1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire & Wheel Tips: Simple tips to get the most out of your new look.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by genxer36, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 [OP] Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Found this article in my local Toyota dealer newsletter.

Great info about tire sizing.

Going Big with Tires and Wheels

[FONT=verdana,arial] Simple tips to get the most out of your new look. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial] One of the most popular upgrades to make to any car or truck is to install larger wheels and tires. Not only do bigger wheels help update an older car, giving it a more modern look, but they also allow for a wider range of style choices when it comes time to decide on a specific wheel. Larger wheels also offer the opportunity to install wider, lower-profile tires, which can have a positive impact on the handling of a vehicle.

Of course, when looking to install a larger wheel and tire package on your vehicle, there are a number of different factors to consider to help you select an option that gives you both the look and the ride quality that you are looking for. There are a few key concepts you should keep in mind when shopping for a new set of wheels and tires, to make sure that you end up completely happy with your purchase.[​IMG]

One of the most important things to consider is that the overall diameter of your wheels and tires together plays an important role in how your car drives. At the factory, your vehicle’s suspension system was calibrated to function at its peak performance with the stock overall diameter that it rolled off the assembly line with. In addition, the vehicle’s speedometer, and in some cases transmission and ABS systems, rely on calculations that are based on this diameter value. Finally, going with very large wheels can have an impact on the gear ratio in your driveline, potentially slowing down your vehicle’s acceleration.

If you change the overall diameter of your wheels and tires, you might find that your car or truck’s speedometer no longer offers an accurate reading. You also might notice some odd characteristics during cornering, braking or when moving over rough road. At the most extreme, your automobile might feel a bit sluggish off the line compared to how it drove with the original wheels and tires.

Fortunately, there is a very easy system that can be used in order to upsize your wheels and tires and still maintain the original – or very close to the original – overall diameter. Called Plus Sizing, it involves matching your tires to a larger rim in such a way that the original diameter specifications are not significantly altered, if at all. The root of plus sizing can be traced to the sidewall height of a tire. If you look at the sidewall of a typical vehicle, you will most likely notice that there are several inches of rubber between the rim of the wheel and the start of the tire’s tread. This is especially true on vehicles with wheels between the sizes of 15 and 17 inches. Plus sizing involves subtracting an inch or two from this sidewall in order to maintain the proper diameter when using larger wheels. This is possible thanks to the advent of low-profile rubber, which has made it much easier to produce tires that remain strong despite having narrower sidewalls.

To give an example of how someone could move from a 15-inch wheel to an 18-inch wheel without sacrificing the overall diameter of the tire and wheel package, let’s take a look at a few details. A tire with a size of 195/65/R15 – that is to say, a 15-inch wheel with a section width (tread) of 195 millimeters and a sidewall that is 65 percent of that, or 126.75 millimeters – has an overall diameter of 634.49 millimeters once you add the wheel and tire together. If you were to go to an 18-inch wheel, you would have to subtract that extra 3 inches or so from the sidewall of the tire.

Since tires use metric measurements, converting those 3 inches to millimeters would mean a need to reduce the sidewall by a height of around 76.2 millimeters divided by two – since the sidewall adds height at both the top and the bottom of the tire and wheel package. A tire with a size of 205/45/R18 would do this quite nicely, giving us an overall diameter of 641.6 millimeters – well within the recommended three percent safety margin when moving up in tire size.

This simple formula should have you swapping in a new set of tires and wheels that will not only look great, but will also allow you to maintain the same standard of braking, handling and accelerating that you have come to expect from your car.
    [/FONT]

Dream Weaver and Fivves808 like this.
  2. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    Stoy

Stoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stoy
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5 V6
    None yet!
    It was very informative

Thanks

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Eagledynasty

Eagledynasty The White Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Worcester, MassHole
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White DoubleCab Off-Road
    2009 SWDC O/R. Check Build!
    Nice article thanks

4. Apr 4, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    while

while Member

Member:
    It was very informative.[​IMG]

5. Apr 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    aaroness

aaroness Member

Member:
    yes .:D[​IMG]

6. Oct 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    rustynailz

rustynailz Active Member

Member:
    thunder bay ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab lg bd
    hey i just ordered bilstein 5100 and i was wondering if any one could help my with the wheels and tires. i was looking at goodyear duratracs LT285/75R16 E, and dick cepek dc-2 16/8. the wheels have 4.06 bs, do you think i will have any problems with rubbing or not fitting right? should i only go 4.5 bs? i want to stick with the duratracs, i have them now and i really like them..... thanx

7. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    this wheel/tire thing is confusing to me. I want to get a nice set of wheels, beadlock style, that my stock tires fit on. How do I determine what specifics to look for? I think my tires are 265/75/r16 but not sure. It is a 2015 Taco PreRunner SR5 dcsb

8. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    Go to Tire Rack. Com and punch in your vehicle information and then click the wheel tab and look at all the available wheels that will fit with no work. You can also buy the FJ Team Trail beadlock style wheels in your size, that way you know they will fit and work.

9. Sep 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6

Thanks

10. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    TacoJack76

TacoJack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Panama City Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    3" leveling Kit
    I have a 2005 Taco reg cab with 3" leveling kit and the stock 16/6 steel wheels.
    Does anyone know if I will be able to fit 285/75/16 on these wheels. If anyone is running this setup do you have pics. Thanks

11. Jul 2, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    Sotelofam805

Sotelofam805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR54x4 Longbed
    In the works
    Greata Info thank fr posting...Discount Tire also has this info on there website

12. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    MJ-12

MJ-12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tee
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited 4x4 Mag Grey
    Stock
    Good Stuff, thanks

Products Discussed in