1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GS500F Build/Need Help

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by NumNutz, May 18, 2010.

1. May 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Hey there riders,

I bought my first motorcycle yesterday. A 2004 GS500F. It doesn't run but was told by a friend (who I bought it from) that all it need is a carb cleaning and new battery.

So I started the teardown today. This is my first experience with motorcycle motors, pretty much motors in general so I'm hoping for some help. Here we go..

DAY - 1

Getting her off the trailer...
    [​IMG]

Okay here come the questions...

Question: The mechanism in the middle right of the photo is what allows you to take off the seat. I can't figure out how to disconnect it so that I can take that side panel off. I can someone help me out here?...
    [​IMG]

Got the tank and other side panel off just fine...
    [​IMG]

Question: These are the top of the carbs right?:eek: My goal is to "clean the carbs" so that my bike will start...
    [​IMG]

Question: This picture is taken underneath the carbs. Like I said I want to make sure the bike will start so... Above that wire (right where it gets fat) there is a opening and it kinda looks like it opens to the internals of the carb. Around it looks like there has been some overspray of some kind and it has collected dirt. Is that an opening where I can spray carb cleaner and then possibly not have to remove the carbs themselves?
    [​IMG]

Question: This picture is again taken from the top of the carbs. I think these are caps to the carbs?:confused:. When I tried to take the screws off they wouldn't budge. As you can see I stripped them a little bit. I sprayed them with WD-40 as well. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Another picture of the screws that won't move...
    [​IMG]

Please help me out guys! I'm out of my element here.

DAY - 2

Held off on the carbs and went for simpler fixes...

So I drained the float bowls to make sure the bike is getting fuel here are some pictures of the difference in color...

Old gas out
    [​IMG]
    New gas in
    [​IMG]

I also checked the spark plugs and they looked perfect...
    [​IMG]

This prompted my to call the old owner (he finally answered) and he told me the spark plugs and oil were changed about 1K ago. But still months old. When I go to check the oil level though this is what I find...
    [​IMG]

How could all the oil be gone or am I not doing something right?

2. May 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Bumpy.

3. May 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    where in md are you? if close to newark, i could ride down and help with the rebuild. Lots of questions..... the cable that releases the seat comes off. the metal component might not, but the cable housing should come out of the holder, and then the barrel at the end of the cable can be manipulated to come out of the end... (bad wording i know but bear with me). If carb cleaning is really all it needs than you'll want to pull the air intake off of them. spray all up in there, poking the red straw in every hole you see. The screws towards the bottom of the carbs with springs on them are air/fuel screws... screw them all the way in, counting how many half turns it takes to get them in. Take them out. Put the cleaner nozzle in there and spray good. screw them all the way back in, and back out as many half turns as you counted before. This is a basic clean. For anything more indepth you'll have to take more stuff off. (fyi its possible, but unlikely that a '04 needs carbs cleaned so bad it wont run..) but hope so for you! Either way these things are always easy fixes

4. May 18, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Hahaha no where near newark. I'm in Annapolis.

The peacock valve was left on for a few months so I'm pretty sure that would make the carbs so bad it wouldn't start. Also, GS500s are known for their carb issues. I'm hoping it turns out to be an easy fix as well.

5. May 20, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    DAY - 2

Held off on the carbs and went for simpler fixes...

So I drained the float bowls to make sure the bike is getting fuel here are some pictures of the difference in color...

Old gas out
    [​IMG]
    New gas in
    [​IMG]

I also checked the spark plugs and they looked perfect...
    [​IMG]

This prompted my to call the old owner (he finally answered) and he told me the spark plugs and oil were changed about 1K ago. But still months old. When I go to check the oil level though this is what I find...
    [​IMG]

How could all the oil be gone or am I not doing something right?

6. May 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    The petcock should have a vacuum line to it that only lets gas through it when the bike is running. At least my DRZ 400 has one. As far as oil goes, I would drain the crankcase and start over with new. Don't use an energy conserving oil, as that type of oil will cause your clutch to slip over time. Use bike oil, it's not much more than regular car oil and is designed to be used in engines that share the same oil between the engine and transmission.

