1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rjclemen, May 21, 2010.

1. May 21, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    So I bought my taco with an aftermarket rear camera. I just recently purchased a new stereo (double din) with the screen and all and realized that I can have my rear back up video signal displayed on the screen. I have tried searching for a good write up on how to do this and I cant find anything. Where should I be looking for information has to how I would move the wire/get to it/make it work?

2. May 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    CRfofiddyF

CRfofiddyF Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR 4x4
    I would say on the stereo's manual. You also need to make sure that the camera is compatible with the head unit.
    Hope this kind of helps..

3. May 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    RedskinRedTaco

RedskinRedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4 Offroad Crewcab
    Trifecta folding Touneau Cover, 275/70/16 LTX M/S, Running Boards, Dynamat, tint, Alpine W404 Video system w/ backup cam, Sirius Sat, Polk Audio Component Speakers frt and back, Alpine 4x50 amp. Billy's 5100's set @ 1 3/4, 1" rear blocks, Rear TSB, trimmed frt mud flaps 4", TRD Exhuast, K&N filter. Electric Brake.
    Its very easy. I have a boyo license plate frame with the camera built in and a alpine w404 in the dash. i didnt do the hookup, but its very easy. just need power , ground and video cable. The hardest part is hooking the radio up to your shifter so it comes on automaticly when you put it in reverse. Boyo kits come with everything you need. If i would have bought the alpine camera i could hit a button and see behind me while driving. Love my backup camera!!! If you order form Crutchfield you can't go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

006_8130f86b3cf32f578e6b6056a8c62169cf32d069.jpg

4. May 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Most after market camera's use a composite cable for video signal. You will likely need to find that cable somewhere in your dash.

As far as connecting to your HU, you'll need to locate the correct input for it. You may also need to buy an adapter specific for your HU.

When in doubt, consult the owners manuals for both the camera and the HU. They're online somewhere. Without Model Numbers we cant help. Better of going to manufacturers site.

5. May 21, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    I did my own back up camera install and it was pretty easy. Your camera should have a video composite output wire, run that wire to your cab and connect it to the reverse input on your headunit. Now for the reverse signal you can tap in to your reverse lights, the camera will come on automatically when you shift to reverse. Dont forget to get a solid ground connection as well. And thats it you're done!

6. May 21, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    Thanks for all the info guys. Luckily I called the best buy right next to me and they were like just come here and we will get it squared away cost ya 100 bucks. I was like no headache and all you need is money? Deal made sir.

7. May 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    $100 ?????? Fuck that!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top