1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Little Bit of Oil w/ Crank Pulley Bolt Removal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Hey guys, just got done removing the crank pulley bolt and installing the longer bolt and pulley that comes with the TRD S/C kit.

When I removed the stock crank bolt, I had about a teaspoon of oil come out after I got it loose. Is this normal?

I cleaned it up, put in the new crank bolt, and ran the motor. No signs of an oil leak after 10 min of idling.

Mainly looking for input from people that have done this before for a pulley replacement or S/C install. I'm freaked because I've seen the posts about the leaking crank seal.

I don't know if my method has anything to do with it;

I held the crank pulley with a tool and 2 M8 bolts. I screwed the bolts in until they just touched the case and then I backed them out a full turn. I set my pulley holder tool on the bolts and laid the handle on the frame.

I used a 18" breaker bar and a trolley jack to leverage the handle. After about 1/8 of a turn the bolt started backing out so I used a 1/2" ratchet to get it out the rest of the way.

btw...I took pics of all this so I'll be posting that soon too.

-Thanks!

2. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I'd suspect it's probably just when you pulled it out you pulled it hard to a side somehow and it was able to leak by a bit. I'd just keep an eye on it for awhile and ensure it doesn't leak any more, plus do your regular check the oil level every fill up (which you should do anyway, i'm guilty of not always doing it myself though).

3. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Pic of the stock crank pulley after the bolt was taken out. You can see some oil on the lower half of the shaft that the pulley sits on.

Ugh...someone just tell me that its cool and I can drive it and keep an eye on it for leaks or something like that.

[​IMG]

4. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks :) Thats exactly what I was hoping the cause was. I used a jack to lift the breaker bar so I'm thinking some of the force applied to the bolt was vertical and not all rotational. Hopefully the seal will be ok...

Products Discussed in

To Top