1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cleaning/Protecting

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by NAYo2002, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Janster, how did it do cleaning the under body of your truck ?:confused: I could use a pressure washer but I'd get soaking wet so it's still a little too cold for that. Thanks, Curious George.

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    sjwrappel

sjwrappel Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Sand Pearl Reg Cab 4x4 manual
    2008 Black Sand Pearl Reg Cab 4x4 manual, 245/75R16 General Grabber A/T, TRD shocks, Wheeler 3 leaf pack w/ overload leaf, Coil Spacer. Cruise and intermittent wiper mod.
    I have a Tri-fold and have been through Laser-Wash plenty of times over the last 2 years. The blowers are no big deal. The vinyl is tough enough to take it.

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The local car wash (Cloister Car Wash) has an 'underbody blast'. It's basically a hole in the floor that you drive over that blasts water on your underside.

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I guess I didn't ask the question properly. What I wanted 2 no is did it get the under carriage of your truck clean of salt, mud, sand, dirt etc. ? Thanks, curious George.

5. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    OOooooo... for the most part, it did. They must have had a 'weak' sprayer on the one side because I could see a distinctive line (dirt/clean) on my skid plate. :rolleyes: I figured, it has to be better than me trying to spray under there - and getting soaking wet (like you said).

6. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I guess I'll take a chance and spend the $.

7. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Just bought some 303 off of ebay. I'll let you guys know how it works when I get it.;)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    You'll like it if you want to keep everything looking good and give it UV protection. You can use it on all plastic trim, head lights, tires, dash board etc. It will keep it looking new. It will not make it shinny if the original material is not shinny. If you want shinny use Armorall. I don't like that artificial shinny look.

9. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    How safe is it on paint? It rained today and I can see a tiny bit of an oil-film on the water over the tonneau.... kindda like you'd see on a soap bubble. Is it safe for it to drip down on paint?

10. Apr 25, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
  11. Apr 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I never used it when it was going to rain. Sorry no experience. I have had it drip down onto the fender when I used it on the plastic trim on top of the bed rails. It left a drip stain that I just wiped off with a cotton towel or micro fiber towel. It didn't do any harm.

12. Apr 27, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
    Yeah, I got some 303 from West Marine when I got my truck last year. I use it on the rack plastic, tops of the bed, and the dash. Not thrilled with it on the dash, only because it seems to attract more dust to it... as much as people swear by it, I'll continue to use it to see how it keeps fade down on the black plastic stuff. Using a cheap foam paintbrush I found was a killer way to easily go over any plastic trim like the bed, tops of the rear bumper, roof rack, etc. without too much drips..

13. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the foam paintbrush tip. I do get drips here and there. I've been putting it on with a rag.

14. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    glandnut

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    secret stuff.
    Your welcome. Microfiber towel or a cotton towel works great for large areas like the bed. For areas where you want to cut an edge right where the plastic stops and a painted panel starts (like the roof rack or bed caps)- the foam brush is perfect.

15. Apr 29, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I used a Microfiber towel on the bed. I'm going to follow your advise. [​IMG]

16. Apr 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Ha ha I honestly never thought to clean the bed other than to hose it down when it gets muddy. There's no need to protect the composite bed so I'm thinking you just want it to look new :confused: I guess everyone is different :D

17. Apr 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    glandnut

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    secret stuff.
    I only do the bed walls whenever I'm detailing the truck because as bad as I've seen the shit Chevy Avalanches fading beds here in FL, I don't want all the black Taco plastic turning puke gray.

Products Discussed in

To Top