1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why did you (or will you) buy a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Khaos, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jul 3, 2008 at 9:43 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Lets face it.. it's the best looking midsize out there.
    Also, I liked that the towing capacity for this size of the truck is 6500 lbs

2. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    I'm getting a Tacoma since I'm a truck guy and want a reliable truck.

My big mistake was getting a new Mazda 3. Should have went for a truck for my first vehicle.

I had been considering Silverado's/Sierra's however the reliability is a crap shoot and they drink a bit more gas.

The Tacoma drives nice, is decently priced these days, and well worth the investment, I hope.

After owning a car, I realized I do need something bigger.

Live and learn, I guess.

3. Jul 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I like trucks, and IMO, Tacos are the best lookin' and best priced. That, and they're pretty damn reliable (dad's got a '97 Taco with 165K miles on it - still in great condition).

Toyotas in general are awesome vehicles. Aside from my dad's truck, my mom's had two Camrys.

4. Jul 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I hear ya on the family having Toyotas. Dads got an '07 Camry SE, Moms got an '03 Sequioa SR5, Grandma had an '06 Solara Limited but she sold it an now has an '08 Rav4 V6, and I've got my Taco.

My Sister is about to sell her '07 SE-R for a Hummer H3. Cool little SUV, but I'd rather have a FJ if I was getting an SUV.

5. Jul 11, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    New owner of an 05 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Off Road.

Love the damn thing.

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:01 PM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I had an 05 f150 before my taco and there was too many problems. I loved the way the truck looked but thats about it. Bad gas mileage (about 11), too big for me, slow, bad handling, not enough space in the back seats, didnt feel solid, and it just felt cheaply made. Ever since i traded it in i have never looked back and I am positive that I will own many more tacos.

7. Jul 13, 2008 at 9:55 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I was wanting the mid-sized Tacoma & was in the market for a truck. I read Toyota was delaying the Tacoma for another year, so I bought an 03 until the next gen Tacoma came out(hoping it would have a good resale value). The 03 was a nice truck. But the brakes weren't up to stopping, while pulling a bass boat. I had some close calls. I usually had to down shift the automatic trans to help stop(I hated doing this, it could not be good for it).

[​IMG]

When I traded my 03 a year & a half later, they gave me $2500 more than I owed. Great resale value!

The 05 I was able to buy for $23,000 total price(sticker was $29,000), with the tonneau cover & trailer hitch added. I like the 05 much better. Brakes are better. Towing is better.

[​IMG]

8. Jul 13, 2008 at 10:41 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I bought the Taco because it is just damn sexy...and because of Toyota's reputation...and because all other trucks out there are inferior.

9. Jul 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    dizrick

dizrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft Mill SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR Tacoma Quicksand
    weathertech liners,Access lorado cover, clazzio seat covers
    I have always owned a truck. My first toyota was a 1993 4x4 pickup I bought from a guy at work. It had 150000 miles on it when I bought and I sold it for more than I paid for it 2 1/2 yrs later when I bought a 2007 corolla. I missed that pickup, so after 10 months I sold the wifes van, gave her the corolla and bought my 2008 4x4 regular cab. It will be a long time before this leaves my family. This truck is awesome and does everything I want it to and gets good gas mileage to boot.:)

10. Jul 15, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've seen issues with other trucks and haven't heard the same stories about Tacos- I really like the V6, 6 Spd, and the looks.
    My wife approved too.

11. Jul 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    ToyoComp

ToyoComp Addicted Mod'r

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Off Road DC
    Sway-A-Way Race Runner 2.5 coil over (3" lift) & Icon 2.5 rear shocks on RXT springs, Total Chaos UCA, ToyTec differential drop, Tom Woods Driveshaft, SpiderTrax spacers, 8128 Pro Comp wheels, Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17, DT Long Tube headers, URD MAF, TRD CAI & exhaust, Line-X coated Famous Fabrication front bumper, Demello Sliders and rear bumper, Wet Okole covers, Rigid LED spot, driving & fog, bed mat, debadged & EBC Stage 4 rotors and pads
    Had a brand new '86 4x4 that I ran all through college and finally sold it when my job provided me a company car. Been stuck driving the typical Ford POS rep car until they took them away in December 2006. While my friends in the company went out and bought BMWs, Lexus and even SUVs, I headed directly to the Toyota dealer to grab the best truck on the market. The quality is unmatched and the mod options make this a true addiction.

