1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trade-In Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by green hornet, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    green hornet

green hornet [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    I finally came to grips that I had to get a new truck due to another kid on the way. I put a deposit down on a new 2010 DC TRD-OR this morning. The truck is still in transit and will be on the the dealer's lot by Wednesday. They're offering $10K for a trade-in on my 2002 Extended Cab TRD-OR V6 with Manual transmission. It only has 75K miles on it and is in really good shape. I feel like I could easily sell it for more than $10K...
    My question is, if I put my truck up for sale and sell it in the next couple days, would my final price on the 2010 still stand as long as I gave them $10K in cash from the sale?
    I wish I could keep my 2002 forever, but I need more room for the family.

Taco22.jpg

2. May 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Call and talk to your sales man?

3. May 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    green hornet

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    I would, but he left at noon (EST) today. Just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation b/c I would have to do something soon...

4. May 31, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    green hornet

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    Thanks. I'll call him on Tuesday.
    My other question would be: What if I took off the black wheels with BFG A/Ts and put on the stock TRD wheels with bald tires when I brought it back for the trade-in on Wednesday? Is that a complete d*ck move?

5. May 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

I don't think so. I would take anything that wasn't stock, and part them out. The dealer is out to make money, and you are out to save as much as possible on a new vehicle.

6. May 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Take em off, they only dont give you any extra for that stuff.

7. May 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    PS What part of PA?

8. May 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    If they gave you a blanket appraisal over the phone I would say do it.

If they appraised it in person as it sits with the good rims and tires then I would say no to swapping out for the old rims and bald tires. This would be completely unethical and dishonest. Would you do this to a private party sale?

Just because the dealership is making money on your trade, does not constitute the rational that you had better screw them before they screw you like others would recommend. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to deal with a dealer for trade in. Making money is not a crime and you should not be unethical and dishonest just because it can be easy to get away with.

9. May 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    green hornet

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    I agree with you in that regard.
    But would a dealer initially offering $6K for a trade-in on a car they know they'll try and sell for $15K be dishonest?
    The only reason I thought about it was that they try and pull a fast one on whoever they're dealing with. I wish I didn't have to go through a dealer to get a new truck. I tried for 6 months to find what I wanted through any other means than going through a dealer.
    Buying anything through a car dealer is like jumping into a shark tank...

10. May 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    green hornet

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    I'm outside of Philadelphia.
    Where are you located?

11. May 31, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L

That is not dishonest, that is business. Buying low and selling high is the cornerstone of capitalism. They do not steal it from you when you trade it in and "agree" to their offer of the wholesale price.

As you have eluded to already, you know that to get maximum value for yourself is to sell outright private sale. Your current situation might not allow that so the dealer does the "service" of buying it wholesale.

People have to understand when trading a car in for a new one, it is not one deal that is being made but two. The first deal is the negotiated price of the trade in. Once again, you have the option of taking or not taking it, so nobody is being forced here. The second deal is the negotiated price of the new purchase vehicle. This is what they call the "front end" and back end" of a deal. The dealer already has an idea of the whole pie figure of what they are going to make total on both ends. They just adjust either side to get what they want to make you happy.

In both deals, you have to be educated to the maximum extent possible. Dealerships do this to make a living and have the upper hand in the regard. This is how they leverage deals to their maximum benefit possible.

At the end of the day, you have to take a "gut check" and do what you think is right.

Products Discussed in

To Top