1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tucson, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Apr 24, 2010 at 1:13 AM
    Tucson

Tucson [OP] Member

Member:
    I've posted in Audio/Video with no luck, Has anyone out there attempted to add steering wheel audio controls to their base truck? I've found the switches, new steering pad cover (no airbag), and instructions on how to do it, although I haven't seen anyone do it on a tacoma. . . . .

Instructions:
    http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=276&highlight=ausio+mute

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170449730653

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180463987506

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170453845880

steeringwheelhornpadairbagcover004.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Any update on this project? I'm looking to do the same.

3. Aug 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    shredtacoma

shredtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Debadged with snugtop
    Camburg lift, ProComp rims, Nitto Terragrappler tires, snugtop, Flowmaster exhaust and Airraid intake
    is it possible and where do u get the parts

4. Aug 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Tucson

Tucson [OP] Member

Member:
    I haven't tried it yet, still pretty scared to go cutting through my steering wheel pad. If anyone out there knows an alternative to getting around the expensive airbag and cover, then im all ears.

5. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    It can be done, heck anything can be done but i wouldn't mess around with airbags, best to leave that part to a pro who knows their shit. Just my .02

6. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2

knowing my luck the damn thing would probably go off right in my face and break my nose :laugh:

Wait...that didn't sound right :anonymous:

7. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I know the controls can be found on e-bay or at a local salvage yard. Following the first link provided in this thread's first post, I feel pretty confident disconnecting the airbag and trimming as needed. Also, the controls simply plug-and-play in the steering wheel.

The biggest hurdle is determining what wiring needs to be run between the steering wheel and the radio. Is the truck already plumbed with it? A comparison between the wiring diagrams of the base model HU and the 6-disc HU is a must, but me staring at wiring diagrams is like a pig staring at a wrist watch. Any smart engineer-types out there know this stuff?

8. Aug 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    :jerkoff:

9. Sep 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    mknipp

mknipp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Old thread, same question. Anyone ever add steering wheel controls to their truck?

10. Sep 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not likely to be practical.

In addition to the new airbag/pad, you're also going to need a new spiral cable, and likely the harness that runs down the column from the spiral cable.

Then the issue of tying it into the head unit.

11. Aug 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    Corotaco

Corotaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco-access
    Cruise Control
    I have a 2010 ACSB tacoma. I am gonna rip into my steering wheel area tonight and see if it is just a plug and play add on like the cruise control... sometimes these options exist in the wire loom but are not plugged in. That is the way for the fog lights...just need a relay, switch and the lights and all the wiring exists in the loom. But them I might need a new/different steering wheel from the looks of all the images I have seen of steering wheel controls in a Tacoma. I cannot believe no one has made an aftermarket add on for steering wheel controls.

The reason I care is I have a stereo from my old outback that I traded in to get into this Tacoma. THe old stereo was removed prior to trade in but I did not do the initial install so there is a bunch of add-ons in the loom that I need to figure out what it is. The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD with the CD-BTB200 and Sirius add on module. there is a ASWC by Axxess that is supposed to connect the steering wheel controls to the HU. THere is a "TR7" made by PAC-audio that allows the DVD player to play while driving. Not sure if it will all just port over by updating the factory side connectors to Toyota from Subaru and pluggin her in.

Update: the mess of wires did not transfer over seamlessly. I did get the HU installed and working but no Bluetooth or Sirius. Also the HU is not responding to touch screen interface. Just more work tomorrow. Also seems to be very little room in the dash for all the add-on modules.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top