1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED projector, or HID?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCFirefighter, May 12, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    If you just put hid bulbs in your stock headlights they will be brighter but there is no way to aim the light output so as not to blind other drivers. The halogen reflector bowls aren't designed for hid.

2. May 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    Hahaha HID is just the type of bulb used. Litterally a bulb replacement plus some tape or whatever for the ballsts.

HID= High Intensity Discharge. Halogen (stock/yellowish) light bulbs use a filament (thin piece of something) that glows when electricity flows through it. From my understanding, HID's actually have a spark that bridges a gap, like spark plugs. (Am I right about this?)

Im running 55W 5000k high/low beams and 35W 3000k fogs. I like them a lot, but the light itself is very scattered. That and the glare your headlights give off to other drivers is why most people recommend retro-fits.

3. May 13, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
  4. May 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...

You have to make them or have them made. I think they're pretty expensive. I want some but the last pair I head of, the guy paid about $750 to have somebody make a pair for him.

5. May 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter [OP] on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Well, it was nice chatting with you! I think I'll just pick up a pair of Silvania Silverstar regular replacement bulbs that claim to be brighter, and have the power of advertisement and make-belief help me out ;-)

I'm crazy, but not $750 crazy LOL

6. May 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it's a lot. I would go with the HIDs though. MUCH brighter and it you take your time aligning your headlights the light spread usually isnt that bad. DDMs kits start at $30 for their 35W kits. Be sure you order a relay harness if you do though. Extra $30 or something and you save the chance of frying some really expensive stuff.

7. May 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    theretrofitsource.com can get em to you for about 300 total and matt is great to deal with. mine were like 280 i think, then you take into consideration the hours spent trying to get them right

8. May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    I don't think one needs to change the headlight bulbs. They are bright enough. I get people that flash their headlights at me after being behind them and then pass them. My stock 06 Taco Headlights are the brightest lights of any vehicle I have owned.

Products Discussed in

To Top