1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop n lock pl5300 thumbs UP????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trd taco guy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    i may have to retract my earlier post of "Pop n lock pl5300 thumbs down" After i started that thread i gave a call into their customer service number and the guy on the other end seemed to know about the issues i was having and he took down my info and said he would keep me updated that was a few weeks ago not even a month and all the sudden today i got a email saying there was a replacement lock in the mail so im hoping they took care of the issues. i give them credit i was very shocked to see the email from them. ill let you know how the new lock is when i get it.

2. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Great to hear. Sounds like a good company to stand behind the product. I had the lock on now for about a year with no issues. hopefully your's will be like mine.

3. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    inlinejohn

inlinejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4WD LB
    3" spacer/AAL lift, Toyo Open Country MT 265/70R17, Kenwood USB, Truxedo LowPro QT, Grillcraft w TOYOTA emblem...coming soon, Avid Offroading Sliders...coming soon.
    Hope you end up on the satisfaction side this time. I installed my PL5200 recently and am happy so far. I did call Pop&Lock and they said the PL5300 has the spring update, but the PL5200 doesn't. Keep everyone up-to-date as to your experience with the update.

4. Apr 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    well i got the new handle in today and installed it. there are a couple of very subtle changes. it seems to operate better but we will have to see overtime how it holds up. supposedly they changed the spring but it looks pretty similar to me and they put a bunch of grease on the friction points. there is also a smaller sized washer but that is all i noticed. Now i can open my tailgate with one hand again, so im happy. before i had to put pressure on a certain point of my tailgate with one hand and then pull the handle just right with the other and maybe i would get it open. i put some pics the new one is on the right i didnt transfer anything from the old one yet(on the left) so in the pics the old one still has the red and black clips and the camera installed on it.

P1010258.jpg
    P1010259.jpg
    P1010260.jpg

5. May 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Just ordered mine from a local shop... I told them if it looks flimsy I won't take it since the sample they showed me was pretty solid.

6. May 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    motopilot

motopilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '22 DC TRD SPORT
    Taco Guy, please let us know how this work out. I was about to order one about a month ago and decided against as I have heard some of the same problems you posted. Now can you open and close the gate without using the ket? Does it lock everytime you close the gate? Guess also I have to find a shop with the new updated version.

7. May 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Yes def update. This way I can make a better decision or whether or not to go w/ the electronic version. Is the material still flimsy? Do you still have issues?

Note: I just realized now that the model they showed me was a 5200... so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

8. May 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I took three pieces of heat shrink and put over the plastic striker to take some of the play out of the handle, didn't like how the handle moved a little close to 1/4" before hitting the release bar, then lots of silicon and grease.

9. May 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    so far so good i can still open tailgate with just one hand unlike when i had the old handle (if i could open it at all). you dont need the key to open and close the tailgate as long as it isnt locked. And no tailgate doesn't lock every time you close it only when you manually lock it with the key. as far as being flimsy i didnt really feel that either the old or new handle was flimsy the plastic on both seems to be the same thickness from what i remeber. if i have any issues that start happening i will let you know. hope this helps

10. May 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully, I will get the newly updated version. It's probably a lot cheaper to get it online but I decided to get it from a local dealer since I don't have to take it unless I'm satified with quality of the product.

Is the plastic same hardness/thickness as the factory handle? Does it affect the backup camera usefullness at all (i.e. weird angles, etc?)

11. May 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    the stock handle does seem to have some areas where it is a bit thicker then the pop n lock or at least from what i can see but i dont think that the pop n lock is weak or flimsy.
    being that the camera is mounted on the opposite side of the handle from the oem handle that is the only real difference in angle otherwise you can pretty much see the same. so if you could see the whole side of the passenger corner of the bumper and most of the driver side corner with the oem handle, you should see all the driver side and part of the passenger side. either way its no major difference in my opinion

12. May 12, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Any updates? I guess no news is good news :)

Anyhow, I went to the local shop to pick it up and decided not to take it because it had a few scratches on it. I understand minor wear and tear but not a deep scratch on a new handle.

That said, I decided to order one from truckalterations since it's only $47 there. I hope I get the updated version. This along with my Advantage TorzaTop will allow me to keep stuff in the bed.

Really still wishing they made PL5200 style lock though since that way I wouldn't have to remove the factory handle.

Have you had any experiences with what's being discussed on this thread?

13. May 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    no updates......what do you want me to give you a daily update i just posted a update 3 days b4 your post lol

as far as having issues that relate to the link you put up those were some of the issues that i was having with the old handle but havnt had any issues with the replacement so far. ill keep the daily updates coming to keep NAYo2002 happy :) j/k

14. May 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:

Ha ha.. thanks bud :D

15. May 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
  16. May 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    FixedTRD

FixedTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Alhambra, CA
    All pro LT, All pro front bumper,All pro rear fox, 1.5 full leaf and u bolt flip kit. KR sliders, bestop, high lift with custom mount, katskin leather, Hankook MT and atx artillery. DMZ SUA w/FOX triple bypass
    How can you tell from the old version with the new version. I found one on ebay and was about to order it till I saw this post.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. May 17, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    The washer is smaller I think. Truckalterations.com got the new version. I just got mine because they told me they accepted delivery of new ones from pop & lock two weeks ago. It's $47 shipped from them too so probably beats ebay price.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. May 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    if you actually read my post and look at the pictures i explain the differences

19. May 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    I think the spring they replaced is the one next to the new washer. That's the only one that could make it not auto-lock.

Products Discussed in

To Top