1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another stereo question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cbreeze, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    cbreeze

cbreeze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica TRD Sport V6 4 X 4
    Greetings,

I am looking to upgrade the stock stereo in my new 2010 TRD sport access cab. I have done a search but most people are going with double din fancy units with nav screens. Not me. I am looking for a relative simple single din, hd, single cd radio with a ipod jack. I want good sound, not loud sound so I would prefer not to have to deal with an amp.

So far, I went to a local car botique who has been in business for years. He was going to sell me a Pioneer for aboout $500.00 installed with the harness to enable me to use my steering wheel audio controls. He also told me that a hu change is allI might need to get the sound I want. If I wanted to add speakers, it would be about another $150.00.

Went price shopping at best buy and saw the same Pioneer. They had a special deal if I get matching speakers, I could have the system installed with speakers, steering wheel audio controll harness for installed $510.00.

I woud appreciate any suggestions and was also wondering if anyone had comments/experience with Best Buy car stero installations.

Thanks in advance,

cbreeze

2. Jun 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    cbreeze

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    bump!

3. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    That Best Buy deal you have there is pretty good. Maybe you could show us what the products are and maybe we could give you a better response?

4. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    cbreeze

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    chadmb2003,

Thanks, your are right. I am looking at three radios. They are all basically the same. The have built in HD, single CD player, ipod port with usb and all are 50w.

Kenwood KDC-HD545U for $169.99 blue lights
    Sony CDX-GT700HD $179.99 flip down front, blue lights
    Pioneer DEHP5200HD $199.99 red lights

All three get good reviews on Crutchfileld.

I'm thinking of going with Best Buy because of the speaker deal going on right now. Given that they are all pretty much the same, the Kenwood is nice but has blue face lights as does the Sony. Not sure how that would look with all the instrument panels on the Tacom being orange. Also, the Sony has a flip down face for the CD. Crutchfield flagged this model warning that it might not fit. The Pioneer sems to be the best as far as looks. Slimmer more modern looking face (fewer controls) and red lights on the face that might go better with the orange Tacoma instrument lights.

I would sure appreciate some thoughts here. This forum hasn't let me down yet.

Thanks again,

cbreeze

5. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Kenwood KDC-HD545U for $169.99 blue lights is the HU I have and I chose pioneer speakers and a pioneer shallow mount sub and amp. I love my system. I purchsase everthing from crutchfield and done the install myself including stripping the entire interior out and installing sound deading. I like that kind of tinkering. Anyway the blue lights do contrast the orange lights of my 07' but I like the look.
    The HU itself is exceptional. very pleased.
    Cruthfield is correct in telling you a flip down face will not work with these trucks due to the angle of the dash in relation to the HU positioning. I have a "filler" piece installed under my HU which gives me a pocket or cubby for various things. My USB and AUX inputs are actually in the rear of the HU. I prefer this due to keeping my Ipod out of sight in my glove box. (I actually have an earlier model of this HU)
    All my rambling just to say if your not into installing this yourself, best buy sounds to be the best deal, and you can not use a flip down.

6. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP345U single din w/ front usb port, aux port, & ipod controls from Crutchfield for $109. This price included a $20 off coupon from the deals & coupons section of our forum.

As TNT mentioned, crutchfield includes the fit kit & harness. I had never put a stereo in before or soldered, but thanks to lots of support from here & the instructions sent from crutchfield, I was able to install it in an afternoon!

It works great & sounds so much better over stock, I wish I had done it sooner. My truck had the non-jbl system & no steering wheel controls fwiw.
    I do not regret buying this deck at all & the price was just too good to pass up w/ the harness/fit kit.
    I opted not to go hd for no stations in my area do that yet.

