1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Qurestion about 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JustHerbie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sep 24, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    JustHerbie

JustHerbie [OP] Who, Me?

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4X4
    I have searched a bit but have not found a direct answer to my questions so here we go...

I have a 2009 double cab long bed and all I want to do right now is level out the truck. There is a difference of about two inches from front to back.

I have read that "5100's" will get this done for me. What exact model number should I be buying to do this and where should I buy it?

Is this the only component that I need to accomplish what I want? Is there anything else I need to do at all?

Will doing this adversely effect anything else on the truck?

I know these are very basic questions and may seem common knowledge to most but this is my first truck and I know nothing about modifying suspension.

Thank you for your help.

Herbie

2. Sep 24, 2008 at 5:45 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Get your 5100's here. the only thing that is effected is the wheel alignment. get the front realigned after install go with the 1.75" setting on the front shocks for a very nice level look.

3. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:16 AM
    Neubs

Neubs Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    5100s are all that you need. You might add a premature wear to your CV boots over time but that always happens with a lift and I am talking long term. At 1.75" you won't have any other problems.

Wheelers is a good place to buy from..

Sony at https://www.downsouthmotorsports.com/ also sells them very cheap but his do not come with the factory lifetime warranty.

ToyTec sells them as well. http://www.toteclifts.com ToyTecs are probably going to be the most expensive but they come with a life time warranty.

Hope this helps.

4. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:26 AM
    JustHerbie

JustHerbie [OP] Who, Me?

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4X4
    Yes, thank you both for the quick replies!

So about the wear on the CV boots, can anything be done to prevent this?

Thanks!

Herbie

5. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    You could add a 1" driff drop but honestly it is NOT necessary with only a 1.75" lift and would be complete overkill if you added it. You will be fine with just the 5100s, and I was talking very long term wear. So get those 5100s and post some pics.

6. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    downsouth motorsports sells them on ebay best price you should be able to find.
    I got mine through him brand new in perfect shape.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    JustHerbie

JustHerbie [OP] Who, Me?

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4X4
    Okay, I'm sold. I'll order them today and I'll be back on here when I get them with all kinds of questions when I try to install them.

Speaking of, I have a bit of competence with tools and I have a floor jack. Is this something a basic novice can handle doing himself?

Thanks!

Herbie

8. Sep 24, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    you will need a spring compressor for the coilovers,

9. Sep 24, 2008 at 7:03 AM
    JustHerbie

JustHerbie [OP] Who, Me?

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4X4
    I can rent one of these from Autozone, though. Correct? I helped a friend changed out is springs a few years back and I seem to remember that we just rented that tool for the day.

Other than that, anything else I am missing here?

Thanks again all. This is a very helpful place and great people. Thanks for having me.

Herbie

10. Sep 24, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Thats pretty much it you have your tools so you should be fine, i believe you can rent them from autozone.

11. Sep 24, 2008 at 7:18 AM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    +1 for the spring compressor. You should be able to do it yourself. Also, don't forget to get an alignment afterwards. :)

12. Sep 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same setup, I set mine at 2.5" though, but I'm also 2wd so I don't have to worry about cv alignment. They ride like stock, maybe a touch firmer on small stuff but close to the same or a small bit better on rough high speed offroad stuff. They are easy to install but will be a pain in the butt to compress the springs on the autozone rental compressor. I found this out the hard way haha, but it can be done. Not much to it. You'll be happy with the results for the price. Get them from downsouthmotorsports ebay store. Got mine for $160 shipped and they ship quick.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    TexasJay

TexasJay If..Then..Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Oak Point Texas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 - Longbed
    EGR Bug Deflector, Tacoma Bed Mat, Remove secondary air filter, Yakima Roof Rack, Cobra CB Radio, Bilstein 5100 set to 1.75 in front, 1.5'' Block in rear.
    This is the same set up I was planning on performing. Just the 5100's to level out the truck, no other suspension changes. Please post some pics when you get it completed.

Jay

14. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    what size tire can you run with the 1.75"?

15. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:42 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im pretty sure that 265/75/16, or the equivalent in 17 is the biggest you can go without more of a lift. i could be wrong though.

16. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    ok thats cool and is it a good idea to get these installed now before i decide to get a lift or should i wait for the lift and do this

17. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    if you are going to lift.....i'd wait until i got it then install together. less work.:D

18. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    yeah not like im going to be doing the work i dont have any of that kind of stuff to do it haha

19. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    ok......you'll spend less money.........instead of paying to install these now, then paying to install the lift later........do it all at the same time......it may save you some $.

Products Discussed in

To Top