1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

air bags

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by l_prettyman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Apr 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    l_prettyman

l_prettyman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad
    anybody running air bags as a helper? how is it set up? cost? so on and so forth :D

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    I recently purchased a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags from autoanything.com. Cost $250 shipped to my door.
    Have not installed it yet - plan to, in the next week or so. I got this kit becasue of some reviews I read here.

Also picked up some used bumpstops and cut them on a bandsaw before hand, to make the install go quicker. This way i dont have to putz around with a hacksaw, cutting the bumstops on the truck while doing the install. I will take pics while I do the isntallation and post here.

3. May 1, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    l_prettyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad

thank you for taking pictures when you install them. i was going to get the leaf spring TSB done but im not under warrenty anymore and the dealer said it would be roughly 1400 not including labor. i said f**k that

4. May 1, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I've struggled with this decision. For 95% of the time I drive with no weight in the back. I actually like the smooth ride on the pavement. I'm worried that if I get the leaf spring TSB done it will stiffen the ride too much for me.

Now for the rest of the time when I want to tow, haul firewood, mulch, dirt, and other construction material around I want it to stiffen up and not sag the rear end down. I'm looking into airbags as an option instead of the TSB. In my thinking they could be aired down for straight unloaded road use or aired up for heavier loads. I'm even thinking about adding the onboard compressor to adjust the ride on the fly.

Keep us posted on how your truck behaves after you get the bags installed.

5. May 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    l_prettyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad

will do. im thinking of doing the same thing you just said. compressor, bags, gauges and a way to air them and deflate them at the flip of a switch

6. May 1, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    soilsample

soilsample Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    I have the firestone ride rite airbags on my '09.
    I'm very pleased with them. Truck will remain level even when loaded. I'm running about 3 pounds in the bags when unloaded and hardly notice they're there.

Install is not too hard, although I'd sugges replacing the supplied locking nuts with a regular nut and lock washer, otherwise you fight the nuts all the way.

Also I suggest you leave the big bolt that goes through the frame until last. This way you can flex the airbag to move it around and have easier acess to the other bolts.

Good luck
    Donald

7. May 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    Swerve

Swerve Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    SLC, UTAH
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4X4
    I just installed the firestone ride rite bags last night with the standard duty compressor mounted in under the hood.

I was patient enough to find them on our local classifieds for $400 used but in great condition. About three hours to install the bags, lines, compressor and switch/guage unit.

I started out with a 2" lift and after the bag install it rides at 3/4" taller at 10psi.

8. May 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Swerve

Swerve Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    SLC, UTAH
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4X4
    Here was my truck yesterday (with a 2" lift):
    BEFORE BAGS.jpg
    I started by lifting the rear and removing the tires. Then I cut the bump stops off where they are level with the leaf spring ubolts.
    cut off bump stop.jpg

Next I found the best way to install the bags is to assemble the unit loosely and only take out two of the four small bolts on the backside of the upper part of the unit. Slide it in and lave the large main bolt loose. This fits pretty tight but not too bad to install. No drilling or any tough work here.
    install bags.jpg

Run the line between the two sides and then T that line to the engine compartment (watch out for getting to close to the muffler and pipe. i ran mine up the passenger side frame).
    run lines.jpg

Mount the compressor next to the battery, like Toyota gave you the perfect spot for it! Drill holes and push hardware through. Plenty of room in the wheel well, very easy step.
    mount compressor next to battery.jpg

Next I chose to mount the gauge in the glovebox to keep the cabin neat and tidy. Plus, the only good place to mount it in the cabin would bump my knee when I got in and out of the truck. You can see two sets of holes...I rotated the gauge and remounted it, try to avoid this misstep!!!
    mount in glove box.jpg

Now run the air line from the bags into the glovebox, connect to back of gauge and run the other air line to the compressor. Next run the wire for power and ground to the battery. I skipped the illumination wire part because I really dont want that light on in my glovebox whenever I use my headlights.
    friewall pass thru.jpg

This is the finished pic at 10 PSI - adds about a 3/4" to 1" inch incease in height.
    done at 10 psi.jpg

And at 60 PSI - Only for towing as you can see.
    at 60 psi.jpg

9. May 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Nice!

10. May 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Great work! You solved another concern for me and that was where to mount the gauge and switch. The glovebox is the perfect hidden location. I do wish the gauge was electronic and had a pressure sensor at the compressor. That way you wouldn't have to run air lines into the cab.

(BTW Swerve, I recognize those mountains.) I'll have to PM you if I get stuck when I do mine. You can't be too far away.

11. May 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    Swerve

Swerve Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    SLC, UTAH
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4X4
    Always willing to help.

If you mean you recognize the mountains in my motorcycle pic, that was a 40 degree day in July on the continental divide in So. Colorado. Nasty cold!

12. May 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    Swerve - excellent write up. Thank you!

13. May 2, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I have an Air Lift system. With controller, it was about $400. The bags mount forward and behind the bump stops (depending on the side) in all predrilled holes.
    [​IMG]

I mounted the compressor above the bed cubby to the outside of the bed wall and controls in the cubby to keep everything in the back of the truck.

[​IMG]

Air capacity is 100 lbs. At 40 lbs, they keep my truck level towing a nose heavy 4,000 lb. boat.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top