12. Jul 20, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well my dad actually bought me my truck. for an early graduation present. i love it. and the best part is i can do stuff to as i get money im going for a ricer feel

13. Jul 20, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd
    I had a '95 4x4 Tacoma with 160,000 miles that never game me any trouble. In fact, I never even had to replace the muffler (how can that be?).

But then the frame rust bug hit, and the deal with Toyota was too good to pass up a new one ('08), as much as I wanted to keep the '95. The bottom line is what everyone has said: it is the best small(ish) truck out there. Nothing else comes close.

And yes, I like the gas mileage: I got 20-26 mpg on the '95 depending on the season and whether I was using the tailgate net, and I am getting the 24-27 on the '08 so far. Great for a 4x4, IMO.

And thanks to TW, I know more about this truck than any vehicle I've ever had. Thanks guys.

14. Jul 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    Taos1

Taos1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Access Roll Up Tonneau cover, Stainless Steel Sidestep bars, Pop&Lock, Grillcraft black Mesh Grill
    My buddy had a 89 Toyota pick up 4x4 with the 4 cylinder motor Xtra cab while I had an 89 Camaro IROC-Z. I live in the northeast and my car didn't do so well in the winter. He took me for a ride in the deep snow and I was hooked since. Traded my Camaro for a 96 Tacoma LX Xtra cab 4x4 V6 and never regretted it. Toyota bought that back and now I have a 08 TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 coming in a few days. Can't wait. I love driving in the deep snow and parking in deep snowy spots where cars fear to park.
    Almost forgot, I LOVE the looks of the Tacomas

15. Sep 12, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    Taco Blanco

Taco Blanco The Taco Blanco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So-Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Badges
    TRD Goodies here and there. 5100's all around Add a leaf, Big tires etc...
    I had a 4Runner and that was my first Truck like experience.

I soon started to crave the real thing.

Toyota's are Tough yet Family Friendly.
    American trucks are too forgetful.
    If I owned a FORD or a Dodge I know I would not be searching for online forums.

[​IMG]

16. Sep 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    I was born a Ford man from a Ford Family. I finally got tired of fixing my Ford, and bought my first Toyota. I am blown away by the vehicle, it's so awesome.. does everything I want it to! 17k miles, 1 year later and it doesn't make funky noises... It is definitely not one of the "big three's" trucks. Since I got hooked, my dad bought a Tundra, Mom got a Scion, and soon.. I will buy another one for the wife. Likely another Tacoma!!

What can I say... "it's just the best"

-Sam

17. Sep 12, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    For me, its always been the quality reputation that goes along with the Toyota brand.
    Back in the late '90s I owned a couple 4Runners: an '85 with over 240,000 miles on it and a '91 with over 100,000 miles on it. Neither of them really gave me much trouble.
    Since then, I bought a couple Ford trucks because I bought them cheap, but I always wanted to move back to a Toyota.
    Im leaning towards buying a new Tacoma regular cab 4x2, but after seeing what used Tundras are going for, I might go that route.
    I can get a pretty nice 4x4 Tundra with about 50,000 miles on it for $14,000-$16,000 and thats very tempting.

18. Sep 12, 2008 at 4:47 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    For me it was reputation + the best looking truck in any class.

19. Sep 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    My brother had early 90's extend cab Toyota pickup, I loved that pickup it looked good and he beat the snot out of it, he rolled in the back country and smashed the roof in but was able to drive back out. Now he has a 80's toyota with the straight axle in front and that thing is a work horse.

I just like toyota pickups.

20. Sep 13, 2008 at 2:26 PM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    I've always drove 4 banger imports (Civic/Scion TC) which I loved to mod and race and what not but in South Texas we get battered by hurricanes nonstop for a few months every year and it floods like a mofo so i got tired of getting stranded in 3 inches of water, plus it just started feeling like I was driving a kids car.. Anywho I finally decided to trade my TC in for a truck and I've just always liked Tacomas, never cared for the looks of any other truck..

Products Discussed in

To Top