1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To lift or not to lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by raycie, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Just curious what people will say..

Recently changed tires on stock 17" rims to the 265/70/17. Definitely the way to go.. Made a huge improvement to the stock pre-runner sport appearance.

Again, wanting to be a little different that the other million or so tacomas in hawaii, am thinking of doing a small lift.. The plan would be to do 5100s in the front (set at 1.5) and an aal in the rear. Truck was non-tsb rear, and too many miles even if it was. With the camper on the bed, rear is about 3/4" higher than the front.

I know that this is a "wimpy" lift by some mindsets.. I know this will not "improve" much of anything, but did decide on the aal rather than a block to improve towing and hauling ability, and the 5100s rather than a spacer for the improved and adjustable shock. I will not be doing a bunch of offroading with this (had some fun with my old '99), again, basically will be doing it for the look..

Waste of $$?? Shops are quoting between 800-1000 (including alignment) for 5100s in the front and aal in the rear.. before you comment on how much it is.. remember we have "hawaii" prices over here..

CIMG0023.jpg

2. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    Sounds good but do the work yourself if you can, it's really not that hard and will save your about $600

3. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Just ordered the same exact setup your looking at lol.

5100's came today, and 2" AAL's come tuesday next week.

5100's = $282
    AAL's = $80
    Ubolts = $40

$400 parts

Idk labor because I'm going to try to do it myself with some help.

4. Apr 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

TSB - free
    5100 - 199
    Duratrac's - 700

Fully Off-Road capable for less than 900 bucks
    Not looking to rock crawl or anything, so for me - perfect
    And you should see this thing handle in the snow!

5. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    subhunter

subhunter Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma double cab
    The dealership here installs the ready lift kits on the tacomas. 2.75" in the front and 1" in the rear. the kit is $306. I just bought one for my TRD sport, just need to put it on the truck and see if I can fit 285/70/17's on my factory rims.

6. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    do the lift you will love it:D

7. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Really thought I would hear more people who would be in the "don't waste your $$" camp..

Looking at some others prices, I guess hawaii isn't that much more.. shop will be charging about 4 bills for the install.. I'm not sure I would trust myself doing the 5100s and the aal..

Looking for the "easiest" way to get my wife on-board.. do you think she will go for "honey regular maint. says that I have to replace shocks at 45,00 miles" lol...

Just one more consideration is that we may sell the wife's Murano soon. If the truck is our only vehicle for a while, even a small lift may inhibit access to some garages in town/Waikiki..

It will get done.. hopefully soon..

8. Apr 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    I went with the 3" Ultimate kit from Toytec and love it. The lift is not too big and you can fit 285's pretty easily. Great ride and looks awesome. I would highly recommend getting new upper control arms with any kit because many have had alignment issues on the stock UCA's after a lift. I went with the Light Racing UCA's and they are great; can get a set for around $450.

I have had the spacer lifts in the past and I didn't really want to go that route again. IMO the coilover lifts look better and keep the factory ride, but are a little more money. There are no spring compressors to mess with, the Coilovers are Direct Bolt On, and I didn't even need to adjust the ride height after install because the coils were fully assembled and set prior to installation...simple. I did the lift and UCA's myself, but I would recommend a friend to give you a hand.

[​IMG]

9. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    bevans

bevans Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA

Nice. What did you set your 5100's at? How much lift did TSB give you.

Products Discussed in

To Top