1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Fortifying a Door

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by oofy15354, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 [OP] Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    So my girlfriends sister is a drunk slut whos dropped out of college and now spends her time stealing stuff from my girlfriend (medication, clothes, almost $1000, the dog). I usually wasn't involved (cause shes fine when im there) until she beat up my GF to steal the dog while I was at work cause she knew I couldn't come help. Their parents are useless.

I'm putting in a deadbolt in soon cause she usually opens the door with a credit card (it has a lock) but shes kicked down the door before. Its a hollow particle board door and the soffit is unusually small (allowing for the credit card) and its old, thin wood.

MAIN QUESTION:
    Besides the deadbolt, what else can I do to reinforce the door, doorfame and hinges? And kinda on the cheap DIY side here. I aint made of money for a new door.

2. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    shotgun....:infantry:

You could try to put some sort of magnetic switch on it. You can wire a 12 volt siren to a 9 volt battery and it gets pretty damn loud. Sorry to hear what a PITA she is. Good luck.

3. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Funny you should mention this, I know a guy with the same problem. Get a solid core door (shop around @ lowes, HD, lumber yards) and install it. Deadbolts in the usual place plus a barrel lock at the foot of the door center line on the door.

4. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    oofy15354

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    haha well my knives are on the way...

and im not looking for bulletprooof keypad entry stuff.

i was thinking make the door open outwards and use some 2x4s for soffits with 3in lag bolts. sheet metal the back of the door and itll be good enough for me

thanks for the kind words guys. it just sucks she doesnt feel safe in her own house

5. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Stun gun and then call the COPS.

6. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Try the old bucket of water over the door trick...

Honestly though, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Your only going to be able to fortify a hollow core interior door so much. Either buy a new, upgraded door, or figure out another way to address the issue with the broad.

7. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Uhaul-n-azz

Uhaul-n-azz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    fayetteville,AR
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Stock
    get one of these.
    [​IMG]

8. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Check building materials on Craigslist. You can always get a used exterior door (solid core) and cut it to fit. Then re-install the deadbolt. Be sure to buttress the jamb where it hangs.

10. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    kinetik873

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Restraining order!!! X325342456 on the outwards opening door also. When I finally get a house, all doors will be that way.

11. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i've renovated a house where the owner had the builder install all the doors opening outward and thought it was a great idea for safety. until we popped the hinges pins out of the locked doors and removed it

12. Jun 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    damn. id mount a well hidden security camera and wait until she does something/attempt to do something and then report her when you have solid video evidence

13. Jun 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    kinetik873

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    Hidden (interior) hinges FTW.

14. Jun 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ya they had used just regular hinges when they hung the door

15. Jun 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
  16. Jun 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Wow, sorry for the long post. Reswinging the door to swing out will make the door harder to kick in but.......... It's not an easy job and the hinges are now on the outside of the door. Pop the hinge pins out and you're in. You can get new hinges that are sealed on the bottom so you cant drive the pins out from the bottom, but you can still get them out. IMO, not worth the trouble of reswinging. I'm not sure what a door soffit is. (soffit is usually a part of the roof overhang) I am assuming you are refering to the door stops. They're what the door bumps into(or stops) in the closed position. If she's using a credit card, you need to cover the crack with another piece of trim maybe a window stop (smaller than door stop) not too thick or you'll be hitting your hand on it when you grab door knob. predrill holes so it won't split. Maybe screws long enough to go thru door frame and into the stud framing. DO NOT put screws in so tight that you cause the door frame to move, this will affect the closing/shutting of the door. Also your deadbolt "keeper" (the part with hole in it on the door frame, not the lock part on the door) should have screws long enough to go into the stud framing. Okay, this part may be hard to explain. Not the deadbolt but the door lock, the part that slides in and out is called the bolt. It has an angle on it that hits the "keeper" first. On the side opposite of the angle is a smaller "bolt". The smaller bolt is not supposed to go inside the hole in the "keeper" It is only supposed to hit keeper. If it goes in the hole the lock can be jimmied, If the small bolt doesn't go in the hole, the bigger bolt can't be jimmied (or pushed back with a CC) You might have to reposition your door lock keeper to achieve this. If you're not follwing me, open the door and push the bolt in with your finger. Now push the smaller bolt partially in, as if it were hitting the keeper but not going in keeper hole and you now can't push the main bolt in with your finger. Fix this, put longer screws in the keepers and maybe build out the door stops and you should be as good as you're going to get without a solid door. One more thing, locks only keep honest people out. If they can't get in the door, they'll just move to the window. That's another chapter.

17. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    oofy15354

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    yeah kinda forgot about the hinges. i just learned shes pushed the pins out before.

i do mean stops when i say soffit. thats what ive always called them. and i never knew about the pin there, i always assumed that it was supposed to go in. hmm ill see what i can do for now. shes getting a solid core soon. well ill keep thinking.

in the mean time, i put a bowed metal strip in front of the outer knob to make the angle too tight for a credit card and put a new "keeper", as 05 TRD called it, case she didnt actually have one before. it was just wood

18. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    ShaShasBoo

ShaShasBoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner
    Purchase a cheap metal door, then rig a car battery to the door.

19. Jun 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You can get hinges that have tabs to prevent the door from being pulled out with the pins removed. Plywood on door exterior will reinforce it well. Leave a cutout for the handle and deadbolt that won't make it too thick there.
    Replace the door jamb with a 2x6 instead of the thin stuff. Make sure to anchor it well to the wall.
    You can do all of this with a tape measure, hand saw, drill, hole saw, and dogged determination.
    Another option is a steel bar across the interior and exterior with an eye through the door. Padlock the two bars together. The bars need to have keepers on the jamb to prevent turning. Put carridge bolts with nuts on interior to prevent removal.
    With a door that opens outward you can get a locking, floor mounted doop stop.
    Keep in mind. Nothing will stop a determined theif, just slow them down.
    Good luck!

20. Jun 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Brikill

Brikill Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top