1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire swap

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by SCFirefighter, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Damn, I wish I'd gotten the TRD Offroad when I see all these flex pics. I'm afraid my stock 17" Sport tires won't get me anywhere.
    New 2010 with 1,000 miles on it. Do you think I could trade my tires in for A/T tires? If so, what's the common recommendation out there for tire type?

2. May 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    you could definitely get something out of the almost-new factory tires, though it might not be too much. As for tires, what type of 'wheeling? Just light wheeling with mostly pavement? If so, check out BFG AT's, Toyo AT's, General grabber AT2's, Hankook AT-M RF10's and the like. There is a giant thread on here with pics of just about ever tire available for these trucks, take a look and see what looks good to you.

3. May 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I'll check out my local tire guy. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to find that thread.

4. May 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the stock OR tires are not much better than the stock sport tires. all POS.

5. May 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    Dunflops are terrible.

6. May 4, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    Fireguy67

Fireguy67 Rebecca and Willow's Opa

Member:
    First Name:
    Klaus
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 4 door long bed TRD sport
    No mods- running boards, vent visors all around ,Leer XQ Cap, hood deflector,bed extender, OEM roof rack, Toyota bed mat.Nothing fancy!
    Try Tirerack.com and 1010.com for reviews. They were a great help for me when I purchased my Revo 2's.

7. May 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    x2. the rugged trails are junk tires. my step dad had them on his tundra trd OR. we changed them out right away.

8. May 12, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    wrangler duratracs, good balance of both on road and off road capability...

i got mine for $141 a tire and I think it was $741 OTD mounted, balanced no cetificates or anything.

Check out Treadeopt.com and cheaptires.com for good deals...

9. May 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    You can fit any 265/70/17 tire on that wheel and under your truck without lifting it. That means you have a whole lot of options for A/T and M/T tires.

10. May 12, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have a friend that's trying to sell his BFG's, but they are 285. He doesn't remember the height ratio of the sidewall. Can I run the 285 width on stock, or do I need a lift or spacers?

11. May 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I don't think you can run a 285 on stock wheels with out trimming and having some rubbing issues...I would stick with a 265/75/16 tire.

12. May 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    You can run 285/75/16 or a 285/70/17, but it requires the following to avoid rubbing when turning:
    -small lift (I think)
    -either new wheels with backspacing or some spacers (for instance, 16x8 with 4.5" BS)
    -removing mudflaps on the front
    -trimming fender area
    -possibly relocating the front body mounts

remember, this is to avoid any rubbing issues.

After a guy sent me this article, I'm going to move to 265/75/16 (you can read more of what I found out here)

This is a big question you need to ask, but I'd also throw out 'how good are you', and 'how hard do you go'?
    One of the club leaders for my 4x4 club wheels an FJC with BFG A/Ts, and he's had success through difficult TSF trails, Rubicon, and Moab, among other places. However, he's a very skilled driver (he's published :p), and I don't think he'd try those tires if he was straight mudding.
    Here he is on the BFG ATs, which were ready to be replaced. It was super wet and muddy that day, but he made it through. Keep in mind the pic makes it look easy.

[​IMG]

I've taken my Rugged Trails through moderate trails (and a difficult rock garden) at TSF and have made it through, though it may take me a few extra tries or heavier reliance on the locker. Being utterly new to 4x4, I'm still able to keep up a decent amount.
    It's no secret that the Rugged Trails aren't great for offroad capability, so don't buy them... but if they came on the vehicle, that doesn't mean you have to rush out and buy new AT or MT. It just means you might need more finesse or might get extra help on some of the more extreme things you do.

This is me on a moderate trail (again, pic makes things look easier... maybe this was just an easy spot :p):
    IMG_0156_e1d768d31cbdb8b7259ba0a830fbcc16685ae423.jpg

13. May 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have never done any offroading, but I bought the 4x4 taco with the intention to do so, moderately. That said, the stock street tires sure don't look like they would be good on anything other than a dirt road.

My friend has BFG AT's for sale for $400. He says they only have about 10k miles on them; I haven't seen them. He also keeps insisting they are sized as 285/12.50R17, but the 12.50 doesn't make any sense to me.

I won't be going hard or deep into anything, but I want to be able to have fun riding easy to moderate trails and maybe some mudding. I think I'd enjoy that :)

14. May 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    groundpounder17

groundpounder17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl Cab 4x4 OR 6 spd
    Welcome to TW! Your friend is incorrect on his size. Both the 285 & 12.5 are both width values, the 285 being a metric width and the 12.5 being standard measure width. I don't think that to be a good price anyway on bfg at tires with 10k miles on them. I have been looking at the toyo tires m55 tires which is an aggressive at tire that will get between 60-80k miles if u keep them aired, balanced, & rotated properly. They are expensive & heavy though as they are commercial tires. I didn't like the bfg at that I had, just my 2 cents

15. May 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    those tires are a 285/70/17. sounds like a good deal to me as DT shows those at $238 a piece. I wheeled in URE this past trup w/ a set of BFG ATs that were about 40% tread and i didnt have any issues

16. May 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    groundpounder17

groundpounder17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '09 Dbl Cab 4x4 OR 6 spd
    Wow, you guys with 17" wheels are paying quite a bit extra for tires.

17. May 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    gotta pay to play :D

i got my set used at 40% tread for $35 a tire...takeoffs from an H3....315/70/17

18. May 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Jup, I got to see them earlier today. They are 285/70/17, and the thread is like-new. Do you know the little rubber stubbles on new tires? These still had them long enough to actually grab and pull them. Look excellent.

I'll open a new thread (with appropriate title) on how to get my taco ready for these monster tires :)

19. May 13, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    sounds good. all you'll need is a good 2.5-3" of lift and some trimming of the inner fender/flare. get a good alignment with the wheel pushed forward in the wheelwell to alleviate the possibility of running the body mount. may need to do that too if it keeps it up. if you are running stock wheels, then u'll need to look into spacers. AND if you go 2.5-3" and cant get the alignment into spec, you're looking at UCA's.:D

plenty of folks in the SC that can help if needed

20. May 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top