7. May 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    This reminds me of the gixxer I used to own years ago. When it stopped running after I had let it sit for one off-season. I tried all kinds of things; drained out the tank completely pulled the carbs made sure they were all synced up. In the end I pulled the valve cover & did the valve adjustment & it fired right up. I think all that stuff about gas going bad is a bunch of bs. I don't even bother to try to "stabilize" gas. My mower sits for ten months every year with whatever is in it. When its time to mow I just pull & go.

8. May 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    It's been awhile since I've been into the carbs of a GS500. If your going to clean your carburetors properly, you're going to have to remove them from the bike. If you have a very small pair of "Channel-lock" pliers, you may be able to grab the stripped out screw from the side of the head. If you don't, you'll need a hand impact to get those screws out. The carb diaphragm caps and float bowls are going to have to come off. Be careful taking off the diaphragm caps as some c arbs have small o-rings under them. Pull out the rubber diphragms and clean the needs but do not get any chemicals/carb cleaner on the rubber or o-rings. It will destroy the them. Remove all the jets in the bottom of the carbs and clean them. Spray some of the carb cleaner into the cap of the can and let the jets soak. The long skinny jets are the pilot jets and are likely blocked. Blow though all the jets with compressed air if possible. Look through the jets and make sure the hole at the end of the jet is completely round (unblocked on all sides) If you can see through all the jets and the holes are uniform, blow through the rest of the carb using carb cleaner and compressed air. Re-assemble the carb. There are extensions on the bottom of the carb bodies that are covered by little gold caps in them. Those caps will have to be removed. Under the caps are the fuel screws. The fuel screws will have a small spring, washer and o-ring. Carefully remove the fuel screws and make sure they're clean. Blow through the holes with compressed air/carb cleaner and make sure they are un-blocked. Screw in the fuel screws until they are barely seated, then turn them out 3 full revolutions. Re-intstall the carbs back into the bike and start her up!

9. May 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Wanta make a drive to MD?

10. May 20, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
  11. May 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    The pilot jets are plugged. Gotta pull them carbs!!!

12. May 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Your sure? How can you tell it that just from the sound?

13. May 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm sure. The pilot jets supply the fuel to the engine in the lower part of the rev range. The choke is by-passing the clogged pilot jets and allowing it to run. With the choke on, it's getting fuel. Without the choke it's not getting any fuel and it dies.

14. May 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    Tell me you have a manual:confused:

First off, excellent pictures and video!

I've owned at least 25 bikes and 9 currently, in my experience carbs that have sat for any extended period need a good cleaning, there are many small pieces that can get gummed up, the carbs need to be taken off and cleaned properly. Be glad it's a 2cyl.!

By the way you have a great looking bike!

15. May 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Thanks a lot. Best $1200 I've ever spent. I don't have a manual. I bought one today. I'm going to meet up with a member on a GS500 forum and we are going to work on the carbs.

This is going to be a historic budget build. I've spent $50 on a battery, I'll spend $50 on a repair manual and I'll buy my carb helper dinner. Hopefully I'll be all set after that.

16. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Okay so to update...

Bike still doesn't run great. It won't run below 4000 rpms with the choke off but above that runs and sounds great.

This makes me think something is still wrong with the idle circuit. The pilot and main jets have been replaced on both carbs. I shot cleaner into and through the openings to the internals of the carbs but I didn't actually break the carbs down and clean.

Any ideas?

Nick

17. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    broker

broker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Broker
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 T4R
    Mostly Stock with a Roll Cage
    all my experiances with carbs, if its not running right tear them fully apart and soak in carb cleaner for a day or two and blast w compressed cleaner or air and then rebuild. with your oil issue, is that with the engine cold and on the kick stand? i know for my gsxr cold and on kick stand it wont register either. its made to measure the oil while its on a rear tire stand sitting up straight(atleast that how the service manual says to check the oil level).

Products Discussed in

To Top