1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood Scoop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Casey05Taco, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Sep 26, 2008 at 10:17 AM
    S_A_Aceman

S_A_Aceman KS National Guard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    Air Cleaner mod
    Trans Am shaker hood was functional, and was definately not meant to be anything other than a high performance daily driver, as are every other production vehicle. I dont understand your direction here.

2. Sep 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I say we submit it to mythbusters... :)

-------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT 1: I just submitted an email to TRD as follows....

Good Afternoon,

I am a member of a online forum (www.tacomaworld.com) and we are having a discussion on the functionality of the hood scoops on the 2005-2009 Toyota Tacomas (2nd Generation). The link to the forum thread is here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/15233-hood-scoop.html

As such, we are looking for answers to the following questions:

1. If we opened it up - would we see any difference (performance wise) of our trucks?
    2. Would the engine remain cooler?
    3. Would the engine receive better air flow?
    4. Are there any plans for TRD to develop an aftermarket TRD kit that would allow us to make the scoop "functional"?

Regards,
    Don
    ------------------------------------------------

3. Sep 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    Well writen... but we dont have cooling problems, so I doubt that anyone would persue this mod with that as a goal.
    I think the need for the airflow would be ducting that air to a CAI somehow. By simply opening the scoop there is no way to increas airfloy TOO the engine. If it did somehow, that would mean that had to be a vaccume in the engine compartment.
    Still the info they come back with will be interesting

4. Sep 26, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Thanks and you're right - I understand what you are saying... Cool air coming through the hood scoop and AROUND your engine theoretically should cool it to an extent... Thus the term "air cooled" like an M-16 or M4 Carbine...

But let's say TRD designs and aftermarket kit that allows you to... I.E. Air flows into the scoop, through a passage, into your airbox/CAI and thus into your engine. I'd consider it depending on the value that is added by doing that....

5. Sep 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    For a ram air system, basically what were talking about, I would come more near pulling air from under the bumper. That type of system has been used for MANY years buy hotrodders with great success.

6. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner
    I bought my '08 DC Prerunner Sport in May and it has given me more "WTF were they thinking" moments than I have ever had with any truck. The scoop is one of them. They must not have the sun in Japan because after driving this truck into the sun in either morning or evening I must be the only one with the damn scoop reflecting it right into my eyes. I regret trading my '04 F-150 for this POS everyday. :mad:

7. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    Cool.. does that mean that airflow is effected or not?

8. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

Sunglasses?

9. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    I dont think Ive ever heard of someone complaining about a car having too MUCH shine, but coming from a ford I can imagine the intense change. Congrats on the upgrade.

10. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Yep just had one of those WTF moments when i read that:D

11. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    Sunglasses might work... I was going to recommend a bicycle, but the bells usually have a bit of sparkle to them as well

12. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Sunglasses at the right angle will have some glare too... Maybe he could just off-road the Taco a little to take some shine off it.

13. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    Dude CANt be a redneck.. dim boys love the glimmerr!

14. Sep 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
  15. Sep 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I wish I hadn't read this. Now I want to cut the hood and install a shaker intake like my buddy's Mach-1.

16. Sep 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM
    Rockstar2448

Rockstar2448 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo Ink TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4 // 2020 Super White TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4
    2005: Toytec 3" Lift, Helo Maxx6 Chrome 17x8, Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17, Polished Billet Grill-Full Front Kit, Westin Polished SS Tube Steps, Leer 700 Tonneau, Fog Lights On Anytime, Debadged, USA Spec iPod Adapter, Britax car seat with special UNC color scheme, Window Tint, SilverStar bulbs 2020: TRD Skid Plate with front spoiler delete, emblems partial removal/blackout, Toyota folding hard tonneau
    I'm no engineer but I gotta agree. After all, Subaru makes one of the top rally cars in the WRX and it has always had a hood scoop for the intercooler. And in the "hopped up" STI model the scoop is even a little larger. So I don't see how it's a negative pressure space in the center of a hood when the scoop is forward facing and opened.

17. Sep 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    ...maybe because the STI is so low to the ground? different dynamics..

It will be interesting to see Toyota's response to Don's letter..

18. Sep 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    There.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88907&highlight=functional+scoop&page=5

Many, MANY discussions and prototypes have been spawned from the functionality (of lack thereof) of the hood scoop. The link I provided is the closest thing I have come across to what the majority of people want.

My suggestion to those of you who have a scooped hood and want to make it as close to functional as it can be, would be to contact NUCKINFUTZ (TN member) and ask for any info needed to construct the referenced contraption.

Option B: Cut open the hole, refer to butt-dyno for real world numbers.

Option C: Trade me your Super White scooped hood, for my non-scooped hood. This doesn't help you any, but it sure will help me :D

19. Sep 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    S_A_Aceman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Air Cleaner mod
    Its all in the aerodynamic design of the vehicle as a whole. The WRS is DESIGNED to have the scoop and for it to function as its supposed to. The Tacoma is not. The scoop serves no purpose, only appeal. Like the stupid crome luvers forward of the doors on the Ford Fukus. Its all in the looks.(it those looks like ars!) But hey, I could be wrong, but look at how many bug spats you get on the lower 1/3 of your winshield.. the shape of the front of the truck causes the wind to flow fairly high above the hood.

20. Sep 26, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

Products Discussed in

To Top