1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Tacoma Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by donovan6241, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    donovan6241

donovan6241 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donovan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    I have an 08 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport prerunner double cab. I am thinking about getting cold air intake on mi truck. Is there one i can get that dosent make a lot of noise when you acclerate? what does it look like? Where do u get it? I am new to this forum.

2. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! From the sounds of what you are looking for, stick with the stock intake. Most aftermarket intakes only make noise, and give no gain. Only a few give any real gains, but they are loud.

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    You are lookibng for an impossible product for our trucks.

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    what ur looking for is called magic it comes in the form of pixie dust. If you find it u hold the right to rub it in everyones face...:D

but seriously not alot u can do in this case that wont add sound, best u can do is go drop in a high flow filter in the stock set up. the gains r up to debate.

Prayn4surf likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    We're gonna have to duke this one out one of these days chris. :laugh:

I'd love to have a good in-depth debate/discussion on this. I think it would open a lot of insight on both ends and give us an opportunity to see things inside out.

Personally I'm all for an aftermarket intake, as it will provide great gains in the right scenario. While not all intakes are created equal, they can all be used with other mods to show positive gains.

Now saying an aftermarket intake is necessary in all situations is not entirely true. Depending on what your looking for, a drop in filter could very well be a better decision then an aftermarket intake.

6. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    LOL! Yeah, I know....THing is, I've seen them on a dyno, and they never live up to the manufacture claims. And when used in conjunction with other mods, (SC, or Turbo), they may give a little bit of gain, but not much.

7. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    20-30rwhp on a TRD s/c is just a tad more the a 'little' gain. :D

If you could, shoot me a PM with the CAI and dynos that you've tested. I'd like to see what you've seen.

Because our ECUs are a learning computer, it will take some time between mods to actually see the gains. Changing an intake and running back to back runs probably won't net you much of any gains on our trucks, simply because the ECU hasn't relearned its map and adjusted.

Plus when it comes to volumetric efficiency, the easier it is to come in and the easier it is to go out, the more power you'll make. Our trucks don't really benefit from the 'cold air' aspect but more of the less restrictive intake tubing.

8. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

Thing is, You can throw on a intake tube thats 8" in diamete, it wont matter, as the throttle body still only allows a certain amount of flow thru it. Its the deciding factor. Not how large a tube the intake has, or what filter it has. My Wife threw out all of my dyno tests, notes, etc., a couple years ago. I cant produce "proof". On the flip side, why dont you show Me? Show me a gain of 20+ Hp (thats not a manufacture "test") from an intake? There is a guy on here who dynoed his truck with and with NO filter, and with no filter, he gained 1.* hp. Which is within the margin of error of the dyno. Yes, the ECU can adjust to a degree, but a gain of 0 with a mod, is not going to turn into a gain of 20 hp in a few weeks. On the 1Gr engine, its volumetric efficiency is given by the intake runners. Not the intake before the TB. To get any real gain from the intake side, and staying naturally inducted, you need to change the intake from the filter, all the way back to the runners. Including the TB. THEN you may have a 20 hp gain. "Maybe". There are quite a few guys, and maybe gals, in Japan who get paid big bucks to make these engines as economical, and efficient as they can. If a $10 aluminum tube made a huge difference, it would come from the factory. If a coffee can sized filter made a big difference, it too, would be OEM.

9. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    buicejt

buicejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4 Door LB TRD Sport 4x4
    2010 TRD CAI, Ipod Adapter, side steps, bull bar, bug and wind deflectors, full metal jackrabbit retractable cover, electric tailgate lock, Hella 500s behind grille, relo horns mod, blu-logic hands free, seat belt ding mod, suspension TSB, tailgate theft deterent device, 5100's all the way around, grillcraft grille, Toytec TSB AAL, spidertrax wheel spacers on all four corners, Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit
    I installed a TRD CAI on my 09 last week, and I am very satisfied with the results. Definate imorovement on acceleration without hesitation, and the sound is perfect. Not loud but just the right amount of low rumble. I love it and can't wait to install my TRD cat-back next. Hope this helps.

10. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    middle
    Vehicle:
    '07 Indigo 4.0l 4x4
    the leading minor of order 1 is not positive definite.
    but don't you think though that most people want quiet vehicles and if 15hp (doesn't trd advertise the cai at something like +15 hp?) comes at the expense of much more noise then they wouldn't want it on stock? how can it be advertised at +15 hp or + anything if it doesn't do it?

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

Fine print on all of these HP claims "up to", and sometimes "On test vehicle". many manufactures convert to "Crank HP", or tune the ECU for the intake. I have yet to see any dyno showing near claimed HP gains for any intake, other than the URD. In some cases (K&N intake on the 3.4), there have been dyno runs showing a loss.

12. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    knickerbocker

Member:
    middle
    Vehicle:
    '07 Indigo 4.0l 4x4
    well crap. that's retarded. well, guess i just saved 350 bucks.

13. Apr 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    The high hp gain I saw was going from the stock intake to the TRD intake (IIRC) on a TRD supercharged truck. I'm looking for the dyno sheet now, and will post it once I find it again.

Here is a dyno done by a 3rd Party, comparing two aftermarket intakes (TRD2, and the aFe Si Stage 2) to the stock intake.

+12rwhp/+13ft-lbs, which is real close to what is advertised.

FJIntakeDyno_67b86f8255a09394124b88219fb25cddb7003953.jpg

The intake runners play a huge roll in the VE, and the TB will determine the volume of air coming in. But the motor is still a big air pump. And because the intake stroke is based on vacuum any restriction through the intake system will have a negative effect.

In regards to the engineering, performance is sacrificed for ride quality (quiet intake) and emissions. So because the system is designed to meet those requirements first there is still untapped power to gain if you're willing to sacrifice the features.

grubburg and Vassily28 like this.
  14. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    donovan6241

donovan6241 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donovan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    ok guys thanks for all your posts. Can i just change the black plastic tube to a metal one and upgrade to a k&n stock filter? what will that do?

15. Apr 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    I wouldn't recommend that.

MAF accuracy is another big part of aftermarket intakes. The reason the K&N for the 3.4L was so bad was because of the bad MAF accuracy. If your on a budget a drop in filter is your best bet.

16. Apr 24, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    All i can say is, i went from a k & n drop in to an AFe cai and big difference! It made a big difference and not just in sound. Sounds good imo and now i have the URD maf. sensor calibrator and it's even more WOW! I don't have a dyno sheet but i could definately feel the difference. So i would say i had to have gained a few ponies?

grubburg likes this.
  17. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    knickerbocker

Member:
    middle
    Vehicle:
    '07 Indigo 4.0l 4x4
    is this from an otherwise stock truck or one with other mods? also, is "TRD2" the "new" TRD intake? i'm assuming this is second gen truck? it makes sense that cai would make a bigger difference with s/c than with n/a because that's the whole point.

18. Feb 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM
    toyotomotto

toyotomotto New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jared
    canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Magnaflow catback, hid headlights, 7" pioneer appradio3, dual 10" rockford punch2's in a custom box, fiberglass tonneau, plastidipped wheels/decals/upper and lower grills/hood scoop.
    Whats wrong with a little noise ;)

19. Apr 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    GoLongJoe

GoLongJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma PreRunner -- 2WD Project
    Tires, soon to be shocks, bushings, and bull bar. No lift, not needed.

I'm going through old posts like crazy because I'm trying to figure out the best next steps for my truck. The Taco is a learning computer!? what!? what does that mean? I should never have to replace the CPU because of upgrades? I have an 05 prerunner. Would love to hear more

20. Apr 9, 2016 at 6:25 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    I do know when running a K&N filter be it for the stock air box or cone filter on their K&N CAI that a dry filter makes more hp than a oiled filter . I used to help a friend of mine with his dirt track car and with a wet K&N filter laps times fell off 3/10ths a second . A dry filter with a sock the opposite , lap times were noticeable faster

On my 02 double cab with a supercharged 3RZ 4cylinder which I'm currently @ 4.5psi and will be going to a 8psi tune I'm running a K&N CAI and running the filter dry with a sock and can definitely notice a difference over the wet K&N I pulled off

Products Discussed in

To Top