1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to hook up center brake light from topper

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ywen, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought a topper with a high mounted brake light. The cap has a wire that has this type of connector at the end..

[​IMG]

What else do I need to do to connect the topper brake light to my truck? Thanks.

2. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    hmmmm....mine had a two conductor connector

I got a kit from a local shop that sells toppers. Find a local dealer and they can either show you what kit to buy and they'll probably install it for you

3. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    ywen

Member:
    I wonder if the Tacoma has a reserve wire dedicated for hooking up to a trailer. If so, mine is probably not being used right now and then I can splice that into a connector which will then connect to the plug shown above. Is this right?

4. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    If that connector is wired up for it, then maybe you could hook it up to your trailer wiring harness, but it's hard to say. It really depends on if you have a trailer harness. I don't know if any tacos came with the 4-pin harness from the factory.

5. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Ok I think this is what I need right? The two square connectors will connect the factory wire to the rear light assembly. And then the 4 way connector will connect to the 4 way that's already on my cap's wire. Make sense?

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/75A3875A0A0.aspx

[​IMG]

6. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    I just got a used shell also, I went to a hitch co.and they helped me, it just a 4 prong connector{what he called it} ,you need the other side.Mine had a dome light as well so two of the wires were grounds and the others were the high mount brake light and the dome light. Pull your brake light you can ground the wires behind in there then you splice into the brake light I believe it was the upper wire on the brake light,I decided to run a wire w/ fuse up to the battery for the dome light,so i can turn it on any time.I dont know if this helps at all ,if you want I can take some pics of it tomorrow to show wires and such or like afd23a said any dealer will help you or do it for you, I was quoted 50 to 65 bucks but did it myself with their help.

7. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    ywen

Member:
    goride: thanks for the pics.. did you use any T connector like the pic above?

8. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    That connector looks pretty sweet and easy. I went to cap dealer and they were less than pleasant so I dont know what there connector looked like,so I went to the hitch guys and they guilded me but the guy I bought the shell from had it hooked up like I do and it was only the 4 way connector with the wires, feed the wires thru a crack inside the bed to the trucks brake light compartment and spliced in the brake light wire.I will go take pics

9. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Here are some pics. The white and green were grounds on mine and the yellow was the brake light and the brown was the dome light.If you have a tester you can tell which is which on yours.good luck

IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg

10. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:48 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

ywen,
    That connector is the same type that I used on my Tacoma. Makes a nice and clean job plus if you ever tow a trailer you are good to go.

11. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    ywen

Member:
    Cool so one of the square connector hooks into the connector you pull out from the rear light assembly and the other square connector goes back into the light assbly? Then the 4 way plug will just plug into the cap?

12. Apr 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Yea I kinda wish I would have gotten that adapter instead of the way i did it,but its done and it works

13. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Yep, that about all you have to do. Just follow the instructions that come with it. No wire cutting. Just unplug if you remove the topper. I forget the brand name, it was about eight years ago when I installed it.

Products Discussed in

To Top