoma trd on the 10th.. found this forum searching for info on if i really needed the ext warranty.. i mean,, it's a toyota !

so glad i found this forum.. they sold me the warranty for $1975, which i will be canceling today...

16. May 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I wouldn't... based on my past two Tacomas...

My 2005 had 102,000 miles on it in less than 5 years and the only non-warantee cost to me was the wire harness/ air bag light issue... about $300.

My 2001 had 136,000 miles on it in less than 5 years and the only thing I paid for that was non warantee was to replace the water pump at 90,000 miles during the timing belt change, because it had a drip (didn't fail)... like a hundred bucks.

17. May 18, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    kraemoser

kraemoser Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerry
    Eastern Washington ~ North Central Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I will buy the ext warranty from midwest toyota for the 889, they are asking..

Products Discussed in

To Top