1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny Solenoid Replacement at 40,000 miles?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jhill, May 12, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    jhill

jhill [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona
    Vehicle:
    07 White Prerunner SR5
    Ipod connector
    Hey...my Tacoma has been lurching with a vengence, especially in stop and go braking and accelerating. After a couple visits to dealership, they say I need to replace 2 of my transmission solenoids (SL-T and SL-2) which will cost me about $1,300.00. Is this common? Does anyone know how difficult is this procedure and where to get the parts? Thanks!

BTW - Just bought the truck last month with a salvage title for good deal - I guess that means warranty is void.

2. May 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
  3. May 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I would say it's not common but they can go bad. I would only use OEM valves from Toyota. I don't know weather you have a 2 or a 4wheel drive but this link will show location on a 2 wheel drive they are in the valve body of the transmission. http://www.scribd.com/doc/12892247/TSB007509
    Replacement depends on your mechanical ability can be tricky if you have not done one before.

4. May 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM
    jhill

jhill [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona
    Vehicle:
    07 White Prerunner SR5
    Ipod connector
    Thx...that helps! It is a 2x4 Prerunner and the SLU and SLT are supposedly "open" according to the computer codes.

I have a mechanic friend who is willing to help. We are going to research a bit more first...Just need to hunt down a good online manual/tutorial.

5. May 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    if you search around there is one available on here somewhere...cant remember who posted it though

6. May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    This is 100% abnormal and should have been covered by warranty. The SLT valve sets the pressure inside the transmission. If the pressures were higher than normal(180psi at stall) then shifts would be firmer and quicker causing no part of your problem. The other valve(SL2) must be a shift solenoid that was fluttering causing the lurching. Drivetrain warranty is untill 60,000mi. regardless of owner.

7. May 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Toyota will not pay a warranty claim on a salvaged vehicle.

8. May 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    A salvage vehicle points to something that should have been totaled, correct? If so, who knows what kind if damage it could have had, or even a submersion event. (flood)

In that case for warranty, you are on your own. One thing I would suggest is have someone with GOOD diagnostic skills look at the truck. Many times these circuit codes may not be due to a failed solenoid. The code is for the CIRCUIT so it could be wiring, connections or even an ECU problem. Paying to put in solenoids only to find out it was really the wiring damaged in a crash would be an epic fail.

Products Discussed in

To Top