The text lights are white, there are some blue highlights & red as well (which match the red in my now illuminated 4x4 switch). I do not mind it at all with the stock lights.
    Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

I do not regret buying this deck at all & the price was just too good to pass up w/ the harness/fit kit.
    I opted not to go hd for no stations in my area do that yet.
    Kenwood's 545 deck has more features which would not get utilized so thus buying the cheaper deck

7. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    cbreeze

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    tntacoma,

Thank you for the response. Ok that eliminates the Sony. I would almost attempt the install myself except for the wiring that would connect the audio controls on the steering wheel to the hu. I have been told that, not only is the harness expensive, but a little tricky to install. I sure appreciate the response.

cbreeze

8. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    cbreeze

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Simon's Mom,

The black dash kit sure looks sharp on your install. Do you recall which one it is? For some reason, Best Buy can only get the silver. They did say that I could go and get my own and they would install it with the radio. Once again, nice install there and youi did it your self.

cbreeze

9. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Here's the dash kit, $20... http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-TA205...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276964043&sr=8-2

and here's the wiring harness, <$4... http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-TA02B...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276964094&sr=1-1

You can also get a black dash kit like Simon's Mom also. I just prefer the silver color matched.

EDIT: heres the black one... http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-TA205..._4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276964372&sr=8-4

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    tntacoma

Member:
    tn
    Crutchfield only had the silver when I ordered mine as well. There is a DIY thread on here about painting interior parts. I painted mine black and it looks sharp, (sorry no pics I am at work) I tried krylon fusion satin black with less than satisfactory results. The DIY OP said he used black BBQ grill paint, I scoffed at this at first thinking that would never last. I eventually tried the black BBq paint because of the poor results from the krylon.
    Needless to say I had a nasty shoe leather taste in my mouth when I got finished.
    If you chose to paint, clean with a good degreaser and you should have not problems.

11. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    I'm not sure I'd bet on a head unit to solve your sound problem. If you were to get a look at the OE speakers in your truck (I also have a 2010), you might start there instead. Very, very light and flimsy plastic chassis, magnets the size of four stacked quarters, minimal foam gaskets for isolation... Toyota were much more concerned with cost and maybe weight than they were with sound.

Just my .02, anyway. I just replaced all my speakers this week, so it's fresh on my mind.

12. Jun 19, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    tntacoma

Member:
    tn

I actually laughed out loud when I pulled my doors speakers out. My tweeters had a larger magnet. They were by far the weakest/cheapest looking speakers I had ever seen. I keep one in my garage to show people and to chuckle at. Very disapointing Toyota!

13. Jun 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    cbreeze

Member:
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Creemore,

Sound quality not the only reason for the change. It would be nice to have HD radio and easier way to use my ipod with the car unit. The factory speakers are gonna go.

Thanks again,

cbreeze

14. Jun 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    thank you. :)
    It was a Metra kit & I was able to reuse my stock metal brackets with it. Since I had taupe interior & most of my color accents inside the truck were black (weathertechs, wet okole seat covers/console cover etc), the black blended well imo.

Your new setup with speakers will be awesome!!

15. Jun 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    after just cleaning up the mess a stereo shop did to my speaker install, I would suggest doing it all yourself.(yeah they had a good price but I ended up redoing the job.) Get the parts from crutchfield, they come with awesome instructions even for the steering wheel controls.And you'll need speaker adapters. check *********.com for them, they are kinda expensive but worth it unless you can make your own like I did.:D
    use some kinds of deadening material(dynamat , raamat, etc..) you don't need to go nuts with it, just in the larger sheet metal areas. I am totally against stereo shops these days, buncha crooks.
    anyways, good luck.

16. Jun 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    RushTacoma

RushTacoma Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    You can never go Wrong with a Alpine Head-unit!!

17. Jun 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^I've always felt Eclipse (RIP), Alpine, and Pioneer were the best head units, in that order.

I would consider adding a 4ch amp at some point, something in the neighborhood of 50w per channel. It's not just about loud.

18. Jun 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I just bought a alpine media player. I had the Alpine CDA 9856 in there, but I just couldnt live with the Blue/green buttons on the radio and the contrast with the orange dash. I yanked it, sold it, bought a newer alpine that lights up red. Go Alpine for sound. I also picked up 4 ecpilse 3 way speakers from crutchfield. 40 per pair. I have fantastic sound.

Replacing the stock speakers is a must!!! they are horrible.

19. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    If I were you, I would spend a little more on the HU that comes with a USB (to charge the iPod) & Bluetooth.

To Top