1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Gun Advice

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Death_Stalker, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Apr 17, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Bellvis

Bellvis Dungeon Master

Member:
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White TRD Taco
    Springfield Armory XD9!!!

Favorite handgun to shoot and you get a whole package (extra mags, case, speed loader) with the XD9!

I will post pics of mine later.

2. Apr 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    x2

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:

I would say none of these. I would go with the small glock, or subcompact xd. In my experience with Taurus, I have seen many of them jam up while firing. While I was taking my concealed shooting test, someone had a really nice looking Taurus, and couldn't get a single shot through it.
    Just my opinion. I threw around glock, and xd. I went with xd.

4. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    gustorecoil

gustorecoil Member

Member:
    At work we always go shooting on Friday and beer. The Springfield XD everyone has one or two for home and carry. I say get a XD just my opinion, the people I know prefer over the Glock.. Also what ever you get for yourself get it with night sight on it! Night sight are must for carry specially in low level lighting.

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    oh...and OP

go to a few gun stores...not just 1...but several...hold every different gun that you fancy...feel it up a little bit...

use grip and feel to narrow down your search...then of the ones you still fancy...find a range that rents guns and go shoot them...then do it again...

THEN decide which one you should purchase

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    That would be my recomendation as well. XD9 or Glock19 should serve you well.

7. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    Another recommending that you go Glock 19 or XD9. Not a fan of the S&W Sigma series.

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Bellvis

Bellvis Dungeon Master

Member:
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White TRD Taco
    Springfield Armory XD9 and target ammo......

IMG_1410_abf27dd304294e02961e6c383dfce82304868d25.jpg

IMG_1395-1_d112fbe346c8efbf5dd831c7f184bcb8dc8c2282.jpg

9. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    If you want a small cc pistol the Ruger lcp 380 auto is sweet. Not much bigger than my cell phone :D

10. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Ruger is the girl you really want to like but she stabbed you in the back with a pitchfork.

11. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Just for the sake of argument-
    If it's too dark to see your sights and your target is far enough away to require precision--------
    why are you shooting?

Yes, I have night sights on my carry guns, but I don't expect to use them if it comes down to a reasonable shooting situation.

12. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2!
    Haters... :D

13. Apr 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    doakes

doakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Take a look at Kel-tec. American made, and simple. Approx $200.00, same dimensions as PPK. I put a $7.00 belt clip on it. They come in most calibers as well. Mine is .40.

14. Apr 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    diggerbuzz

diggerbuzz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    buzz
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD SR5
    TRD exhaust tip , toyota bed mat , uws low pro tool box , wet oke seat covers front & rear
    I have a walther p22 and it is a nice hand gun. no complaints here. I also have a Hipoint 9mm not a bad gun either. I like the p22 its small light and looks awesome ,it shoots nice and priced right. If the odds of u shooting someone r high then go bigger. I bought the p22 so my wife could use it while im out of town. We also have 2 english mastiffs for protection though, not much worry in our house.

15. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    since you want to argue :D

i have night sights on both my duty weapon and my off duty weapon

i find the night sights much easier to acquire in lowlight situations...not dark mind you...just low light...

16. Apr 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    No matter what you get, as long as its a name brand, it'll work good for you if you take care of it, so dont necessarily go for a brand just because a friend likes it.

After you get a few guns, you'll have a better idea of what works best for you and you can go off of recommendations, but until then, treat a gun like buying a car... test drive first.

A bad experience can be a complete turn off, while a good experience is just the opposite. I dont know what its like in TX, but a few ranges here will rent guns. If you can go while its not busy (non-weekends), you might be able to get some one-on-one with someone to make sure you're being safe.

Also, dont be afraid to check out regular shooting ranges as well. Around here, most people will let you shoot a few rounds of their gun if you explain that you're new to guns and dont know what you want yet. Talk with the range master about it as well, as he'll know the regulars that will be the most friendly towards showing off what they have. But again, dont do it on an overly busy day since the range master's job is to keep the range safe. Most gun people understand the more people we can get hooked on shooting, the better chances we have of keeping our rights.

So, thats my whole spill on it. Fire a bunch of different guns and figure out what feels good to you. Also, since you dont want a revolver, I'd suggest sticking to one of the common 3 calibers (9mm, 40s&w, 45acp for semi-autos). And always remember that if its not something that feels just right, there's ten thousand other guns out that which I'm sure a few will.

Oh, and just to add to the night sights thing... flashlight > night sights. See rule #2, #3, and #4 (http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html). If its dark, there's no possible way you can be 100% sure of your target so a firearm should never be in the equation at that point. Granted there's a 30ish min window twice a day that is not dark enough for a light, but too dark for white dots, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with a light before night sights. Definitely need some type of offset colored indicator though, as the solid sights are pretty useless for any type of defense.

17. Apr 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.

x2

Just make sure you use good quality ammo. I would recommend loading it with Gold Dot ammo for home protection. It has great expansion and reliability. It is used by many different law enforcement agencies.

18. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    JESSMAN

JESSMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    ARB BUMPER WARN M 8000 LIGHT FORCE LIGHTS Bill 5100 DOWNY FRONT LIFT RANCHO OLD MAN E REAR and JERRY CAN IN THE BED
    Glock and Roll!!! :DGlock in 9mm!!!! Glock 17 is full size,19 mid size or baby Glock 26 all are 9 mm!!! Glock make the best hand gun !!!! get on you tube and check out all guns you may want buy!! I love Glock because of the amount of lube!!! Glocks need just 5 little drops of lube to function!!! and so many other options!! all Glock 9mm can take a Glock 33rd Mag!!! Sweet!!!!!:D
    I have Glock 19 and 26 9mm!!

19. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:06 AM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    Man that is a lot of exclamation marks. 34 to be exact.

20. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    I would suggest that you take a trip to the range with a friend or co-worker that shoots alot. No disrespect, but if you don't know much about guns, then you need someone to teach you the stuff that you won't learn reading this board.

You also need to test your tolerance for recoil. Some guys want to be macho and carry guns that they can't reasonably manage.

Go to a gun range that rents guns and test fire before you buy. There is a lot of difference between a full size 9mm and a sub-compact 10mm. After shooting you may realize that you like a full size gun better than a little bitty one.

When I was younger I wanted semi-autos, but as I learned more and more about guns I realized the beauty of a revolver, especially for a new shooter.

Products Discussed in

To Top