1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carbon in engine and 90k checkup question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StAndrew, May 8, 2010.

1. May 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    When I was replacing my spark plugs, I took a flash light to check inside the engine as I always do. I saw lots of shinny black carbon looking up at me and was wondering how to cheaply get rid of this.

I always use premium gas (usually go with Shell) and every two to three oil changes use injector cleaner. However I bought this truck with 90k.

Next question: My truck is way over due for its 90k maintenance. What dose this include/should include? How much does this usually cost? Thanks.

2. May 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    seafoam

3. May 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    X2

4. May 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The 5zv fe is due for a timing belt at 90k. Water pump at same time, just because of all the labor to get to it (PM). I think I have heard about $500 for a shop to do it. There are writeups online if you are up to it.

Just changing the plugs might help your burn...I would recommend the OEM Densos to avoid messing with the burn characteristics...

Have you changed all your driveline fluids? Um, uh, I think 30K on the oils, unless hard service. 15k on grease...

Did it come with an owner's manual and service record?

5. May 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Oh, hey, and I am not sure, but K&N box filter? Does that use an oiled filter? Maybe get rid of that and use a dry filter (like AFE pro dry drop-in to stock air box), get some MAF sensor cleaner, and clean your throttle body. If your MAF is getting a bad read because it is fouled by AF oil, that could affect your air/fuel mixture and burn, and the TB clean is a standard service item. There are writeups on that, too.

6. May 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    scocar got all your maintance needs covered. if you know how to do that (or know how to pay someone to do it) then your good.

7. May 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Thanks scocar!

What is seafoam and how do you do it/apply it.

8. May 9, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

There is this neat thing called Google.:)

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Cleaning Varnish and Carbon Deposits - Fuel Injected Engines
    To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together.
    To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system.
    Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea Foam to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system.
    Performing a Sea Foam Engine Treatment on a Fuel Injected Engine
    [​IMG]Begin by parking the vehicle in a well ventilated area. Locate a vacuum line that you are certain DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. On many vehicles the easiest option is taking the vacuum line from your brake booster PCV. (See notes about special situations such as the Vortex or Subaru H style engines.) If you are not certain, contact a certified technician.

[​IMG]Start the engine. For automatic transmissions, keep the car in PARK. For manual transmissions, put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake. SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the vacuum hose, while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs. You will begin to see clouds of white exhaust from the tailpipes. When you have finished pouring, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.

[​IMG]Now start the vehicle again. Drive it aggressively (but legally) for about 2 to 5 miles or until the white smoke is no longer being produced.
    Ceaning Fuel Injectors or Carburetor Jets
    To clean fuel injectors and carburetor jets, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. It will slowly clean varnish and carbon deposits as you drive.
    Performance improvements may include:

• Smoother idle
    • restored power and pickup
    • Elimination of hesitations

9. May 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:

Oh, by the way, the MAF sensor is super sensitive and fragile. You need to use MAF cleaner for that. The throttle body uses specific cleaner too. (I did not mean to imply that you use MAF sensor cleaner on the TB). You should be able to find both at Kragen/O'reilly or whatever big auto parts chain you have nearby.

10. May 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Thanks for the help!

11. May 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    2004Taco

2004Taco Financially Irresponsible

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Lucas sales a fuel additive and its suppose to help with the carbon build up. I use seafoam or lucas in my fuel evertime i get an oil change. I also clean my throttlebody out with carb cleaner. Runs like a dream!

12. May 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    Fill up your tank about half way...throw in a fuel additive of your choice...then top it up...this way the additive doesn't mix with the crap at the bottom of your tank first :D

13. May 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
  14. May 12, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    THanks for everything. Seafoamed yesterday and boy what a diff.

I live a very nice neighborhood so it was a bit aquard to be spewing an ass ton of carbon out of my truck. Probably pissed of a few neighbors.

My throttle body was clean as a whistle but I sparyed it down a bit as well. Next will by my MAF (and I got a deck plate comming in so those will probably be done at the same time).

Thanks agian for all the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top